86 gs550es emissions hoses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

86 gs550es emissions hoses

Hi all i was just wondering,on this bike (it has the 2 2 barrel carbs) there are 4 small nipples that are supposed to have hoses on them and connected to a plastic connector,on my bike they were missing when i bought it, the connector is now obsolete ie not available should these be capped off or should i macgyver something will it make any difference.I'd like to get it back as close to stock as i can THANKS !

I have not worked on a set of your carbs, so anything I say here is going to be pure GUESSWORK.

In general, these are not really all that different from four separate carbs. One of those nipples will likely be to provide vacuum to the petcock. On the four-carbed bikes, that would be #2. The four-carbed bikes had a "T" between 1&2 and 3&4 that had hoses attached. Those were vents for the float bowls. There was no fourth nipple on those carbs.

If your carbs are not on the bike, it will be rather easy to determine which one will provide vacuum to the petcock. Look into the engine side of the carbs. You will see a large-ish port on all of them that is the enrichening ("choke") circuit. One carb will have an extra hole in the same general area. That is the one that provides vacuum to the petcock.

To identify the other ports, maybe spray something through them to see where it goes?

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

the two that are eqaul in size are vents
      the small one is for vacuum
      the odd man out is fuel and is the largest iirc
      vacuum and fuel are on the right side carb

Comment

I'm not in front of mine at the moment, but I am trying to picture to which plastic connector you are referring that is obsolete....and nothing comes to mind.

Can you post a picture?
        '83 GS650G
        '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

I think he has a california spec model they had an odd bit of extra plumbing

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
            I think he has a california spec model they had an odd bit of extra plumbing
            You are correct, based on this older thread.

'83 GS650G
            '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Working...
            X