Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'82 GS 750 won't start up: seeking tips

Hey gang,

Just moved back home and trying to get my '82 GS 750 back up and running. Was running fine end of last summer, and I properly winterized the bike and it's been sitting in the garage since. Haven't done a compression check, but the engine is definitely turning over. Thought it might be the plugs, so I replaced all of them with new plugs that are all in working order. Took the carbs off as well and did a semi-clean as they were pretty clean inside but made sure all the jets were free and clear. Still, after all that, the bike still refuses to start up. Any tips on what I may have missed or things I can try to get it runnin?

Cheers,
    Greg

Open the airbox and make sure you don't have a rodent nest in your airbox.

Check for spark. Take a plug cap off, put a spark plug in it with the electrode against the cylinder head and see if you get spark when you crank the engine. If you get spark you most likely have a fuel problem. If you don't get spark you have some sort of ignition problem. Is the kill switch on, or the sidestand safety interlock switch stuck?

Check the petcock. Pull the fuel line. Attach a short piece of hose to the petcock. With the petcock in the reserve position, crank the engine and see if gas comes out of the hose. If not, you have a petcock problem or maybe a bad petcock vacuum hose.

Check the fuel filter (if you have one). Remove the fuel line on the exit side of the fuel filter. With the petcock on, crank the engine and see if fuel comes out of the filter.

If fuel is coming out of the filter and you have spark, most likely your carbs need to be cleaned.

Comment

"....and I properly winterized the bike and it's been sitting in the garage since. "

How did you perform this ?- one year is a long time for even fuel stabilizer to count on.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Hey Tom,

Didn't keep fuel in the tank. Ran the bike till empty then hit the tank with some wd-40 to keep it from rusting. Even after a year the tank only had a slight bit of rust and the carbs had a very mild amount of residue in the bowls. Aside from that, they were in pretty good shape.

Comment

Thanks Ray! I'll give those suggestions a try tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

G

Comment

Hey guys,

One thing I didn't consider. If the bike is on its centerstand, does that influence the ignition?

Comment

I have a fuel filter on my "T" so I can see if fuel is flowing through the line. Definitely check the petcock...is the knob easy to turn or do you use something to help you turn it?

Let's see this TD/TZ and post a pic here:

Ed
              GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
              GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
              GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
              Originally posted by GSXR7ED
              Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by gjsuzuki View Post
                Didn't keep fuel in the tank. Ran the bike till empty then hit the tank with some wd-40 to keep it from rusting.
                I wont ask if you put fuel back in.......did you ? Was it good fresh gas ?
                82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

^^Fuel Flow is important bonanzadave.

Ed
                  GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                  GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                  GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                  Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                  Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by gjsuzuki View Post
                    Hey gang,

Took the carbs off as well and did a semi-clean as they were pretty clean inside but made sure all the jets were free and clear.
                    A "semi-clean" is not good enough. It's not the jets that get clogged as much as the tiny passages in the start-up and pilot circuits.

Just to verify you have ignition, spritz a little starter fluid into the air box and see if you get fire. If so, then drop those carbs and do a proper dip and cleaning. If not, then pull all the plugs and place them (connected to their prospective wire) against the head and look for spark while cranking. After that you should know which direction to go in.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Working...
                    X