double checking year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

double checking year

hello guys i know there may have been posts already but i have bought a gs750g import[im in the uk ] how can i find the year it was manufactured it says w reg on number plate which is 1980/81 does this sound right ,and also does the gs have a sub category like x or z and how to find out . parts seem to have different part numbers ie 80/81 has different part numbers to an 82/83 model. if you can make any sense of the info im after
    thanks

If it still has the VIN sticker the information is there. If not, post pictures of the area around the gas tank, ignition key and the seat.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

97 R1100R
      Previous
      80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

my vin did not show up in the list maybe because its a japannese import [im in the uk] will check for plate and take some photos

Comment

And the pictures?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

You have a rare GS750G, I believe they were built mostly in the 80's just for the Japanese market. Very few ever found their way out of Japan.
            sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
            1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
            2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
              You have a rare GS750G, I believe they were built mostly in the 80's just for the Japanese market. Very few ever found their way out of Japan.
              Makes sense since for a number of years, and quite possibly today, the displacement cap on domestic motorcycles was 750cc. Sure you could buy any displacement bike you wish but you had to pony up the huge import tax. Import tax in 1978 was 42%. While stationed in Okinawa, I used to ride with a guy that owned a used bike shop. He had a z1300 Kawasaki, a European model. It took him a month to get it cleared so he could register and ride it.

Comment

This is the number for Suzuki north American HQ. call it and give them the VIN off the steering neck and they will provide you with the information...i am assuming by import you mean from the US???

714-572-1490
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

i bought the bike from a mate who gave up trying to restore it not sure of the history before him ,but i live in the united kingdom and I'm even haveing trouble getting the air filter to carb boots the 850g models seem to be hard to get bits for over here

Comment

As far as I can tell, the 750G was a Jap-domestic market only model. If you have the V5, it should tell you both the date of manufacture, and the date of import to the UK.

I believe the model was basically an 850 shaft-drive frame, with a 750 engine - but Suzuki first used the 8-valve engine, then the 16-valve. Are your cam-end covers round, or virtually rectangular?

It won't be easy to find part numbers for this in the UK, but the parts will be available, as the bike is effectively a conglomeration of different models. Pictures will be a great help, as they can be used as a cross-reference. Personally I use Robinsons or Crooks for parts, and CMSNL have a wide selection of parts fiches on their website.
                    1980 GS550ET

Comment

Working...
                    X