No announcement yet.

Stupidest Question of the Month

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i find it funny this thread went from figuring out the size of the oil drain plug to a debate over synthetics.
    If you guys think it really will make that much of a difference, I still have the receipt for the synthetic oil.
    But would there be equally as concerning drawbacks of using conventional?

I have not found the correct size for the drain plug yet.
    I dont know why i didnt just measure it in the first place.
    It's definitely larger than 21mm though. Maybe something around 26mm?
    Whenever it stops raining I'll just measure it. Been raining for the past 4 days, no clear skies in sight until tuesday.
    Sucks because its only a month or two until the bike goes in the garage and then the rain would make no difference. Ah the hold ups of motorcycle repair...

Comment

Originally posted by JerbGas View Post
      i find it funny this thread went from figuring out the size of the oil drain plug to a debate over synthetics.
      The OIL Thread is always waiting in the wings, like a badly-compressed cheap suspension unit, just ready to pop its guts.
      ---- Dave
      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

[QUOTE=JerbGas;2229680]i find it funny this thread went from figuring out the size of the oil drain plug to a debate over synthetics.
        If you guys think it really will make that much of a difference, I still have the receipt for the synthetic oil.
        But would there be equally as concerning drawbacks of using conventional?

Anytime when the word oil creeps into a post, you can bet on it.
        sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
        1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

the biggest concern I have with TODAYs oils is they lack the necessary levels of zinc and phosphorus to maintain out flat tappet cam shafts. that's why everyone here recommends the diesel engine oils, they have sufficient amounts to keep our cams going. it's really bad in the old automobile flat tappet engines.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
            Be careful tighten the oil drain plug, those threads in the oil pan can strip really easy.
            Unless you re-enforce the thread like you had done for me Bill. I have 2 oil pan covers, one installed and one waiting in the wings for my parts bike.

I use Rotella synthetic and it works great on my "T". No clutch issues.

Ed
            GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
            GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
            Originally posted by GSXR7ED
            Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Oil debates are like Herpes.. they never really go away.
              1980 GS1000G - The Beast - GOING... GOING... yup, it's gone. I'm bikeless !!! GAaaahh !!!
              1978 KZ1000C1 Police - GONE !
              1983 GPZ750, aka ZX750A1 - restored, fresh paint... Gave it back, it was a loaner !!!
              Check My Albums for some of the 30+ headaches I've dealt with

I know -JUST- enough to make me REALLY dangerous !

Comment

Well folks. It turns out the oil drain plug was a 24mm.
                But it prompted me to get my own 1/2 rachet as I was using my roommate's.
                Anyone know how good Duralast tools are? With the exception of the sockets not having all those teeth like the Snap-Ons I used to use, they seem pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by JerbGas View Post
                  Anyone know how good Duralast tools are?
                  any tool that works is "good enough"... until it fails. Craftsman is now made in China !
                  I have a bunch of Harbor freight stuff. They work. But I never ask them to work hard.
                  When I put my body weight, and a cheater bar on a tool... it's old and MADE IN USA.
                  The others above will fail every time. and remove skin from knuckles / arms / scalp. Or worse.
                  1980 GS1000G - The Beast - GOING... GOING... yup, it's gone. I'm bikeless !!! GAaaahh !!!
                  1978 KZ1000C1 Police - GONE !
                  1983 GPZ750, aka ZX750A1 - restored, fresh paint... Gave it back, it was a loaner !!!
                  Check My Albums for some of the 30+ headaches I've dealt with

I know -JUST- enough to make me REALLY dangerous !

Comment

Yep; worth keeping an eye open at garage sales and flea markets for good used tools with plenty of life in them. Compared to what they cost new, you'd pick up some real bargains for pennies on the dollar.
                    On another forum, a member has just announced he was the only bidder at a farm auction on a metal plasma spraying machine that normally sells new for £35K - nobody else there knew what it was (mostly farmers who wouldn't have been versed in it). He got it for £20.
                    ---- Dave
                    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.

Comment

Since Rotella has been mentioned frequently, what are the opinions on Rotella T triple protection? Everyone mentions the T5 semi and T6 full synthetic, but what about the regular stuff in 15W40?
                      Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
                      2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                      1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Originally posted by hannibal View Post
                        Since Rotella has been mentioned frequently, what are the opinions on Rotella T triple protection? Everyone mentions the T5 semi and T6 full synthetic, but what about the regular stuff in 15W40?
                        Nothing wrong with it. I used a standard diesel 15W40 dino oil for years, with no downside. Well, one downside - cold clutch drag on winter mornings, which prompted me to try 5W40 synth.
                        ---- Dave

Comment

Thanks Dave.
                          Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
                          2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                          1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Yeah I had a leak with synthetic, Changed to mineral oil no more leaks now !

Comment

Zombie Apocalypse Oil Thread!
                              ---- Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X