No announcement yet.

1984 Katana 7/11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheers guys, it's great to be making progress! And don't worry Scott, still got a way to go yet!

And the motor is in!

Only a little cursing and the foamy stuff provided good protection so no nicks on the frame or motor either.

I couldn't help but stick the exhaust on as well to see how it sits and I was stoked that it sits perfectly using the highest hole on the bracket which sees it tucked in very neatly.

Untitled by starpoint73, on Flickr

There's enough of a gap under the sump as well.

1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Way to go Pete!! Looking awesome!!
      Scott
      1982 GS1000S #1 bought in 84, #2 gone, #3 in hibernation
      1983 GS1100ES #1 (bought in 03, July 09 BOM, 65k traded in 17), #2 New daily rider, #3 in hibernation
      1982 GS1100E Red #1 - Original owner, sold in 93, #2 (Red) sold in 20 to Andy B
      2018 Gold Wing Tour - new out of the crate 1st non-Suzuki in 38 years
      sigpic

Comment

Cheers Scott! I'm starting to get pretty excited about it all I can tell you! Still gonna be quite a while until she's on the road, but getting the initial fire up shouldn't be too far away now which is awesome.

And mate, thank you so much!! I received a very large box from the US today with a bunch of parts in it I'm seriously astounded by the generosity of people!

There's a bunch of stuff there including a centre stand in much better nick than mine, a tail light with the lens in perfect condition which I needed to replace, a toolkit, a gear lever which I've been chasing, a set of VM33 Smoothbores, mudguard, clipons, and more... just amazing.

One thing I'll need to do is re-think my throttle setup. I have an R1 setup which was suggested for CV carbs but the cables are way too short and the inner length is wrong etc. as well, so I'll do some Googling on what works well with the VM33's.

Those carbs are real clean too, will just need to check jet sizes etc. against what's recommended for stock Kat capacity without an airbox.

In other not quite so exciting news... I got the stator and clutch installed and I've loosely sat the sprocket cover on to see how it looks as a catch can and I reckon that's a nice subtle mod.

I've got a couple of weeks off from the 17th December so providing I can get a few more things done between now and then I might be able to attempt the first fire which would be a nice little Christmas present for myself.

sigpic

Comment

Looking great! You're almost there... can't wait to see it with all that primo body work and the tank on it.
          sigpic

Check out my rebuild thread here: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...GS-750-Rebuild

Comment

Cheers Sam! Yep getting close!

Knowing me I won't be able to resist throwing all the body work on during my time off in December, so don't be surprised if a few pic's pop up with it looking complete even though it won't be just yet

sigpic

Comment

Looks like the angle/upsweep of the exhaust follows the frame perfectly. Very nice!
              Those 33s look extra clean. Are they ready to go?
              2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

On my old '82 1000 Katana with 33s, I think I used the push pull cable setup from a GS750. Don't remember what year though. Cables were a bit long, but I just made a bigger curve at the throttle end. Didn't look bad.
                The Three Horsemen
                '85 GS1150ES (Current Income Eater)
                '83 GS1100ES
                ‘77 XLCR

"Never ride faster than you can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes."
                Porkchop Express

Comment

Yep Steve the exhaust setup has ended up spot on. I have no idea what brand the headers are but they're in excellent shape and match perfectly with the Cowley muffler! Those 33's are indeed extremely clean too! From what I see they are literally bolt on and go, although I will check jet sizes etc. just to know where they're at in case I need to change anything. I'm not expecting to need to change anything for the initial fire up at least.

Greg, cheers for that! I've since been told the Bandit throttle setup is a good fit as well but may need the "S" variant. The Mikuni distributor here in Aus (mikunioz.com) also has a bunch of cables and throttle setups available. He typically is pretty good to talk to so I'll give him a call next week as well as there's a better than average chance he'll know exactly what I need as I'm sure I won't be the first to ask about VM33's on a Kat.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post

There's a bunch of stuff there including a centre stand in much better nick than mine, a tail light with the lens in perfect condition which I needed to replace, a toolkit, a gear lever which I've been chasing, a set of VM33 Smoothbores, mudguard, clipons, and more... just amazing.

