Valve tapping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve tapping

I have a tapping noise coming from under the valve cover. I think it is one of the cam lobes tapping on a shim. When I adjusted clearances last year, #1 intake was loose with a 2.45 shim measuring .11 mm. I put in a 2.50 shim. I ran it that way all last year. I just checked them again, and #1 intake was tight, so I went back to the 2.45. It now measures .06 mm, but sounds loose and noisy. Could something be stuck in there somewhere causing the shim or bucket not to seat properly? I haven't removed the cams or buckets, and I followed the Suzuki factory method for checking clearances (not the Clymer method).

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
    1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

If the clearances are right, you should be able to hear all the valves. Just a light clatter. The proper sound is usually compared to a sewing machine. If there's something banging out of time with the rest, there may be something sinister going on.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

You could have a bucket that is sticking. With the lobe in the measuring position it should turn freely. When the valve is coming back up from fully open you might find a sticky spot.
      97 R1100R
      Previous
      80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
        You could have a bucket that is sticking. With the lobe in the measuring position it should turn freely. When the valve is coming back up from fully open you might find a sticky spot.
        I was thinking something like this. What would be the best way to check and fix this situation?

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
        1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Open up as for a clearance check. See if the bucket is free to turn by pushing it at the cutout for lifting the shim. Rotate the crank by hand and see if that bucket behaves differently to the others on the up stroke in particular. As it's #1 you could possibly see the valve head as it moves. If the bucket is free it might be the valve that's sticking.
          97 R1100R
          Previous
          80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

I have a similar issue with my GS750. I'll direct you over to that thread linked below. After I check the clearances over the winter and check the cam chain tensioner, I have another path to investigate if the noise is still there.

Comment

Working...
            X