Valve clearances/ struggling badly.. :-(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve clearances/ struggling badly.. :-(

Ok, I'm a reasonably good/competent home mechanic but i'm really struggling with holding down the buckets so I can remove and measure the shim. On the 4 outside valves( cylinders 1 & 4 ) no problem, easily done with the tool..
    The 4 inside valves ( yep, 3 & 2) are a different matter, the tool ( motion pro) doesn't seem to want to push down the buckets, it just spins them and then slips off, it's the same on all 4 valves, just doesn't seem to want to work??

Anyone any ideas? yep i have persevered with it for over an hour but still no joy, it keeps slipping off the bucket...

thanks guys.

Use a small screwdriver to keep the tool from popping off. Just kind of lever it from the side. I bet you got the tool used someplace? New ones are usually sharp and stay in place better, once they pop off a few times they get rounded on the sides and pop off easier.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I use the zip tie method.

Opinions differ about the relative risks and benefits of the two systems ( what's new ). I never had one of the proper tools but I imagine like any tool it's just a matter of getting into the swing of it and then you wonder what all the fuss was about.
      97 R1100R
      Previous
      80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

I have the same problem with mine. Try rotating the crank until the lobe is depressing the shim you want to remove. Put the tool in place on the bucket, being careful that it is not also touching the shim. Hold the tool in place and rotate the crank again until the lobe is out of the way. It may take a few tries, nut it works.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
        1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

I got the tool, but had same problem (even using a wedge to hold tool), so opted for ziptie route.
          And make sure you spend the time to clean cover gasket surfaces thoroughly, so new gasket sits perfect.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I do as Tom suggests and use a screwdriver from the side to keep the tool from popping off. You need to find the right screwdriver and practice but once you get the hang of it it's an easy process.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I have trouble too. I think some buckets have more bevel on the side than others. Will try the idea of having the lobe depressing the shim if the hive mind thinks it is a good idea. I would also like to get my hands on the original Suzuki tool instead of the Motion Pro tool to see if it is any better.
              1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
              1983 GS 1100 G
              2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
              2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
              1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

The inner ones can be a bit more difficult, the guys are right about having the correct tool. It's a matter of 'feeling' when it's in the right spot. If your tool won't work, just use the zip tie method for those ones.
                Rob
                1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Some of these tools aren't cast all that well and have casting flash on the "rib", or the two halves aren't quite aligned. A few careful minutes with a file will quickly dress up the rib so it's level an smooth.

The other hint is that you have to pull the handle of the tool sideways a bit (towards the cam lobe) as you're pushing down to rotate it into place. This is a little counter-intuitive, but it helps keep the tool in the correct place. Once you figure this little trick out, using the correct tool is fast and easy -- much faster than poking around with zip-ties.

Thirdly, to get the tool started, it sometimes helps to push the tool into the camshaft with something blunt, like the ratchet end of a 3/8" socket extension. You can also just use your thumb.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by 1948man View Post
                    I have trouble too. I think some buckets have more bevel on the side than others. Will try the idea of having the lobe depressing the shim if the hive mind thinks it is a good idea. I would also like to get my hands on the original Suzuki tool instead of the Motion Pro tool to see if it is any better.
                    Some buckets are more square than others, the Motion Pro tool isn't nearly as good as the Suzuki, and rotating the engine with a valve held open sounds like a great way for a valve to contact a piston. Doing it right with proper tools is easy.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Thanks guys I'll give it another try, the tool is a new one :-) 2nd one I bought, I got the first one and put it "somewhere safe" until I got the bike into the workshop.. Hahaha..That was the end of that one..

Comment

Third is the charm
                        97 R1100R
                        Previous
                        80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

I've only used the zip tie method. It is so easy I never figured to try any other way.
                          I didn't know there were possible "cons" to doing it that way.

Comment

I've used the pukka Suzuki tool in the past, but it went walkabout (stolen) years ago, and I simply forged a screwdriver blade to do the same job, as pre-internet, such aftermarket tools were harder to come by and I grudged paying Suzuki dealer price for something I'd already bought. Anyway, fast-forward to a couple of years ago and I discovered I'd totally lost the knack of the screwdriver trick. I still had the cunningly-fashioned 'driver, but it wouldn't play ball.
                            Then I discovered the zip-tie method and the metaphorical Sun shines out of the butt of the guy who thought of that. Imagine, such a simple thing, and I hadn't thought of it myself. I was gob-smacked.
                            That was then. This is now.
                            Now I have a new bucket tool. Still not a genuine Suzuki one, but a M-Pro, iirc. It was easy and cheap to find one in the current era.
                            I'll see how it goes the next time - they'll be due for checking sometime reasonably soon.
                            ---- Dave
                            79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                            79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                            92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

I have used tool on other bikes...was fretting when I discovered the remaining 2 tools I still owned didn't work/fit...then the zip tie method was found and I will never go back! I just make sure I use a fresh pliable new one when I need to adjust the valves....

Comment

Working...
                              X