X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Regulator Failing or maybe Stator?

Okay, for those of you that have been following my project,

i figured out my petcock has to have a manual prime (maybe),

but i got her running. sounds real nice overall. a noise in the top of the engine at high rpm which im going to let happen for now. nothing alarming though, but definitely sounds like something is amiss.

now i seem to have a problem with the battery dying. i got it running nice with some idle screw adjustments and i was practicing letting the clutch out and gliding into first (its my first bike and i havent ridden in over 5 years, and when i did it was brief). however, after a bunch of stalls my bike wouldnt start or honk anymore. obvious power failure. display lights going dim, etc.

but i just bought a new regulator/rectifier for the bike.
    Is it definitely the stator? is there a simple way to test the stator/alternator wiithout taking the bike apart in a sense?

another issue is: i just replaced the rear master cylinder. the brake works but only after like 5-10 pumps. i'm thinking i didnt bleed it enough. sound right? the lines were at least half empty when i put it on since the old one had been sitting off the bike (not good for the longevity of the other parts i know)

Go here do the Quick Test- report all 6 results cuz they offer clues. (Note the start with fully charged battery request)

the battery doesn't have enough juice for repeated starts- bike needs to start and keep running for charging system to work.
    And avoid high rpms till you discover what's wrong in top of engine.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

What type of RR did you get? Where did you get it.
      sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
      1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
        What type of RR did you get? Where did you get it.
        this is the one i got,
        company was "mister electrical inc."

RR.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by JerbGas View Post
          this is the one i got,

[ATTACH=CONFIG]42792[/ATTACH]
          You obviously have not done any reading about GS electrical around here. Start with the links in the 2nd line of my signature.

Comment

So i took the bike out around the neighborhood for a spin. Rode around for about half an hour. I'm just getting back to riding after 6 years so I needed to brush up anyway.

Bike stayed fulled charged the whole time.
            I think before i was having so many starting issues that we just drained the **** out of the battery.
            So, my cheap out on a RR has yet to bite me in the ass. I knew full well i shouldnt have bought it. Did anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by JerbGas View Post
              this is the one i got,

[ATTACH=CONFIG]42792[/ATTACH]
              A $20 RR? yeah not good. You gotta read through posplayr's info.
              sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
              1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
              2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                A $20 RR? yeah not good. You gotta read through posplayr's info.
                maybe he got lucky! I recall someone scooped a used SH-775 for about that price.
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
                X