Age old troubleshooting problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Age old troubleshooting problem

As we all know the issue of "bike wont start" is an age old, never ending question...

So far here is what is probably not the problem as the part is new or in excellent condition:
    -Regulator/Rectifier (new)
    -Battery (new)
    -Carbs (immaculately clean)
    -Spark Plugs (new)
    -Fuel & vaccuum lines (new)
    -Fuses (all look fine)

Electricity works, bike honks, lights go on, shows gear and gas gauge reading etc. But when i hit start, i get nothing. Nada, zilch. No sounds, no nothing.

So I suppose it's either the starter, or one of those other gizmos such as the ignition box?

Is there any possibility that I simply wired it up wrong? The only thing that needed to be wired was the regulator, and the aftermarket wiring colors were a bit confusing.
    Which part should I test first in this troubleshooting phase I will be on now for some unfortunate length of time?

Start with the basics Air,Fuel,Fire; got them all?

Comment

Could be the solenoid. Turn the ignition on and put a screwdriver across the two terminals. If it starts replace the solenoid.......
      Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
      Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
      1983 GS 750

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
        Could be the solenoid. Turn the ignition on and put a screwdriver across the two terminals. If it starts replace the solenoid.......
        two terminals of the battery?

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
          Start with the basics Air,Fuel,Fire; got them all?
          at this point, fire is the only thing lacking as far as i can tell. no sound on start, not even a click.

Comment

Originally posted by JerbGas View Post
            two terminals of the battery?
            No, the solenoid........
            Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
            Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
            1983 GS 750

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
              No, the solenoid........
              Awesome! it turns over now but still no start. I think it's a fuel issue, perhaps i dont have the petcock in the right position, as it only has prime and off.... and it was sitting for 5 years so...

Comment

Or just unplug the yellow wire going to the selinoid and use a jumper wire directly to the positive on the battery. And be sure the grounding to the selinoid base is good. If the selinoid is good, soon as you touch the wire to the battery it should make a clicking sound and the bike should crank.
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Crack a drain screw on a carb and see if theres fuel in the bowls to see if the petcock is delivering any fuel.
                  MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Sounds more like his handle bar on-off switch has gone bad ( corrosion? ) or possibly come unplugged while working on it. I have had both happen.
                    1982 GS750EZ
                    1978 GS750EC

Comment

Have you tried pulling the clutch lever before hitting the START button?
                      There is an interlock switch that can be bypassed easily, but that is up to you.

Your fuses all LOOK good, have you used a meter or a test light to VERIFY that they are good?
                      The stock glass fuses can fail under the metal cap, where you can't see it.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hi Steve, you've got mail.

To the OP, you could have a faulty earth connection at the solenoid, so check for loose/corroded Black/White wire.

The key to successful troubleshooting is to ask yourself the question: If it worked before, and now it does not work, what did I work on that could have caused that situation?

Go back and check what you did, as the fault is most probably there and not some other random place.
                        Last edited by 2BRacing; 11-03-2015, 03:37 PM.
                        1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

Originally posted by 2BRacing View Post
                          Hi Steve, you've got mail.

To the OP, you could have a faulty earth connection at the solenoid, so check for loose/corroded Black/White wire.

The key to successful troubleshooting is to ask yourself the question: If it worked before, and now it does not work, what did I work on that could have caused that situation?

Go back and check what you did, as the fault is most probably there and not some other random place.
                          That is very hard to say because the bike was not working when I purchased it haha. At this point I'm looking into a fuel delivery issue. The gas in the tank when i bought it could have been sitting for up to the 5 years it was sitting in the PO garage. I know him through a friend so I trust he was honest when he said it used to run. I'm planning on looking into the petcock and fuel filter, just to get it running. Then, yes I will look to see if the switch on the handlebar has simply gone bad because the front master cylinder reservoir has a slow leak that gets all over that area, so it's entirely likely.

Cant tell you all how appreciative I am for all the input and help. Honestly I dont know where I'd be on this project without you guys!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                            Have you tried pulling the clutch lever before hitting the START button?
                            There is an interlock switch that can be bypassed easily, but that is up to you.

Your fuses all LOOK good, have you used a meter or a test light to VERIFY that they are good?
                            The stock glass fuses can fail under the metal cap, where you can't see it.
                            Yep, tried starting with the clutch pulled in. As I mentioned, the screwdriver over the solenoid gets the starting motor to turn, but the bike doesnt fully turn over to a run. I will grab a voltmeter to do a full test on the electrical system to rule out a fuse before I go replacing anything electrical, however it SHOULD run given this screwdriver cheat....right?

Been working on this bike since august, the bike sounds like it really really wants to turn over to a run. It's so close, that I'm thinking it's not getting fuel. So I'm thinking I didnt properly prime the carbs or the fuel filter is gummed up from sitting so long. Once I can get the engine to turn and idle, I'll sleep better this winter knowing I can at least go out once a week and let her idle to keep everything flowing so I'll avoid potential problems come spring.

Comment

Originally posted by JerbGas View Post
                              Yep, tried starting with the clutch pulled in. As I mentioned, the screwdriver over the solenoid gets the starting motor to turn, but the bike doesnt fully turn over to a run. I will grab a voltmeter to do a full test on the electrical system to rule out a fuse before I go replacing anything electrical, however it SHOULD run given this screwdriver cheat....right?

Been working on this bike since august, the bike sounds like it really really wants to turn over to a run. It's so close, that I'm thinking it's not getting fuel. So I'm thinking I didnt properly prime the carbs or the fuel filter is gummed up from sitting so long. Once I can get the engine to turn and idle, I'll sleep better this winter knowing I can at least go out once a week and let her idle to keep everything flowing so I'll avoid potential problems come spring.
                              If you have not drained and flushed the tank yet then that would be your first step.

Once you getting running properly put it bed properly!

running it at idle once a week will cause more damage than good. Put stabilizer in fuel, teaspoon of oil down cylinder if you wish and call it good. Starting it up and letting it idle will create moisture inside the engine, in other words the engine will not get hot enough to burn of the moisture just by idling it.
                              1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head
                              1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

Working...
                              X