GS1150 gauges on GS1100E?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1150 gauges on GS1100E?

I don't know if I'm positing this in the right place, but since its about a tachometer I figured I was close.
    I've started collecting some performance upgrades for my 82 gs1100e, including gs1150 cams. I figured the easiest solution was to use a gs1150 gauge set (electronic tach). So, what will I need to do to wire this up to my gs1100? Also, how do I plug the hole in the valve cover?
    1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Not sure about the gauge hookups, but you can leave the drive in the valve cover.

It will sit there and spin, but won't leak, if you have good seals in it.

Somebody probably has a better solution, though.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I actually put 1150 instruments on my '83 GS1100ES. The bike originally had an electronic tach. So the conversion wasn't too tough. Original instrument cluster was bashed up. And my wiring harness was a mess. Bought a new wiring harness for a GS1100. Just not for an "E" (oops). So it did not include the normal connection for the tach. Had to add a signal take off from the trigger wire feeding one of the ignition coils. Used that for the tach signal. Figured it out using the wiring diagram from my GS1100. Wire colors were close to what I was seeing on the 1150 instrument cluster. When riding, the tach seems quirky. Works fine till about 5000 RPM, then starts jumping around. I haven't worried about fixing it yet as I have other bigger problems to deal with on the bike - like a noisy transmission...

Comment

I have an 1150 gauge cluster available if anyone needs one.
        "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
        1982 CB900f

Comment

Just to resurrect this one -

I transferred the instrument loom from 1100E to 1150 clock set today

1. needs about 24" of additional wire as the high beam and side stand idiot lights are handed differently
          2. the gear position indicator on the 1100 has (besides the identical loom hookup) has 3 wires and the 1150 has 2 .... one is for a superfluous back light as the 1150 has a clear case on the indicator itself
          3. I'll be making up a small sub loom for the tacho tomorrow

took about 2 hours with my rudimentary soldering ability
          78 GS1000C- Now sporting 1100E suspension and numerous goodies
          82 GS750E/82 1100E/ GSXR Frankenstein bike completed
          83 1100E "rescue bike" saved from the barn
          2008 Bking - Torque Torque Torque
          Next project slowly coalescing

Comment

Originally posted by bsharpish View Post
            Just to resurrect this one -

I transferred the instrument loom from 1100E to 1150 clock set today

1. needs about 24" of additional wire as the high beam and side stand idiot lights are handed differently
            2. the gear position indicator on the 1100 has (besides the identical loom hookup) has 3 wires and the 1150 has 2 .... one is for a superfluous back light as the 1150 has a clear case on the indicator itself
            3. I'll be making up a small sub loom for the tacho tomorrow

took about 2 hours with my rudimentary soldering ability
            I know this is really resurrecting a long dead thread.... but what did you use to signal the tach?
            1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Originally posted by TxGSrider View Post
              I know this is really resurrecting a long dead thread.... but what did you use to signal the tach?
              It should be the negative side of one of the coils. You can easily verify using the schematics. The ESD came with a little cover for the tach drive.

Comment

I bought a cheap Chinese electronic tach that was the same diameter. I learned a lesson on how not to do it.

Dragon 3.75 Inch Racing Car Tachometer Gauge 7 LED Colors 0-11000

I was able to chop it up and fit it back in by butchering the outer housing and using epoxy to create a bolt on point for the gauge mounts. It was very ugly inside and looks like an epoxy crime scene. But on the outside everything looks pretty good.

After I got done I realized the easiest way would have been to sacrifice an 1100 tach and reuse the white housing and outer ring. I'm pretty sure it would have fit and been an easy quick fix.

Anyway, I tested it as I went and it all worked fine so I put everything back together and put it on the bike.

I do have a question about the coils. Does it matter if the common orange coil wires are on positive or negative? It
                seems to run the same either way.elect gauges.jpg

The new gauge is so bright, I may have to figure out how to change the speedo to an electronic type as well, although I imagine that is a much more complicated proposition.

Last edited by Gregory; 04-13-2021, 03:26 PM.
                82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
                80 gs1000s

Comment

Working...
                X