Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RichDesmond View Post
    More than the K100.

As you may have figured out, I hate that bike. Haven't owed one (perish the thought!!) but have ridden a few. They always struck me as a bike designed by people who never rode, like BMW brought over a bunch of car engineers on a lark and mistakenly put into production the aberration they came up with.
    One word.... Tupperware.
    No signature

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
      Still, for a full boat ubertourer, I'd take an FJR. One of my co-workers just bought a C14 in the metallic Kawi green. Good looking machine, but a great riding buddy bought one and said it was the only bike he'd ever bought that he failed to fall in love with. I think the FJR is a bit sharper, and at 100 pounds lighter, it'd be a more sprightly ride.
      You have to make compromises somewhere if you're going to get a sport/tourer. If you want to "look good" as Fernando would say, pick yourself up a Heritage Softail with pretty streamers or something. The popular sport/tourers of today have gravitated to lots of bodywork as part of their function. With the prerequisite front fairing for long range comfort and hard saddlebags for the stuff you'll carry on a comfortable mile-eating beast, there isn't a lot of room for vanity type styling. The Honda, Yamaha and Kawasaki sport/tourers are ok to look at. They are built for function and whichever one you choose is the 'correct' one... for you! Yes, I have the C14 and in 4 1/2 years of ownership I have replaced the tires, changed the oil and oil filter (a tedious 20 minute job), and replaced the brake pads. That's it! I'm a big guy and the heft of the bike is totally inconsequential for me. It is a hundred times easier to put on the center-stand than a C10, I can even do it in bare feet! Jedz could probably describe the power of the bike better than me, more than sufficient, that's for sure. Trevor, you and I rode Hwy36 together in Northern California, although the C14 isn't a MotoGP bike, it still can handle the twisty stuff quite well. My only regret about buying the C14 is that I waited until 2011 to buy mine, when they came out in 2008 is when I wish I'd bought it!

C'mon, they're not that ugly! The bulletproof shaft Kawi designed for it is a thing of beauty all by itself.
      IBA# 12860
      Iron Butt SS1000 & BB1500
      1984 KZ1100R
      2008 Kawasaki KLR650
      2011 Concours 1400

Comment

Originally posted by eddie21 View Post
        You have to make compromises somewhere if you're going to get a sport/tourer. If you want to "look good" as Fernando would say, pick yourself up a Heritage Softail with pretty streamers or something. The popular sport/tourers of today have gravitated to lots of bodywork as part of their function. With the prerequisite front fairing for long range comfort and hard saddlebags for the stuff you'll carry on a comfortable mile-eating beast, there isn't a lot of room for vanity type styling. The Honda, Yamaha and Kawasaki sport/tourers are ok to look at. They are built for function and whichever one you choose is the 'correct' one... for you! Yes, I have the C14 and in 4 1/2 years of ownership I have replaced the tires, changed the oil and oil filter (a tedious 20 minute job), and replaced the brake pads. That's it! I'm a big guy and the heft of the bike is totally inconsequential for me. It is a hundred times easier to put on the center-stand than a C10, I can even do it in bare feet! Jedz could probably describe the power of the bike better than me, more than sufficient, that's for sure. Trevor, you and I rode Hwy36 together in Northern California, although the C14 isn't a MotoGP bike, it still can handle the twisty stuff quite well. My only regret about buying the C14 is that I waited until 2011 to buy mine, when they came out in 2008 is when I wish I'd bought it!

C'mon, they're not that ugly! The bulletproof shaft Kawi designed for it is a thing of beauty all by itself.
        Did we ever ride Hwy 36!! Wow Glenn what a trip on what I would say were two perfect bikes for two guys looking to cover tons of miles on all kinds of roads. Man that was an awesome trip buddy!!!

No signature

Comment

Yeah I know I'm still the 5 year old on the forum and I have gone through at least 15 bikes since i started riding when I was 23 (8 years ago). Hey isn't that what you do when your young work through machines till you find the one you want???

I've seemed to have settled happily on my investment, the Connie does everything I need it to do and it does it very well; Go long distances in comfort (check), Easy on tires (check), Go ridiculous fast (check), Handle like a sport bike (check), Tour(check), low maintenance(check).... List goes on. I honestly didn't jump on the ST band wagon earlier for I refereed to them as old man bikes, something I wouldn't want to get onto until 15 or 20 years down the line... God was I wrong and I've been kicking myself since. I'll always own more then 1 bike and I may trade it in down the road but if I do it's going to be for another newer Connie. This thing is a tank and I love it. I won't lie I get some flak from my buddies about riding an old man bike but after a spirited day of riding bags off they are singing a totally different tune...

Soulless??? Not really I find my self talking to it and rubbing the tank after achieving accomplishments like riding 400 miles or grinding out a peg or breaking 150mph... the Bike really does everything I want it to do. As for Tupperware? Yeah I hope so! That $hit never breaks and my grandmother still uses her's and its as old as me! Hope the Connie goes that long, likely will... It a product of the Big 4.

Dude I think it's a gorgeous machine... Strip off the bags and it looks even better (better then the FJR IMO) and she keeps up with the best of them... My buddy on his RC51 couldn't shake me, sure I might have a slightly better skill set but dude a touring bike wouldn't let a RC51 sport bike get away...

Ride on guys.

