Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Japanese super sport 600 for occasional track and weekend rides???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 8ball View Post
    It has nothing to do with aggression. You will be pushing your self....maybe not the first day because it will be more structured, but your subsequent times, depending on your exuberance level....you will. When you are pushing yourself farther and farther, you will eventually find the limit. The track is as addictive as heroine. It is much safer than the street, but that doesn't mean crashes, (or even mechanical issues) occur less frequently. Quite the opposite. It means that when it does happen, it usually results in far less damage to person of machine, and there are corner workers, spotters, crash trucks and, if need be, ambulances.

Riders are usually segregated in groups according to their experience and speed (A, B and C). You would start out in the C group, and be with others who are moving at a similar pace. But believe me, the faster the group doesn't mean more crashes. Again, quite the opposite, The A group usually has the fewest number of crashes. B group actually has the most problem because they have gotten over the timidity and are starting to push harder than they are able. Not trying to scare you. It's just that the purpose of a track day isn't to putt around on a Sunday drive. It's to have fun and go fast...faster than you ever have on the street! If someone is going slow, sometimes they can be more of a danger.

You hone your skills, absolutely!! But how do you do that? By going at a pace that pushes (not stretches, mind you) your comfort zone. Once you are comfortable there, you push a little farther, and so on. That's how we develop any skill. At some point, a mistake will be made. Usually, that might result in a quick slide, or chassis bobble, that you recover and keep going, but you do have to be prepared for the mistake that results in picking the bike up off the deck. And at the track that is all it is. There are no trees, telephone poles, on-coming cars, or cell phone drivers. You dust yourself off, fix the bike and anticipate the next time you can get back out there and practice not doing what you did the last time.

But all the crash talk aside, fatigue and dehydration are a big problem. You won't realize how much exertion you are putting out...until afterward. I usually will go through a gallon of water and two quarts of gatorade in a day! Plus, without some shade you NEED to have a hat that keeps the sun off you, at a minimum.
    Thanks 8Ball

I'm a total novice to the track concepts, this post is really proving that. I was under the impression that there were days you could go with your street bike and there were instructors teaching you how to ride correctly. I would love to go for a track day and see how well I can ride and push my skills but it looks like in order to do that I'll need a bigger tool kit (trailer, tools, etc). Maybe I'm a bit too ambitious for wanting to go to the track to learn how to ride better. I just really really really want to hone my turning skills, ride fast and in turn have a machine that's really fun to take those turns on.

Sorry guys I think I'm kinda more over my head on this "track day" concept...
    Jedz Moto
    1980 Suzuki GS1000G
    1988 Honda GL1500-6
    2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
    2020 Honda Monkey Z125
    2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
    Originally posted by Hayabuser
    Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
      Personally I Ithink that's a decision you will probably regret. Some instruction and the ability to find where your limits and your bikes limits are will be a great investment in yourself and your motorcycling career. If you are a little timid about the whole thing then go to a track day and watch what the format is. I did a Keith Code school many years ago before there was such a thing as track days and it was money well spent even though I had been already riding for about 20 years. To get track time then you had to join a local club and go out during the practice sessions with real racers, I just wish they had the track day format then. I think you've spent enough time in the saddle that you'll get the hang of it really quick. My choice for starting out would probably be an SV650 of some form because of it's rideability. It won't spit you off unless you really mess up. Also find something cheap for a start because as far as I'm concerned you don't take anything out on a track you would be too upset about wadding up into a ball.
      Last edited by Sandy; 10-27-2015, 10:04 AM.
      '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Thanks for the info 8ball! I'm really leaning hard on the R6 due to the fact it's loaded to the gills with technology. I really appreciate your input. Jury is still out but it will likely come down to cost and availability. Checked CL today and there are 7 R6's in the area that are priced $3500-$4500... When the time comes to buy I think I won't have any issue getting one.

