Tach sporadically makes a screeching noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tach sporadically makes a screeching noise

Title says it all. I have not been able to pin down a pattern but the tach, out of the blue, will start making a horrid screeching sound. When it starts screeching, the tach needle will start bouncing over about a 300 rpm range. Sometimes, revving the engine a bit will stop it. Other times, whacking it with my hand makes it stop. Any thoughts on how to repair this?

The squealing is probably coming from the bearing in the back of the tach where the cable screws in. You can (and arguably should) squirt some kind of oil into the bearing in a regular basis. I think I used lithium grease in an aerosol can. Not sure what's the best thing, though. Note that you have to get it into the bearing, not just squirt it into the center hole. Otherwise it just goes into the hollow interior of the tach where it doesn't do any good.

In my experience, a squealing tach or speedo is already gone but if yours only does it occasionally, maybe there's some life left in it still. You might want to find a spare to have on the shelf just in case.
    Charles
    --
    1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by eil View Post
      The squealing is probably coming from the bearing in the back of the tach where the cable screws in. You can (and arguably should) squirt some kind of oil into the bearing in a regular basis. I think I used lithium grease in an aerosol can. Not sure what's the best thing, though. Note that you have to get it into the bearing, not just squirt it into the center hole. Otherwise it just goes into the hollow interior of the tach where it doesn't do any good.

In my experience, a squealing tach or speedo is already gone but if yours only does it occasionally, maybe there's some life left in it still. You might want to find a spare to have on the shelf just in case.
      I'm already shopping for a spare. I'll try to get some lithium grease into it.

Comment

The grease goes in between the part that spins with the cable and the big threaded tube that it spins in. It may help to take the tach off and turn it upside down to get the grease to go down in there where it's needed. I have had a few of them run fine for years after a good greasing.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

The cable would be worth a look as well. Mine started whining and jumping a few hundred rpm. Cleaning and lubricating the cable stopped it winding up.
          97 R1100R
          Previous
          80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            The grease goes in between the part that spins with the cable and the big threaded tube that it spins in. It may help to take the tach off and turn it upside down to get the grease to go down in there where it's needed. I have had a few of them run fine for years after a good greasing.
            Thanks for confirming that. I was thinking it would be easier with the gauges upside down.

Comment

Whatever you use as a lubricant don't over do it.
              Years ago i used about 6 drops of Mouse Milk, a penetrating oil.
              The excess could end up fogging up the tach face.
              2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                Whatever you use as a lubricant don't over do it.
                Years ago i used about 6 drops of Mouse Milk, a penetrating oil.
                The excess could end up fogging up the tach face.
                Thanks for the tip. I'll use a light hand with the lube.

Comment

I used 90 weight gear oil on mine
                  dripped it into an inverted tach
                  flipped it before the oil could get all the way into the tach
                  has not made a soubnd since

Comment

Working...
                  X