Front Brakes gone after bar swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front Brakes gone after bar swap?

I recently installed clip-ons on my '82 GS1100e, and the same day I noticed front brake fade, and now I have basically nothing up front: feel or actual braking. I didn't take any of the brake hardware apart, but I did loosen the banjo bolt at the MBC slightly to rotate it to a more comfortable position. The brake line does come to a point where it is at least even with the MBC. I do not seem to have any leaks, and my MBC cover is rusted on. Before I start ripping into it, is there something obvious I am missing?

Thanks all.

Sounds like you've got air in the system and need to go bleed those brakes. Might be a good idea to do a complete overhaul if you've got bits rusted on.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Loosening the banjo is would let air in. Definitely have to bleed the system to get rid of it. If you have rust, I would definitely rebuild and replace the MC, calipers, and lines.
      Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
      2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
      1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Are these 33 year old brakes, or recently rebuilt?
        Dogma
        --
        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
        '80 GS850 GLT
        '80 GS1000 GT
        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

What brake pads do you recommend?

Comment

I think it is air, thank you for the input. The whole system is stock, 33 years old, which is kind of a constant issue with the bike haha. I tried to bleed and it worked on one side, then I went to the other and I lost everything. I'm going to get a new MBC because the screws were really rusted and upon about two careful turns each they are entirely stripped, so I couldn't even add fluid back in.

Thanks y'all.

Comment

Update: I got the new MBC, bled the brakes, and it stops like a Volvo. Thanks again guys.

Comment

Wow!!! You replace your master brake cylinder because the screws were to corroded to remove in order to add brake fluid, and you are not even looking at your calipers. Brake systems need maintenance before they are 33 years old. They need maintenance before you start having problems. Your life depends on it, and so do the people you may run into and hurt, because they were trying to avoid you not being able to stop properly.
                1981 GS 1000GLX.
                1981 GS 1000G.
                1981 GS 650GLX.
                1975 TS 185.
                1972 100. Kawasaki.
                1968 100. Suzuki.
                1970 Z 50. Honda.
                1984 CT 70. Honda. (Kids)
                1982 DS 50. Suzuki. (Kids)

Comment

Congrats on fixing it!
                  1981 GS 1100e turbo, 83 motor, turbo pistons, new head, new turbo, backed and welded clutch basket, Dyna S ignition, cbr 929 front end, gsxr 750 rear end with 190 tire, all carbon fiber covered bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                  X