That's actually a Katana center stand, slightly different than an E center stand. Heck, everything but the tool kit is OEM Katana (except the VM33s - which were OEM on the European 82 1000sz)
                    Scott
                    1983 GS1100ES #1 (bought in 03, July 09 BOM, 65k traded in 17), #2 New daily rider, #3 in hibernation
                    sigpic

Comment

I had never heard that about the 33mms.
                      I had a set on a CB1100F for a couple years. Better start eating your spinach now, Popeye.
                      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Yep indeed Scott, all the good Kat bits!! Thanks again! I'm still grinning Really looking forward to swapping the centre stand over too. I have a brand new spring that didn't quite work with the GSX stand and I suspected it was because there was a subtle difference. Hope to sort that next weekend.

Haha yep Steve I'm preparing!! Looking forward to having my arms ripped out by the power that's for sure... and I discovered tonight if the throttle is a little stiff there's actually an adjustable bracket it attaches to so I can release a bit of tension on the spring.

Got a few things done between Sunday morning and the last couple of evenings.

Rear and front calipers are all rebuilt. The banjo's are just in loosely for the moment but those are my new HEL lines I picked up the other week.

The front master cylinder piston and cup set should be here tomorrow so I should be able to at least have front brakes operational shortly for wheeling it around with the extra weight of the motor installed. Helpful on my short but steep driveway!

I've also learned how to get to all the jets and adjustments on the VM33's, and those things are immaculate! There was the tiniest bit of varnish on the slides which cleaned up very nicely with some isopropyl alcohol but that was it.

I now know all the jetting in place and it looks like the recommended throttle response improvements have already all been done as well. The recommendation is a smaller (0.6) air jet so you can run smaller mains, and run a smaller (O-6) needle jet.

The only adjustment I made was to put the E clip on the needle back in the fourth notch as it was in the bottom notch and everything I've seen suggests the fourth notch is the way to go.

The only thing I didn't touch was the pilot air screws.

Oh, and every jet etc. is all genuine Mikuni also which is awesome and everything looked clean and clear under the magnifying glass.

The gaskets all look serviceable, but I think I'll replace the drain plug O rings as they're a bit flat although still a little rubbery.

Jetting in place is:

Pilot: 17.5
                        Needle Jet: #261 O-6
                        Jet Needle: 6DJ30
                        Throttle Vavle: 1.5
                        Main Jet: 122.5
                        Air Jet: 0.6

The only thing awkward on the carbs is adjusting the needles as there's a bit of dismantling to do, which is why I moved the E clip while I had them apart.

And here's my fancy you-beaut custom made screwdriver for getting to the air jets (two minutes on the bench grinder).

I also spoke to Mr Mikuni today and I'm going to skip the Bandit setup because for a little more money I can get a brand new Mikuni push/pull setup including cables. $70 for second hand bandit vs. $88 for brand new Mikuni is a no brainer for me.

sigpic

Comment

Hi Pete,
                          Glad the carbs are in good shape. And all original - VERY nice bonus!
                          Scott
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                            I had never heard that about the 33mms.
                            I think the euro 1000 Kats actually got VM32 smoothbores, but perhaps a British GS'r can confirm that. Their 82 1100 Kats got CVs...
                            Scott
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gs scott View Post
                              I think the euro 1000 Kats actually got VM32 smoothbores, but perhaps a British GS'r can confirm that. Their 82 1100 Kats got CVs...
                              That is correct.

Last edited by tatu; 12-15-2018, 07:52 PM.
                              sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Mmmm more Kat pic's, thanks Tatu! There can never be enough

Well I've not been doing nothing, but mostly it's been prep work towards getting ready for the first start.

A lot of fiddly things that don't look like much and sorting things like stripped sump plug threads in the cover haven't helped.

I've also had to sort some things on the 450 while I'm off work, and Australia Post delays from the weather are also being a PITA.

I've also discovered yesterday my oil pressure switch isn't working although I was positive I'd tested it successfully a while back. Not keen on getting the motor started unless that's working.

The plan was to start before Christmas but I think I'll have to be patient for another couple of weeks yet.

I've still got some harness tidying to do to get ready as well.

I found a real handy valve adjustment tool on eBay for the princely sum of $AU7.22 and it made setting the valve clearances real easy.

The carbs are also on, although if you look closely you'll see I need to re-think the indicator relay mounting as the throttle cables will interfere with it there.

Also got the front master cylinder rebuilt, although since this photo the front brakes are bled and working well.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X