New to me GS1000 Street/Strip..LONGGGG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to me GS1000 Street/Strip..LONGGGG

Hello everyone. This is my new very old "drag" bike. it is a 1980 gs1000 2v motor. Stretched, raked, lowered, pistons cams head work, 190 rear tire, msd, dyna ignition, vance & hines, etc. I picked it up pretty cheap with hopes of turning her into something pretty sweet. Turns out it dropped a valve and put a huge whole in one of the pistons. I have lined up a 1979 gs1000 and a 1981 gsx1100 project bikes. both similar in price, one with title one without. 1100 has no title but only 2500 miles. 1000 runs but has 40k. my question is how difficult will it be to bolt up the 1100 motor? from what i understand 2 mounts will need to be customized, and the headers will work. but what about the electrical system? also i assume the 1100 4v will be a better buy for racing then the 1000 no? i have searched around for the past couple days but haven't had a whole lot of luck finding the exact info im looking for. these bikes are older then me so im sure someone out there has done this swap. i just need to find them and pick there brain for a bit lol...any way enjoy the pics, i know i do!!image1.jpg
    Last edited by Guest; 09-25-2015, 06:22 PM.

image2.jpgcleaned up a litle bit. needs some powder coating over the winter, once i get her running

Comment

IMG_2126.jpgsorry new here and having trouble loading more then one pic.

Comment

Originally posted by jkrum87 View Post
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]42142[/ATTACH]sorry new here and having trouble loading more then one pic.
        A common problem. You need to use a webhost like Photobucket, and you can upload links for 10 pics per post rather than inserting images via the tab at the top.
        '83 GS650G
        '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

decide how fast is good enough first?

I like your bike and the choice is yours what to do . I truly miss my "hemi" - I had a 1105 that ran mid 9's but it took a lot - A-LOT of special engine mods to get there.

My 16 valve is SOOO much faster - front 2 mounts - change - and beef up your frame . all the wiring same-- same -

No matter what you'll never be the fastest....
          the 1000 is Vintage power cool as a supercharged flat head ford.... and you can win a lot of high~mid 10 second bracket races short stroke hemi that will shake the windows.

the 1100 tscc 16 valve is the next level of power - starting in the high 11's and potentially get you in the 6's standard issue go fast machine from the box.

stock crank 2 valve 1000 can handle up to 140 HP and live for years. the 1100 can go past 160 before special parts needed.
          SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Originally posted by trippivot View Post
            I like your bike and the choice is yours what to do . I truly miss my "hemi" - I had a 1105 that ran mid 9's but it took a lot - A-LOT of special engine mods to get there.

My 16 valve is SOOO much faster - front 2 mounts - change - and beef up your frame . all the wiring same-- same -

No matter what you'll never be the fastest....
            the 1000 is Vintage power cool as a supercharged flat head ford.... and you can win a lot of high~mid 10 second bracket races short stroke hemi that will shake the windows.

the 1100 tscc 16 valve is the next level of power - starting in the high 11's and potentially get you in the 6's standard issue go fast machine from the box.

stock crank 2 valve 1000 can handle up to 140 HP and live for years. the 1100 can go past 160 before special parts needed.

thank you for the complement, i like her a little more each day lol. you are the person i was looking for and this was exactly what i wanted to hear. its basically just as easy to swap in the 1100 as it would be to swap in another 1000. not to mention the 1100 is better. I just want to have some fun not looking to be the fastest just some fun on a budget. the 1000 i have now does have head work and web cams, higher comp pistons etc. but its blown up. looks like the stock 1100 motor will be my new starting point.
            thank you again for the help. might be hearing from me again down the line.

Comment

just noticed the how fast is good enough. i would like to be in the 9s. granted its going to take some seat time to get used to the bike and what not, but i think that will be doable with a stock motor and my platform? maybe a little shot? what would it take to hit mid-high 8s but still be "street-able"? not sure if that possible with these motors.

Comment

Anything is possible with these 16 valve motors. If you are serious, call me at 714-356.784five & I will help you.
                Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by jkrum87 View Post
                  just noticed the how fast is good enough. i would like to be in the 9s. granted its going to take some seat time to get used to the bike and what not, but i think that will be doable with a stock motor and my platform? maybe a little shot? what would it take to hit mid-high 8s but still be "street-able"? not sure if that possible with these motors.
                  A really fat wallet.
                  the 1200 Bandit motor would be a better choice if your going to change the motor. It is 75 lbs lighter but if you want to stay with a GS type motor then go with a 1150 motor. High 9's is easy on a no bar bike but high 8's is a different story. How fast or quick you go depends on how fat your wallet is.
                  My stable
                  84 GSX1100EFG-10.62 @ 125 mph 64'' W/B.
                  85 GS1150-9.72@146mph stock W/B.
                  88 GSXR1100-dragbike 9.18@139.92mph/5.68@118mph.
                  98 Bandit 1200-9.38@146mph/6.02@121mph.
                  90 Suzuki GS 1425cc FBG Pro Stock chassis 5.42@124mph
                  06 GSXR750 10.44@135mph
                  00 Honda elite 80 pit bike

