GS 850 Main Jets for a 4 in 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 850 Main Jets for a 4 in 1

I put carbs and pipes (4 in 1-generic-no name) from 81 gs850l-assumed the carbs were correctly jetted
    Bike starts, runs , idles well. Pulls well at low rpm-started to stutter around 4500 -ran hot.
    Carbs had 125 mains . Took them out and put in 140 mains(came w parts bike). Now pulls stronger up to about 5400-goes bleah w full throttle
    Can anyone tell me about where I should be w/ main jets with this setup-gonna have to buy some-don't wanna go thru this too many times.
    Any help or suggestions will be appreciated
    The bike in question has been in dry storage for about 17 yrs-petcock is new-original airbox-probably about 10k on bike

Thanks

Standard is 115. A lot of 4-1s don't need a change in mains and for those that do a couple of sizes will be about right. 140s are way big - sounds like you need to strip and clean the carbs before you do anything else. Plus check for air leaks.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

All kinds of red flags going up here.
      Originally posted by OBD4 View Post
      I put carbs and pipes (4 in 1-generic-no name) from 81 gs850l ...
      OK, they are from an '81 850, what did you put them on? What was wrong with the carbs that were on there before?

... assumed the carbs were correctly jetted ...
      Silly man.

Bike starts, runs , idles well. Pulls well at low rpm-started to stutter around 4500 -ran hot.
      How do you know it "ran hot"? ALL engines run hotter when they are at high RPM.
      Did your bike run before? Do you KNOW that it is now running hotter than before?

Carbs had 125 mains .
      Those are NOT stock jets. So much for ASSUMING.

Took them out and put in 140 mains(came w parts bike).
      Your only basis for installing MUCH larger jets was because you had them on hand?

Now pulls stronger up to about 5400-goes bleah w full throttle.
      The engine speed does not mean as much as throttle position does.

Can anyone tell me about where I should be w/ main jets with this setup-gonna have to buy some-don't wanna go thru this too many times.
      You should be wherever your spark plugs are telling you to go. Have you consulted with them?

The bike in question has been in dry storage for about 17 yrs-petcock is new-original airbox-probably about 10k on bike
      So you threw some HUGE jets in there and tossed in some fresh gas and went full-throttle?

How much other NECESSARY maintenance has been done to the bike? Starting it in the garage for a few minutes is one thing, but hopping on something that has been in storage that long and trusting your life to unknown parts takes someone with a little more hair on the chest than I have.

Seriously now, you obviously have some gas flowing through some parts of the carbs because the bike runs.
      Have you done ANY cleaning of the carbs?
      Not just spritzing some spray aroung the bowl area, but a THOROUGH cleaning?

Have you checked the valve adjustment?

Have you checked the brakes?

Are the tires the same ones that have been on there for 17 years?

Then there are the 'optional' things like lights.

Last edited by Steve; 09-23-2015, 12:15 AM.
      sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks for the insults and assumptions on your part!! You've criticized, but offered no real help. Hope you enjoy being Hi and Mighty!
        Front tire is VG,new tire on rear, fork tubes just done , brakes gone thru. All lights, including turnsignals work-bike just passed NYS inspection.

Comment

Yes, I enjoy being "Hi and Mighty".
          Attitude from new members is always a way to win friends and influence your enemies.

I was just basing my opinion on the facts that were presented.

And there WAS some help in there, you just chose not to read it.
          You want to bother reading it again, or would you like for me to point it out to you?

And, just to elminate some confusion, those were QUESTIONS, not criticisms.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks for the insults and assumptions on your part!! You've criticized, but offered no real help. Hope you enjoy being Hi and Mighty!
            Front tire is VG,new tire on rear, fork tubes just done , brakes gone thru. All lights, including turnsignals work-bike just passed NYS inspection.
            There is a metric crap load of helpful information and direction in Steve's post. It just wasn't the silver platter response you were looking for. Just to be clear, that "silver platter" answer doesn't exist until all the things he mentioned are addressed. And even then, there are many variables that haven't been mentioned.
            1979 GS550, 2003 R6, 1998 XR400 Dual Sport, 2004 V-Star.........

Decisions, decisions, what to ride, today.
            sigpic
            My GS550 Build

Comment

Thanks for the insults and assumptions on your part!! You've criticized, but offered no real help. ...
              And this comes from a person that can't even read?

Look at the header for the forum:
              Forum Q & A
              This forum is meant for questions having to do with the forum itself, not GS related questions. Please post to the appropriate forum ...
              Seems simple enough to me, it's in the wrong forum.

Hope he prints out a copy so he can read Steve's suggestions before they disappear.
              I ride many bikes.
              Some are even Suzukis.

Comment

Working...
              X