Like I said above... Won't be racing at all.. Just looking to ride a track hard and grow as a rider. The SV650 is a great torque bike but I'll likely be riding my super sport 80-90% of the time on public roads. It's going to be that bike to do 100 miles on or ride it out to the track for the day and ride it back with multiple breaks along the way. I just know I wouldn't be happy with a SV650. Just a dog when ridden flat out and for long rides, especially if I venture on an interstate. I know I'll be happier with an inline 4. My buddy has an 09 FZ6 which is a de-tuned R6 engine (98WHP at 13.5K RPM) and that's the type of power I'm looking to grab. Breaking 120mph is no problem on the Fizzy's I know its a problem with the SV650's. Thanks for the input but I really don't think the SV650 will mesh for my type of riding. Maybe an SV1100 though...
        Red flag going up! You worried about having a bike to "breaking 120mph"? Not a good mindset.

Another vote for an SV, or maybe a used/sorted out older track bike. Nothing wrong with a modern 600 and all, but please focus on safety and don't get ahead of yourself too far.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Crazy thought. Buy a spare set of wheels and tires for your FZ1 and repurpose it for the track.
          '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

I've had good friends do really well in track days on FZ1s. Plus, Jedz' FZ is already rough, so laying it down, which will happen more than once, won't mar its looks.
            "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
            1982 CB900f

Comment

Yes you are getting bombarded with enthusiastic advice by guys who love riding the track.
              Maybe it's addicting, but a lot of guys only show up for 1 track day and disappear, even very good riders too.
              Me, after a track day just this Oct. 23rd, I spent the whole weekend looking at stuff I might need, but turns out I hardly need anything. So maybe I was high all weekend because of 3 track days this summer, seems like.
              "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
              1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
              1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
              1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

done 3 on my 1100 es, they were sponsored by a chicago area bike shop, and geared toward new track riders. +1 on tires for the fz1 and give it a go, at least for the first time. less chance of wrecking on the track than on the street, frankly. not sure if they are still up, but do a search for "motoworks track day". best 3 days on a bike I have ever had. no question.

oh, and it IS addictive, if I could afford it and had the space I would have already picked up a track bike.
                1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

here: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ight=motoworks

and here: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ight=motoworks
                  1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Thanks 8Ball

I'm a total novice to the track concepts, this post is really proving that. I was under the impression that there were days you could go with your street bike and there were instructors teaching you how to ride correctly. I would love to go for a track day and see how well I can ride and push my skills but it looks like in order to do that I'll need a bigger tool kit (trailer, tools, etc). Maybe I'm a bit too ambitious for wanting to go to the track to learn how to ride better. I just really really really want to hone my turning skills, ride fast and in turn have a machine that's really fun to take those turns on.

I don't think you're really over your head, you just were a little unclear on the concept. Very common, anyone who hasn't been to the track will have some mental image of how it is, which is usually wrong.

I hadn't noticed before that you have the FZ1, taking that for you first track day makes good sense. Put some good tires on it, rent a trailer from U-Haul (or borrow one from a buddy) and have at it.
                    After that first day you'll know if you're going to want to do more. If so, then all the advice you've been getting can be put to use.

If nothing else, go to a track day as a spectator.
                    '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                      Red flag going up! You worried about having a bike to "breaking 120mph"? Not a good mindset..
                      Sorry, the thought going through my mind was drag racing... Another thing I would want to do with a super sport. The SV would be a total let down on a 1/4 mile

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
                      Crazy thought. Buy a spare set of wheels and tires for your FZ1 and repurpose it for the track.
                      Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                      I've had good friends do really well in track days on FZ1s. Plus, Jedz' FZ is already rough, so laying it down, which will happen more than once, won't mar its looks.
                      You think the FZ1 would be good for a track day? I guess it would be better for I have good report with the bike and know it's power delivery very very well... Just I didn't want to go to over my head by showing up on a liter bike. The bike currently needs suspension and brake work... Bad! It has 55K miles on it but I just replaced the engine with an 05 lump and that has maybe 10k on it now. Also the stock 180 is a bit small and tends to get weird under power exiting turns. Your right Pilot, she's definitely not pretty but if she goes down I won't be heart broken at all... I got my moneys worth out of that bike a couple times already.... Making it a track, cornering bike is something to ponder for sure. If I cleaned it up, dropped the weight (no fairing or extras), went through and re-jetted and pipe, New upgraded modern inverted fork front end and rear suspension... That thing would be a freight train, powerful and be on rails... For a steel cradled frame the thing is pretty light and on it's toes.