Comment

Trip and I put this together with my motor and a frame from Minnesota. 1327 with 38's. 10.5 compression and warmer cams. This bike runs 9.30's at 140. Base engine is a 1100 with $7000.00 plus invested. This will give you an idea what it takes to get into the low 9's. At least the way I did it... I used to run this motor in a street frame and best was 10.50's.
                    Curt
                    sigpic'85 GS1150 1428 14-1 200+hp Hang On

Comment

engine power only gets you so much.

This is a great little chassis. netted a full 1.2 seconds faster with no other changes. 1327 cc and it is light

easiest way for your 1000 to get under the 10's is a nitrous kit and a dyna 2000 - clean and easy - if used properly. or there are other more tedious options.
                      SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

IMG_2323.jpgI picked up a 1981 gs1100x today and I swapped the motor over to my 1000. a couple of the mounts are giving me trouble which i already knew would happen. but there is more mounts giving me trouble then i suspected. i feel if i grind of the bottom left side mount bracket from the frame it might fit a little better. I also noticed that the electrical system that hooks up by the sprocket is different on the 1100 so i may need to carry over the whole wire harness and electrical system. i posted a picture of what im talking about. they are different sized so i can just swap them, and im not sure what they are exactly but i know they go to the speedo/tach.

after i get it running properly, i will be looking more into a wet nitrous system. hard to find any threads on what a stock 1100 can handle. im sure plenty of people have done this in the past 35 years. i read that the dyna 2000 can retard timing automatically so thats good. maybe ill run into someone on here selling a kit sometime this winter.

thats looks like a fun little toy.. is that your current bike?

Comment

Originally posted by trippivot View Post
                          This is a great little chassis. netted a full 1.2 seconds faster with no other changes. 1327 cc and it is light

easiest way for your 1000 to get under the 10's is a nitrous kit and a dyna 2000 - clean and easy - if used properly. or there are other more tedious options.
                          I like your style! from the bikes to the toy haulers!! and i want that clutch!! couple sexy front wheels in there too.

Comment

image.jpgThe reason I like the Bandit 1200/89-90 GSXR1100 motor is that it is very easy to make the motor make some good power and the weight savings and you can buy them for around $500
                            This 98 Bandit 1200 will run high 9.30's with no bar and you can ride it to the track. It has a stock bottom end with a 1216 flat top pistons and a Nicely ported head o/s valves, bigger cams, carbs and a pipe for the motor mods.
                            Like others have said chassis set up makes a huge difference also. I have about $7000 into her including the cost of the bike.

z
                            Last edited by stetracer; 10-04-2015, 09:57 AM.
                            My stable
                            84 GSX1100EFG-10.62 @ 125 mph 64'' W/B.
                            85 GS1150-9.72@146mph stock W/B.
                            88 GSXR1100-dragbike 9.18@139.92mph/5.68@118mph.
                            98 Bandit 1200-9.38@146mph/6.02@121mph.
                            90 Suzuki GS 1425cc FBG Pro Stock chassis 5.42@124mph
                            06 GSXR750 10.44@135mph
                            00 Honda elite 80 pit bike

Comment

Originally posted by stetracer View Post
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]42267[/ATTACH]The reason I like the Bandit 1200/89-90 GSXR1100 motor is that it is very easy to make the motor make some good power and the weight savings and you can buy them for around $500
                              This 98 Bandit 1200 will run high 9.30's with no bar and you can ride it to the track. It has a stock bottom end with a 1216 flat top pistons and a Nicely ported head o/s valves, bigger cams, carbs and a pipe for the motor mods.
                              Like others have said chassis set up makes a huge difference also. I have about $7000 into her including the cost of the bike.

z

nice bike! you ran 9.30s with her or? I am interested in doing that swap and have read up a little on it. seems like it would bolt into my gs1000 frame fairly easily. I scored a gs1100 for 300 bucks so i ended up swapping that motor in this weekend. still have to button up some things but its coming alone nicely.

This is my first drag bike but im pretty sure its a decent chassis. about 71 inches long from center of the front hub to center of the rear. raked and stretched. with a 190 rear tire but thinking of running a 180 shinko hook up. any other suggestions for the chassis? besides that its just get her running/driving/looking a little better and hopefully a little silly gas come spring time.
                              Last edited by Guest; 10-04-2015, 09:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X