I really need to go out west and ride those roads... Gorgeous pics Trevor. Wouldn't expect any less.
          Last edited by Jedz123; 11-14-2015, 05:22 AM.
          Jedz Moto
          1980 Suzuki GS1000G
          1988 Honda GL1500-6
          2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
          2020 Honda Monkey Z125
          2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
          Originally posted by Hayabuser
          Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

I don't think "looking good" = Harley. Not at all. The FJR handles better than the C14 and is much lighter. Buying a sport-tourer doesn't mean you have to want a ton of weight, and I'm just not keen on bikes that weigh upward of 700 pounds. I think the FJR is the sharper looking bike, and they do everything as well as pretty much any ST bike going, without the bloat that seems to creep in.
            "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
            1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
              I don't think "looking good" = Harley. Not at all. The FJR handles better than the C14 and is much lighter. Buying a sport-tourer doesn't mean you have to want a ton of weight, and I'm just not keen on bikes that weigh upward of 700 pounds. I think the FJR is the sharper looking bike, and they do everything as well as pretty much any ST bike going, without the bloat that seems to creep in.
              Yeah, FJR's, C14's and BMW's are nice touring TANKS. I would rather have something smaller and lighter like a F250. LOL
              All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
                Yeah, FJR's, C14's and BMW's are nice touring TANKS. I would rather have something smaller and lighter like a F250. LOL
                The 2003 FJR weighed less than a GS850G ...
                "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                1982 CB900f

Comment

well I took the 2 bikes out on Sat. , cold as hell so not alot of high speed runs . The connie definatly has more power and is heavier. The Fj is a longer bike, and a little lower. They both are alittle cramped for me, but I think either one could be improved with alittle peg relocating. As it stands I think Iam going to try and find a 2nd gen FJ to try before I make a final decision. Because as for me what ever I decide to buy I will have for a while and I want to make a good decision. Also have to get the wife on a ride on both as she will be on the back of which ever I Buy at least 80% of the time.Thank you for all the imput guys .
                  1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                  80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                  1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
                  83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                  85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                  1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                  “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                  If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Your selection process sounds good! Try out the ones you've shortlisted, then make a choice. As well as peg relocation, changing the seat can make huge ergonomic differences as well. I don't know of any manufacturer that produces a modern bike with a decent stock seat... (for me anyway)! I put a Corbin on my C14 and have been very pleased with it.
                    IBA# 12860
                    Iron Butt SS1000 & BB1500
                    1984 KZ1100R
                    2008 Kawasaki KLR650
                    2011 Concours 1400

Comment

Originally posted by hjfisk View Post
                      well I took the 2 bikes out on Sat. , cold as hell so not alot of high speed runs . The connie definatly has more power and is heavier. The Fj is a longer bike, and a little lower. They both are alittle cramped for me, but I think either one could be improved with alittle peg relocating. As it stands I think Iam going to try and find a 2nd gen FJ to try before I make a final decision. Because as for me what ever I decide to buy I will have for a while and I want to make a good decision. Also have to get the wife on a ride on both as she will be on the back of which ever I Buy at least 80% of the time.Thank you for all the imput guys .
                      Great to hear Jim! Id say give the Gen 2 a whirl and see what you think. 2 up was also a big reason why I went with the Connie. My misses and I hated riding the B-King together and since we both love riding 2 up the Connie was the best match, for us that is. The FJR not so much. Lol I can't belive you said they made you cramped... Then again Your the only person I know that can make a GS1000 look like a 400 when you ride it.

Keep us posted!
                      Jedz Moto
                      1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                      1988 Honda GL1500-6
                      2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                      Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
                        Great to hear Jim! Id say give the Gen 2 a whirl and see what you think. 2 up was also a big reason why I went with the Connie. My misses and I hated riding the B-King together and since we both love riding 2 up the Connie was the best match, for us that is. The FJR not so much. Lol I can't belive you said they made you cramped... Then again Your the only person I know that can make a GS1000 look like a 400 when you ride it.

Keep us posted!
                        You have never seen BigT on his 1000. Lol
                        No signature

Comment

I decided on 09 Connie over FJR, luv it...

Comment

Going to throw my 2 cents in. Rode pretty much every sport tourer out there when the wife and I were looking for a better 2-up bike. Loved the ZG14 but couldn't find a decent deal on one. Liked the FJR's also. Took a ST1300 for a ride and bought it. Just added a Givi top case, helibar risers and heated grips. Very comfortable, handles well ( sides of my riding boots are missing material..) have managed to squeak 300 miles out of a full tank. Very happy with it until we got the mutt... now I'm cruising around on a Royal Enfield Bullet with a side car. Still have the Honda, just dosn't get the mileage it deservesSnapchat-3329006712969942901.jpg

Comment

Good to hear about your ST. I honestly wasn't sold on them, mainly the price was the highest out of the 3 and true Honda is the most reliable manufacturer but I really wanted a bike with true getup and go and that crown is held on the Connie's head IMO. It's amazing the sport technology all the bikes have. I don't have chicken strips on any of my tires on the ZG. On rails it is and same is true for the other STs out there.
                              Jedz Moto
                              1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                              1988 Honda GL1500-6
                              2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

I bought a FJR in 2002 (first year in US) It was a great ride in spring and late fall. Not so much in between. Heat was the problem. Engine directed everyting into the riders area. About cooked on a road trip to Colorado in July. It took a couple years for Yamaha to correct the problem, somewhere around 2005-2006 it got better. Sold mine spring of 2003 for what I had paid for it in 2002.

Comment

Working...
                                X