Thoughts on FJR 1300

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on FJR 1300

Anyone have one or any viable info on the machine I should know. I found a couple that look like a good replacement for the old GS 1000g.
    Thoughts?
    Likes?
    dislikes?
    1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
    80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
    1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
    83 gs750ed- first new purchase
    85 EX500- vintage track weapon
    1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
    “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
    If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Pretty much a standard big S/T bike, with all that implies. Big, heavy, stable, comfortable, good luggage. Strong motor. Solid in fast sweepers, a bit of a handful in tight stuff. Good weather protection, but hot in warm weather. If that's what you're looking for you'll be happy with it.
    '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

I believe one of the distinguished members had one. Mr. Joe Nardy. PM him, maybe he'll make an appearance and enlighten us with his wisdom.....
      82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Frank used to have one too.
        sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
        2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

I have two friends who swapped their FZ1s for FJRs. They absolutely love them. One of these guys put 70,000 miles on the first and is now on a newer one.
          "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
          1982 CB900f

Comment

A lot of guys on Honda ST site that have worn out their ST1100s have gone for the FJR rather than the ST1300. That says a lot right there I think.
            '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

i hate 'em. they look like a scooter. but... i've ridden with guys that have them and they rode miles and weren't afraid to head up into the hills and ride dirt roads all day. but... they smoked dirt weed.
              2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
              82 gs1100L probably the next project
              1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
              https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
              1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

Originally posted by Eli69 View Post
                i hate 'em. they look like a scooter. but... i've ridden with guys that have them and they rode miles and weren't afraid to head up into the hills and ride dirt roads all day. but... they smoked dirt weed.
                Lol...That's exactly what I think! I would go even further and say the Connie and the ST look like over grown Bergman's too. So much plastic...big bar risers and you can't see the front wheel when riding. Maybe when I'm 70 I will see these bikes as attractive...only problem then, of course, is that I won't be able to lift them. Lol...I'm sure I'll get heat for this.
                No signature

Comment

Personally, I think the FJR is a great looking bike.
                  "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                  ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                  1982 CB900f

Comment

Jim
                    I tried the ST, FJR and Concours and I felt the Connie was the best. The FJR is a great machine but was told to stay away from the first generation for it made an undesirable vibration at highway speeds. I went the "super" Sport Touring route for I was racking so many miles and use my bike everyday. The luggage is greatly useful(load a small carts worth of groceries for the store). My dislikes of the FJR was the power and lack of 6th gear(or OD). The Connie also has VVT which helps tremendously in the torque department. However the FJR is an awesome machine, just my nod goes to the big Connie.

I'm not 70, hell I'm not even half that age but can say I love the look and styling of the bike especially when I run it with screen down and bags off... The big fairing comes in handy for cold weather. Weight isn't too big of a problem for me... Out of all the bikes I've had I receive the most compliments and intrigue from it. Most BMW guys like it (not sure why Trev doesn't ) and are impressed by build quality. I get compliments from all ages on it...

Should have taken the Connie for a spin when you were over last. Smooth, quiet, powerful... The new FJR is comparable and it all boils down to personal preference. If your all about power adders the Connie is also better bet for it has the ZX14 engine which offers lots of aftermarket goodies for the ZX14 that are bolt on. You'll never get crazy fast with it but I've seen some builds with a respectable 160 whp and 105ftlBS torque curve that as flat as can be.

You'll love a supe sport tourer it being and FJR or C14. It's like the Cadillac CTS of the bike world. Comfy, great for touring and faster than it should be.
                    my 2 cents
                    Last edited by Jedz123; 11-12-2015, 10:11 AM.
                    Jedz Moto
                    1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                    1988 Honda GL1500-6
                    2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                    2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                    2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                    Originally posted by Hayabuser
                    Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
                      Jim
                      Most BMW guys like it (not sure why Trev doesn't )
                      Lol! I agree with you Jedz. I think Trevor prefers the dogs hind leg that is on his front end! (Or is it the lady leg lamp that the dad won in A Christmas Story?)
                      IBA# 12860
                      Iron Butt SS1000 & BB1500
                      1984 KZ1100R
                      2008 Kawasaki KLR650
                      2011 Concours 1400

Comment

mr. jedz' concourse is a sweet ride. i've seen it rip turns with a load of groceries and beer. it looks great too.
                        2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
                        82 gs1100L probably the next project
                        1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
                        https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
                        1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

Originally posted by eddie21 View Post
                          Lol! I agree with you Jedz. I think Trevor prefers the dogs hind leg that is on his front end! (Or is it the lady leg lamp that the dad won in A Christmas Story?)
                          Lol... I like to think about the leg lamp while riding it.
                          No signature

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
                            Lol... I like to think about the leg lamp while riding it.
                            I'm sure you do.... The glow of electric sex in the window....
                            Jedz Moto
                            1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                            1988 Honda GL1500-6
                            2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                            2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                            2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                            Originally posted by Hayabuser
                            Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
                              I'm sure you do.... The glow of electric sex in the window....
                              Yes it's Italian....very "frasheel"
                              No signature

Comment

Working...
                              X