Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS450 Starter Relay Wiring Question?

Good Morning Everyone,

It's my first post here. I picked up a 1982 GS450T the other night, and the previous owner, although he tried his best, really butchered the wiring. The bike currently isn't running, and I just have a quick question regarding the wiring on the starter relay. I paroosed the forum, looking for a picture, just to confirm how to wire the starter relay. I could also use a confirmation on R/R wiring.

What connects to the left and right bolts on the relay as shown here?

z8KBIwJl.jpg

Also, if anyone can help w/ the R/R wiring too that would be awesome!
    Last edited by Guest; 10-12-2015, 09:52 AM. Reason: Clarification

One goes to the + on the battery, the other goes to the starter. It doesn't matter which one's which.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

OK awesome, and it's grounded just via the plate?

Also, R/R, looks like 3 wires connect to the terminal at the top; one is a b/w (which is ground on these GS bikes right?), and then there's two wires, kind of braided together that are leading no where right now, happen to know where those would go?

ied6k0Yl.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by briggery16 View Post
        ... one is a b/w (which is ground on these GS bikes right?), ...
        Looking at the picture certainly helped, but you will have to remember to be more specific with wire color abbreviations.

We have BLACK, BROWN and BLUE wires (two shades of blue, too), so a simple "b/w" just isn't quite enough.

Yes, BLACK/white wires are grounds. There should be one connected at the top of the R/R. The factory had the other end of that wire at the battery, but one of our more electrically-enlightened members (posplayr) has found that the system works better if all the gounds come together at a single point that is not the battery. You can look up any of his posts and read about it in a link in his signature.

No idea where those other two wires might go. It's possible that there was an accessory connected that has been removed.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

OK thanks, I'll definitely be more clear in the future; I work in IT, I should have known better. I'll go ahead and remove those two extra wires, as you're right, they probably did go to some sort of accessory or something.

BTW, I checked out the family portrait: AWESOME! A family that rides together, well, rides together, and that's super cool. Thanks for the help! Look forward to getting to know some of you vets, and as I gain more knowledge, passing it along to others.

Comment

All of a sudden some home wiring appeared.

Nc9uI0pl.jpg

Comment

While you are at it, take a few moments to update your profile. It is nice to know a location. As you can see from mine, it does not even have to be very specific. Helps us understand a bit about where you are, what kind of roads are around you, what vendors might be close, what GSR members might be close, etc. It would also be nice if you generated a short signature line that mentioned your bike. Does not have to be as fancy as some of us might have, but will save asking you what bike you are working on if you forget to mention it.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Steve, if we assume standard GS Suzuki conventions(legends on most schematics) , then B/W is a unique identifier for Black with White Tracer. I believe Blue is Bl and I suspect Bown is Br. If you look at the last page here there is an example.

Comment

Working...
                X