No announcement yet.

Just bought New GS1000S

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very nice bike and lovely to see all the original case screws unchanged and unmangled.
    sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

I bought my 1000ST new in 1981 as a leftover from the 1980 model year. I paid $3200 OTD for it. It came with a standard GS1000 owner's manual and a 1000ST supplementary manual. I have both of them in a Ziplock bag.

1000E has 17" rear wheel, 1000S has an 18" rear wheel. The fork valving was slightly different too. They had an oil temp gauge, clock, and fuel gauge "Combo Meter". The 1980 models had factory rear set pegs/controls, different pipes and a completely different seat. So the difference was more than just a fairing and fancy paint job.
      Last edited by Guest; 12-07-2015, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Thanks, I appreciate your input.

Comment

I truly appreciate your input.

Comment

Hard to believe that bike has 22,000 on it. Beautiful !!
            Larry D
            1980 GS450S
            1981 GS450S
            2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by Vmass View Post
              Beautiful bike. I watched the auction and figured it would set a record. It is really hard to believe that it is not a restored bike.

Congratulations!
              Not trying to pick apart that beautiful bike but it's pretty clear that some work has been done. Things that stick out is the exhaust pipes are not original, they are the service replacement version. The windshield looks to be aftermarket too and the LH fork leg is missing the air pressure instructions.

Interesting that the white on the paint job looks so bright. I like it but some guys think the original white was more off-white than pure white. Could be a respray. Engine covers were polished and looks like new emblems.
              Last edited by Nessism; 12-07-2015, 02:52 PM.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                Not trying to pick apart that beautiful bike but it's pretty clear that some work has been done. Things that stick out is the exhaust pipes are not original, they are the service replacement version. The windshield looks to be aftermarket too and the LH fork leg is missing the air pressure instructions.

Interesting that the white on the paint job looks so bright. I like it but some guys think the original white was more off-white than pure white. Could be a respray. Engine covers were polished and looks like new emblems.
                I saw that and thought it was what we in the UK call the American version with the writing. UK pipes were plain but there were as you say, some pipes made a while back that also have the writing. I put an unused NOS set on my S specially for Suzuki as they used my bike on their stand at the NEC this year these pipes have that writing too. They will come back off when the bike comes back and my home altered gs1100 pipes can go back on. These later pipes seem to be badly made in that the balance pipe is 1/4" out and it's really a mess to get them to fit. I had exactly the same nonsense story when I fitted a set to my brothers S a couple'v years back
                sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Originally posted by tatu View Post
                  I saw that and thought it was what we in the UK call the American version with the writing. UK pipes were plain but there were as you say, some pipes made a while back that also have the writing. I put an unused NOS set on my S specially for Suzuki as they used my bike on their stand at the NEC this year these pipes have that writing too. They will come back off when the bike comes back and my home altered gs1100 pipes can go back on. These later pipes seem to be badly made in that the balance pipe is 1/4" out and it's really a mess to get them to fit. I had exactly the same nonsense story when I fitted a set to my brothers S a couple'v years back
                  Stock pipes over here had some writing on them but not as much and in a different location. It's underneath more and close to the heat shields. Beautiful bike though.
                  EDIT. Yeah, closer look at the pipes I see the writing up by the heat shields but the writing on the back is definitely a sign of the newer pipe.
                  Last edited by Sandy; 12-07-2015, 04:41 PM.
                  '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Originally posted by Zav View Post
                    Bingo! That is it. 25 years of regret I sold my GS1000S have been remedied. Not sure if overpriced but I'm a happy son of a bitch. I wouldn't sell it for double what I paid.
                    Kids got food over their heads, a roof on the plate? Then you didn't pay too much!
                    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

'83 GS 1100T
                      The Jet

sigpic
                      '95 GSXR 750w
                      The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder View Post
                        Very nice!

Comment

I agree Rudeman. My comment about manuals was maybe not clear. The S uses the same service manual as the 78 1000 E and C models as far as the maintenance such as valve adjustments timing, etc etc goes. The service manual has a supplimentel in the back which address the differences from the standard models and the S model.
                          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Why does the front fender have multiple mounting holes? I always disliked the amount of space between the top of the tire and the fender with the stock size tire. This option would tighten that gap.

Comment

Remember to maintain a gap sufficient to accomodate any stones or other debris that may get stuck in the treads!!!!
                              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

For the most part it is original. There are a few things that have been replaced, main thing is the exhaust. I don't think that is a big deal. The two outer cases are polished but when I had my original GS1000S in 1980-91 I use to polish my cases too from time to time. The tank seems to be original or it was replaced many years ago because it has the same slightly yellowing under the gas cap as my original bike had, that is a naturally occurring thing and there is nothing I know to prevent the gas vapors from discoloring just around the gas cap/filling area. Please feel free to comment, I appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
                                X