Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SEAT GURU'S???? GS 1000 with a flat seat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SEAT GURU'S???? GS 1000 with a flat seat?

I have 78 1000 with a stepped seat. I have seen pics on the Internet of GSs with flat seats. My questions are, are there different brackets for flat seats? Are they OEM seats? I bought 2 different OEM seats that happen to be identical. One has no rubber pads & one has Suzuki rubber pads. The one without is marked as a KZ Z-1 900 seat. They don't quite fit, so I was wondering if maybe I just need different brackets.
    IMG_2898.jpg
    Not mine.

Thanks

IMG_2980.jpg
    Here are the 3 seats I have. The one on the L is marked as a KZ Z-1 900 seat (written in Sharpie). The one in the middle is IDENTICAL to the "KZ" seat, but it has Suzuki rubber pads in it. And the one on the R is the Stepped OEM Suzuki (ugly) seat.

Comment

IMG_2981.jpg
      Here is the top view. Only my stepped seat has any factory markings (sticker). It also has the same Suzuki rubber pads as the one in the middle.

Comment

Any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated. I want to change the look of this motorbike, but I really don't want to cut the frame...
        If I could make one of these flat seats work, I don't think I would have to cut the frame.
        Thanks

Comment

If I recall, the flatter seats are for the E models. You'd have to compare the frame of an E to your L to see how you would have to change things to accommodate a different seat.

Comment

Sounds like you're looking for a '78 C model (flat) seat to replace your E model stepped seat, yes? I would suggest that you sell those two Z1 seats on ebay, as they bring big $$$... esp. in the condition they're in, judging by your photos. You might post to the parts wanted section here the need for a C or '79 S model seat.

Good luck!
            '80 GS1000ST
            '92 ZX-11
            Past rides: '79 GS1000SN, '84 GPZ900R

http://totalrider.com/

Comment

I don't really know what model I've got. It's just a 1000, no letter identifier. I KNOW it's not an L. It's either a C or an E.
              The one Z-1 seat is damn near NEW! Here is mine with the "rough" Z seat on it.
              IMG_2984.jpg
              It almost lines up perfectly... almost.

Comment

Whatever it takes do it. The flat seats are way more comfortable than the ones with that silly step.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by BADJACKSON View Post
                  I don't really know what model I've got. It's just a 1000, no letter identifier. I KNOW it's not an L. It's either a C or an E.
                  The one Z-1 seat is damn near NEW! Here is mine with the "rough" Z seat on it.
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]42407[/ATTACH]
                  It almost lines up perfectly... almost.
                  E model, aka "Skunk"
                  '80 GS1000ST
                  '92 ZX-11
                  Past rides: '79 GS1000SN, '84 GPZ900R

http://totalrider.com/

Comment

Mine is NOT an original Skunk. Mine was maroon originally I think. It didn't have a tank.

Comment

I would say that the 2 flat seats on the left are from a GS550/750 from the early years. '77-'79.
                      The metal strip along the bottom makes me think E models but some of the E models are stepped.
                      A check in the Photo Gallery should get you sorted.
                      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Ok, thanks!

Comment

Alright, more seat help needed. I now have 3 bikes and none of them has a flat seat. I have 4 seats, and the 2 that go to the 850 & the 1000 are both stepped. The 2 flat seats I have are identical & are a perfect fit for the 750. But the brackets are missing and the frame mounts are on the wrong side.
                          I need:
                          1000 seat or seat pan (flat)
                          850 seat or seat pan (flat)
                          750 brackets or seat/pan

Are there any bikes that use interchangeable seats with any of these bikes?

Thanks

Comment

I'm trying to figure out the seats across models too. I am trying to get an original step seat and grab rail for a 1978 gs1000e and not having any luck. If you figure it out or want to sell that one on the right, let me know. As for finding a flat seat that is OEM and fits..
                            Gs1000s is all I know but good luck finding one of those.
                            Last edited by Guest; 11-09-2015, 12:13 AM.

Comment

The seat in that first thumbnail of the bike look like a 77 750 seat patter, the aluminum trims would be indicitive of the 78 750E stepped seat. Kinda a frankensteined together seat in my opinon.
                              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
                              X