Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Japanese super sport 600 for occasional track and weekend rides???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
    I tore into the FZ1 over the last couple of days and the things I found warrant a part out... Frame issues, in need of all brearings, brake lines, battery, warped rear rim, just too much to spend on a 2001 with 55k miles and a salvage title.

Thanks all for the input but I think I'm decided on a SV650. Upgraded suspension and the thing will be perfect for what I need. As my buddy told me. It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast then a fast bike slow and I truly belive the FZ1 would just be a bit too much for me.

Thanks again all for the input.
    The SV is a great choice. Hop on SVRider.com for lots of info, and let me know if you any advice.
    '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Have you done a track day? Which track are you most likely to use? My own opinion is Loudon is a waste of time. Too small and tight to have much if any fun on. The ride up and back on the streets was more fun and free.

The other part of track days that I didn't care for was 20 minutes of riding with 40 minutes of sitting in the pits in hot sweaty leathers staring at other bored to tears riders. Then you have a 2.5 hour commute both ways.

I see a lot of people ease out of street riding with the lure of track days because they perceive them as safer. Then they just leave the sport all together when the expense and logistics of track riding set in. The FZ1 site is full of folks that went this route.

Your results may differ. My suggestion is be sure you like it before making equipment investments.

Too bad about your FZ1 mine just turned 176K. Time to go for a ride.

Comment

Interesting perspective...I'll just say that my track day experiences aren't anything like that.
        '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Originally posted by isleoman View Post
          Have you done a track day? Which track are you most likely to use? My own opinion is Loudon is a waste of time. Too small and tight to have much if any fun on. The ride up and back on the streets was more fun and free.

The other part of track days that I didn't care for was 20 minutes of riding with 40 minutes of sitting in the pits in hot sweaty leathers staring at other bored to tears riders. Then you have a 2.5 hour commute both ways.

I see a lot of people ease out of street riding with the lure of track days because they perceive them as safer. Then they just leave the sport all together when the expense and logistics of track riding set in. The FZ1 site is full of folks that went this route.

Your results may differ. My suggestion is be sure you like it before making equipment investments.

Too bad about your FZ1 mine just turned 176K. Time to go for a ride.
          Louden would be where I would go firstly. Kinda why I'm leaning hard on a SV650. Cheap, light, low end grunt and apparently handle very well.

I wouldn't make the trip in one day, I'll likely crash at Lurch's or Jethro's and make it a weekend thing.

I think getting a bike that handles phenomenally well is the first step for me. Even if I don't get into the track day thing. If I can get on a bike that weighs 300lbs less the the Concours and enjoy ridding the mountains roads hard I'll be happy.

No worries on the FZ1. I got my money out of it at least a couple of times. Winter riding (salt) and Typical Vermont roads (Huge hit on unexpected holes) did a number on it... If interested the 05 motor will be up for grabs. 5' ignition advancer is all I've done to it. Just too old and beat to justify dropping more money into. Going to part it and make some extra coin for my new fuel injected weekend rider.
          Jedz Moto
          1980 Suzuki GS1000G
          1988 Honda GL1500-6
          2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
          2020 Honda Monkey Z125
          2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
          Originally posted by Hayabuser
          Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

You are keeping the C14, right?
            "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
            1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
              You are keeping the C14, right?
              OH god yes....I love that thing, the only reason I'd sell is to buy a newer C14.
              Jedz Moto
              1980 Suzuki GS1000G
              1988 Honda GL1500-6
              2020 Honda Monkey Z125
              Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Originally posted by jedz123 View Post
                oh god yes....i love that thing, the only reason i'd sell is to buy a newer c14.
                you are selling?? Dibs
                Currently bikeless
                '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
                  you are selling?? Dibs
                  LOL No Jethro, down boy. Definitely Not selling it!

Speaking of C-14's... When are you getting yours again??? I'll go shopping with you!
                  Jedz Moto
                  1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                  1988 Honda GL1500-6
                  2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
                    LOL No Jethro, down boy. Definitely Not selling it!

Speaking of C-14's... When are you getting yours again??? I'll go shopping with you!
                    Very possible I will have one next year at some point! Trying to lay the groundwork for that plan!
                    Currently bikeless
                    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Working...
                    X