Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speedometer disassembly and lens removal

Folks,

Is there a way to safely disassemble the speedometer and tachometer to my 1978 GS1000E - I would like to clean the inside of the lenses.

From the outside, it appears that the ring that surrounds the edge of the lens is either glued to the speedo/tach body or it snaps on. Either way, I'd like some input before I proceed as I would like to *not* break anything.

Thanks!
    Cogito ergo sum - "I think, therefore I am"
    René Descartes

Its press crimped on. Take a small screw driver and insert it between the plastic housing and the edge of the bezel ring and twist / pry the crimp up all the way around. remove the bezel and lens. Reseat the crimp to put it all back together.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Of the two methods, the "de-crimp" method is my preference and has to be much easier than the other.

Takes about three passes around to loosen the ring. Go slow.

Last edited by posplayr; 11-15-2015, 12:33 AM.

Comment

Can someone give me a hint as to how to remove the trip reset knob without destroying anything?
          René Descartes

Comment

Lift up the face plate so you can grip the post with needle nose pliers and the extention sticking out the case will unscrew. A fork put under the needle will pry the needle off. But thats the last thing I like to do. I am afraid of not getting the spring tention correct when i put the needle back on.

Comment

I don't think that metal knob comes off. I believe hole in the orange enclosure is large enough the the rubber boot has enough flexibility to allow you to pull the guts of the speedo up and out once the screws in the back side are removed.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                I don't think that metal knob comes off. I believe hole in the orange enclosure is large enough the the rubber boot has enough flexibility to allow you to pull the guts of the speedo up and out once the screws in the back side are removed.
                The threaded tube where the speedo cable connects prevents you from lifting/tilting the assembly out of the bucket. I thought abiout this but cant see any way it would work.
                René Descartes

Comment

It been a while but i thought it screwed onto the smaller spindle for the dial.

Comment

Folks,

The plan was to disassemble the speedometer to make sure the drive mechanism was lubed properly, etc. The more I thought about that course of action, I realized that the juice wasn't worth the squeeze - I didn't want to damage to the needle, gauge face, or trip knob.

So, I removed the lenses from the tach and speedo and cleaned them. I retightened (with loctite) any exterior screws and then reinstalled the lenses. Done.

Also, Nessism's technique of using a drift punch and a hammer works quite well - I laid the gauge face down on a towel and worked my way around the ring with the punch. This produces a nice, tight crimp that simultaneously knocks down any sharp edges.
                    René Descartes

Comment

I recrimp with a small pair of linemans pliers. The leading edge of the bezel isnt visible when installed into the dash so a scratch is not a big deal.

Comment

Look up rewinding a GS1000 speedo.This is how I did mine .It's easy.

Comment

I've decrimped a few but a small cut across the bezel ring with a dremel takes the ring off very easily and makes a neater job, imo. To re-install, two tiny holes with a piece of ss wire holds it all together nicely.
                          decrimping stretches the metal and it never re-crimps the same

Comment

-hijack alert- as long as we are on the subject of gauges, anyone know of a good match or method of coloring the white numbers on the tach red? I am running gsxr gauges and would like to change the redline from 13,5 down to 9,5. Sharpie?
                            1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Originally posted by greg78gs750 View Post
                              -hijack alert- as long as we are on the subject of gauges, anyone know of a good match or method of coloring the white numbers on the tach red? I am running gsxr gauges and would like to change the redline from 13,5 down to 9,5. Sharpie?
                              Are these letters translucent (so the light shines through the letters)? You can get translucent or transparent glass paint at a large hobby store. Might be hard to match the existing shading, though.
                              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Working...
                              X