No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi,
    I am a new member and not very computer savvy, I am 56 years old and have not rode a bike in 35 years. Purchased a new 1978 GS750 traded that for a new 1979 GS850 and traded for a new 1980 GS1000E and have not had a bike since. My kids finished college and I thought it was time for a new hobby. I have always thought the Suzuki GS bikes were some of best bikes on the road even though all my friends road Hondas and laughed at me. Anyway started looking for a GS650g April 2015 and found a 1982 GS650g with 9500 miles on it. It was most all there and well taken care of, started to look for new handlebars and mirrors and purchased other parts that where missing. The bike ran OK but the enrichment system did not work well and it had a hanging idle and it never had a consistent idle. Bought a Klymer manual and started to surf the internet and ran across you guys and I can't tell how much you guys have helped me. Did most everything you suggested cleaned and dipped the carbs, new intake boots, new orings, drilled out idle screw plugs, Sycned the carbs, checked valve clearances, fixed the air box and bike ran like a new bike. I am about to check my swingarm bearings and check the final drive and drive joint. I just want to thank all you guys and tell all you GS fans out there to listen to these guys cause they sure know what they are talking about.

Thanks again
    Mike K
    Green Bay WI
    Last edited by Guest; 12-13-2015, 03:16 PM.

Welcome,

So you went from a 750 to a liter bike and now riding a 650 shaftie? Interesting.

Post pics when you have a chance. I've had my bike parked for a year and miss her terribly.

Good news about you doing some learned maintenance on your bike. This place is a world of knowledge.

Ed
    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
    Originally posted by GSXR7ED
    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Hi ya, Mike.
      Welcome back to the wonderful world of the GS.
      Now that the wrenching is well in hand, time to learn how to post pics.
      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by mkles View Post
        Hi,
        I am a new member .....
        Hello Mike.

THanks for introducing yourself.

Interesting that you had 3 new GS, and now decades later went out looking for a 30 year old GS.

I had a new 82 GS650G for 20+ years.

Would be better to intropduce yourself in the "owners" section.
        Do post pic of your bike.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Nice intro Mike, welcome to the site.
          Nice to see someone come on here and talk about the proper maintenance they are doing to get a bike running right. Sounds like you are doing it up good.

Comment

Welcome..... there are some smart cookies here for sure, and very helpful as well. Glad you're enjoying you're reentry to cycling.
            sigpic
            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
            -Rusty old scooter.
            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Would like to post a before and after pics not sure how.

Comment

A bit of a read but if i could figure it out so can you.
                photo posting 101..... http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...t_pictures.pdf
                2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Working...
                X