... Yeah... I could dig that idea

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                      Yes you are getting bombarded with enthusiastic advice by guys who love riding the track.
                      Maybe it's addicting, but a lot of guys only show up for 1 track day and disappear, even very good riders too.
                      Me, after a track day just this Oct. 23rd, I spent the whole weekend looking at stuff I might need, but turns out I hardly need anything. So maybe I was high all weekend because of 3 track days this summer, seems like.
                      Originally posted by RichDesmond View Post
                      I don't think you're really over your head, you just were a little unclear on the concept. Very common, anyone who hasn't been to the track will have some mental image of how it is, which is usually wrong.

I hadn't noticed before that you have the FZ1, taking that for you first track day makes good sense. Put some good tires on it, rent a trailer from U-Haul (or borrow one from a buddy) and have at it.
                      After that first day you'll know if you're going to want to do more. If so, then all the advice you've been getting can be put to use.

If nothing else, go to a track day as a spectator.
                      Thanks guys, I'm a total newb to the track day concept. I just want to have fun and be safer by ridding fast in a controlled environment. I plan on spending some serious cash to go to a class and learn how to ride safely. Then after maybe steal a buddies truck, show up on a track day and take my time in the lowest level and just have fun with it. If I catch the bug I'll just have to accept the fact I'll be broke.

Thanks a million guys for all your comments!
                      Last edited by Jedz123; 10-27-2015, 02:22 PM.
                      Jedz Moto
                      1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                      1988 Honda GL1500-6
                      2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                      Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

FYI the instructors at Yamaha Champions Riding School ride FZ1's and they are also available for students to ride

Comment

I tore into the FZ1 over the last couple of days and the things I found warrant a part out... Frame issues, in need of all brearings, brake lines, battery, warped rear rim, just too much to spend on a 2001 with 55k miles and a salvage title.

Thanks all for the input but I think I'm decided on a SV650. Upgraded suspension and the thing will be perfect for what I need. As my buddy told me. It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast then a fast bike slow and I truly belive the FZ1 would just be a bit too much for me.

Thanks again all for the input.
                          Jedz Moto
                          1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                          1988 Honda GL1500-6
                          2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Sure, I was looking at the 650, and the 1000 versions because I like torque. My track day coach was riding a 1000TL.
                            But, I do prefer the performance of an inline 4.
                            "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                            1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                            1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                            1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

I tore into the FZ1 over the last couple of days and the things I found warrant a part out... Frame issues, in need of all brearings, brake lines, battery, warped rear rim, just too much to spend on a 2001 with 55k miles and a salvage title.

Thanks all for the input but I think I'm decided on a SV650. Upgraded suspension and the thing will be perfect for what I need. As my buddy told me. It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast then a fast bike slow and I truly belive the FZ1 would just be a bit too much for me.

Thanks again all for the input.
                              Too bad about the FZ1. Your buddy is right. I've always run a 750 in my sport bike days when just about everyone else had litre bikes. Big horsepower can be fun but it can also get in the way when you're trying figure other stuff out. Besides, it gives you a good excuse for not being leader of the pack and you can really gloat when you are. Have fun with the 650.

Comment

The three GS1100E's I owned had enough power to keep me happy, but then I owned an FZ1 and a few Bandit 1200S's which packaged a chassis with the power and speeds of 130mph were too easy to find myself at....so I ride a DL650 and SV650 now which give me everything I want and more for street and unpaved riding and also to help avoid the 100+mph enticement.
                                Last edited by Guest; 11-01-2015, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X