Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1983 GS450GA (Suzukimatic) Carb Strip and Ball Bearing WTF?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eil View Post
    If the HF o-rings don't explicitly say on the package somewhere that they're safe for petroleum applications, it would be well worth your time to order a set from the site that I recommended above and install them before the HF o-rings melt/dissolve/disintegrate or otherwise make a mess of your carbs.
    Yeah, I read the following blurb before purchasing the o-rings and hopefully that's covered;

This o-ring set consists of 18 of the most used o-ring sizes to accommodate a variety of tasks. The nitrile constructed rings resist heat, most petroleum, most silicone fluids and solvents. The o rings come organized in a convenient storage case with an included sizing guide for easy size identification. A great o-ring set for auto mechanics and machinists.

• 18 of the most used O-ring sizes in one organized PVC case
    • Nitrile rings resist heat, most petroleum and silicone fluids, hydraulic and non-aromatic fuels, and solvents

I was really just wanting to make sure that my non-starting problem was limited to blocked carbs, which, so far, appears to be the case.

If the carb starts leaking, I guess that nitrile o-rings don't resist per my expectations...

Time will tell of course....fingers crossed!

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
      I wonder if the PO left them in the bowl for safe-keeping when he/she couldn't place them either. Perhaps they were even Mysteries that were rolling around his workbench and nothing to do with the carbs?

hey, with a lever you maybe don't need friction on the choke rod anyways.

(though the holes I see in your carb picture above (with the pink), on the mounts for the choke rod do draw my attention...sigh-something for the Museum of Extra Parts, eh?)
      We are on the same logic with the lever/choke rod.

I'm not too pleased with myself for not noticing where the BB's came from to be honest, that said, it's all working fine for now so can't complain too much really.

If the BB was shown on one of the parts diagrams then it seems more likely I've missed something but I don't see it listed...then again perhaps my eyesight is going too! lol
      Last edited by Guest; 11-04-2015, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Can anybody expand on this?

Originally posted by terrylee View Post
        Do believe ball bearings go into a hole (indention) next to needle valve.

Comment

Well, the bike is still running without the BBs but notice that it likes a fair bit of choke to start, despite the warm Florida weather.

Noticed the air filter is clean but bone dry, guess I will need to get that oiled up.

Comment

I've been looking at a few carb rebuild/teardown articles and note that there are parts in my carbs that are not mentioned, not including the aforementioned ball bearings!

In the bottom of my float bowls there are a couple of bronze coloured pellets or small tubular shaped metal objects that sit on top of a spring.

Does anybody know what they are and what the function is?

Could they be connected with the ball bearing function?

Edit: Here's the place where it hides....

Last edited by Guest; 11-29-2015, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Solution to the puzzle

you probably are no longer looking for the answer but I am sure someone else is…like we were but we found the answer to the mystery ball bearings and little rods in the float bowl. We took it as a personal challenge on my bike. The ball bearing and rod (weight) dropped down in the outlet check valve as seen in the picture.
              Attached Files

Comment

Another picture
                Attached Files

Comment

Solution

F2A5B7DA-FAEA-4F86-9056-0779A11FDCF9.jpg Another picture. Hope this helps!!!!!

Comment

Oh, it's a check valve. Interesting!

Thanks for coming back and solving the mystery, even if it was <arithmetic> years later!
                    Charles
                    --
                    1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

How timely. Getting ready to pull and clean the carbs on my gs450a. Thanks.

Question - does anyone know where to get a new set of carb intakes? Part number is - 13110-44100.

Or possibly any GS450 carb intakes work?

Thank you
                      Last edited by mauricedonini; 08-04-2021, 02:31 PM.

Comment

I am guessing that this carb has an accelerator pump and that ball is to prevent the diaphragm from sucking in air after squirting fuel into the venturi.
                        1981 Suzuki GS250T
                        1982 Yamaha Seca Turbo
                        1985 Suzuki GS550E
                        2004 Suzuki GSF1200S

Comment

Working...
                        X