What to do and see in Vermont

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do and see in Vermont

The wife told me today she would like to travel out to Vermont sometime to see the mountains and other sights even saying I can bring the bike. Although it will be next year before we can even make the trip, does anyone have any recommendations on places to go and things to do via bike/car? Any outdoor activities that we'd love to do will also need to be accessible for Paul and his wheelchair to be worthwhile although we'll also manage as best we can if not.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Cabot Creamery, Ben and Jerrys, if it's leaf peeping season you can see all the colors right from the car. Burlington has all sorts of breweries and restaurants- if you like beer it's a good microbrewery state. Manchester VT has stick your nose in the air shopping. Queeche Gorge is cool to see and Queeche Village has world famous Simon Pierce glassworks. There are the Vermont Country Stores which are touristy and people seem to like them. You've got some pretty historical places along lake Champlain to poke around.

We just wrapped up a rally in VT and the riding is very good all over. When it gets closer you can let us know where you'll be and we can suggest some routes for you easily.

And if you plan it around this time, specifically the weekend after Labor Day you can stop into the Green Mtn. Rally and say hi!
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

The DMV.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Thank you for the information Jethro
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Yeah, Burlington area is the place to go. I hate to say it but most flatlanders tell me how beautiful Burlington is because there really isnt much going on in the other parts of the state... Lots to do up there. Smugglers notch, Stowe, Waterbury are loaded with touristy stuff just a half hour south on I-89.

Shelburne too, VT teddy bear factory is a huge draw, same with the Shelburne musem! If you do go in and check out the things there the Ticonderoga (the big boat in the musem) was captained by my great grandfather.

If your ever around in VT just shoot me a PM, I always love to meet up with GSR members.

I'm with Jethro.... Plan the trip for the weekend after labor day!!!!
          Jedz Moto
          1980 Suzuki GS1000G
          1988 Honda GL1500-6
          2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
          2020 Honda Monkey Z125
          2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
          Originally posted by Hayabuser
          Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Even though it's been 30 years since I've been there, I vote for Burlington and Ben and Jerry's!
            sigpic
            83 GS1100g
            2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

I like the fact there are micro-breweries there--I'm sure it's a beautiful state. All of the northeastern states up that way have a splendor all their own. I must trek up that way when I find a permanent job in Delaware. Owning our home in the First State is really sweet. Heck, Canada isn't that far away either!

Ed
              GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
              GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
              GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
              Originally posted by GSXR7ED
              Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                I like the fact there are micro-breweries there--I'm sure it's a beautiful state. All of the northeastern states up that way have a splendor all their own. I must trek up that way when I find a permanent job in Delaware. Owning our home in the First State is really sweet. Heck, Canada isn't that far away either!

Ed
                Highest Breweries per capita in the US.

I got at least 5 breweries in my home town. First beer I ever had was a copper ale from my home town brewer, Otter creek brewery... Which is now owned by Long Trail...

Stop be Ed! I'll give you a tour!
                Jedz Moto
                1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                1988 Honda GL1500-6
                2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
                  Highest Breweries per capita in the US.

I got at least 5 breweries in my home town. First beer I ever had was a copper ale from my home town brewer, Otter creek brewery... Which is now owned by Long Trail...

Stop be Ed! I'll give you a tour!
                  Once I get outta here in JAX Florida and head back to the Tri-State area...I wanna get to visit. Thanks Jedz!

Ed
                  GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                  GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                  GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                  Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                  Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

The Park-McCullough house in Bennington if your into large, beautiful homes from the 1800's. The man that had it built worked for John c. Fremont in California. It's a fantastic place, they even have the original blue prints.

Scott

Comment

Vermont even brews some of the beers for Harpoon in Boston, not sure what ones are done in Boston or Vermont but they always go heavy on the hops. Burlington is probably the place I visited the most for touristy stuff but usually end up in the woods somewhere. You can usually get really good deals staying at the ski resorts in the summer as it is not their peak season, Stowe or Smugglers Notch are both great areas (different sides of the same mountain). For example I am going up to Mount Snow in Southern Vermont and got a deal for 2 nights, breakfast both mornings, packed lunch, and dinner for $150 including some coupons for mountain bike or kayak rentals. That one was through living social but groupon and other sites sometimes have good deals.
                      Last edited by skateguy50; 04-12-2016, 07:33 AM.

Comment

There is nothing like soaking in a little culture, and this city has activities and attractions for everyone. Check out the history, arts, shopping, dining, waterfront and much more!

complete list here

sigpicSome of the totally committed probably should be.
                        '58 + '63 Vespa 150's' (London, GB/RI, US)
                        '67 X6 T20 ('67 Long Beach, Ca.- misty-eyed)
                        '71 Kaw. A1-ugh ('71 SF, CA- worked @ Kaw dlr)
                        '66 Yam. YL1('72 SF-commuter beater)
                        '73 Kaw. S2A-2Xugh ('73 SF-still parts slave)
                        '78 GS 750C ('77 SF-old faithful-killed by son)
                        '81 KZ 750E ('81 SF-back to Kaw. dlr)
                        '81 GS 650G ('08 back to NE&ME- (project)
                        '82 GS '82 (2) GS650GZ, L, Middlebury, G current

Comment

burlington, bennington, woodstock, green mountain national forest.
                          If you can make it just over the border east or west white mountian national forest(NH) and Adirondack High peaks region(NY) are both breathe taking..

Comment

Rt. 7 goes up the western spine from Bennington to Burlington and is great. Me and a buddy did a 10 day camping trip in that area and that ride was the best part. Maybe this is not on your route, but there's an awesome hairpin turn in North Adams, MA on Rt 2 not too far away that I would definitely say is worth a detour.

Found this youtube video of the hairpin turn: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvl9JEp1X4c
                            1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
                            1977 GS550
                            1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

Route 7 is the worst road to take... I avoid it like plague... Congested and full of idiot white plate drivers... Especially on the bike I seek alternative routes, in fact I have yet to remember the last time I took 7 to get anywhere(And I live a stone's throw away from it)... Take route 100, 30, 116, 2, 22a etc for good North South roads... Stay off 7 it's a dangerous and horrid ride on the MC. Its boring as all hell too... Take the roads I mentioned next time! Way better scenery!
                              Last edited by Jedz123; 06-08-2016, 06:18 AM.
                              Jedz Moto
                              1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                              1988 Honda GL1500-6
                              2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Working...
                              X