No announcement yet.

Just bought New GS1000S

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I forgot to comment on the windscreen. I believe is original, it has the "GS1000S" stamp on it..The paint is off white when you see it in real life it doesn't look that bright. Must be the picture. Thanks for your input. In case anyone wants to know I'm in Florida so bike will not see anymore winters, not that it has but I like the fact I can jump on it anytime and go for a spin. They must be enjoyed and ridden. Thanks.
    Originally posted by Nessism View Post
    Not trying to pick apart that beautiful bike but it's pretty clear that some work has been done. Things that stick out is the exhaust pipes are not original, they are the service replacement version. The windshield looks to be aftermarket too and the LH fork leg is missing the air pressure instructions.

Interesting that the white on the paint job looks so bright. I like it but some guys think the original white was more off-white than pure white. Could be a respray. Engine covers were polished and looks like new emblems.

Comment

Zav, nice bike, and happy for you that you have found a very nice replacement GS1000S for yourself.

I agree the screen is OEM, and even has the black screws and the square little rubber pieces at the bottom of the screen where it meets the cowling, they are sometimes missing when the screen has been replaced.

Also nice to see the dash is in very good condition and has the clock knob, which are hard to find.

I know of this bike and Jamie gave me the VIN a few years back for the VIN registry which I maintain.

Welcome to GSR and enjoy that bike.

David.
      2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
      2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
      1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
      2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
      1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
      1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
      1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
      Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

Not only that, but replacement ( not right from Suzuki when they were still available ) do not have the Suzuki GS 1000 printing on the edges either. If its printed its most likely the OEM screen.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by Zav View Post
          I forgot to comment on the windscreen. I believe is original, it has the "GS1000S" stamp on it..The paint is off white when you see it in real life it doesn't look that bright. Must be the picture. Thanks for your input. In case anyone wants to know I'm in Florida so bike will not see anymore winters, not that it has but I like the fact I can jump on it anytime and go for a spin. They must be enjoyed and ridden. Thanks.
          Good to hear you're gonna ride it. I think too many highly collectable bikes and cars are used as ornaments and investments. Remember to check the date stamps on the tires...old ones can be scary. Again, beautiful bike. Enjoy.

Comment

Sorry to be argumentative but the stock windscreen has raised lettering embossed into the plastic on the RH side, near the mirror. The lettering on my bikes screen is difficult to read, Yokogawa or something to this effect, and neither of the two S's I've restored had any black lettering by the LH mirror. Get out an eye loupe or your magnifier and have a peek if you want to be sure about this detail.

Holes in the fender are not stock. Very odd. Not sure what's the deal with the extra holes but maybe the fender came from a different bike? My S is wearing an 850 fender, which is ever so slightly different from the stock fender, but the mounting holes are same as stock.

Regarding the engine covers, Suzuki sprayed clear paint of some type on them when new. Corrosion would set up under the clear and there was no way to clean this up without first removing the clear, but in doing so you invite more corrosion. Sort of a catch 22 in effect. At any rate, if going for a concourse restoration one would have to reclear the covers after polishing. And don't polish too much. The OEM look is not a mirror polish like some people do. It's more of a really fine brushed finish.
            Last edited by Nessism; 12-13-2015, 10:06 AM.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
              Sorry to be argumentative but the stock windscreen has raised lettering embossed into the plastic on the RH side, near the mirror. The lettering on my bikes screen is difficult to read, Yokogawa or something to this effect, and neither of the two S's I've restored had any black lettering by the LH mirror. Get out an eye loupe or your magnifier and have a peek if you want to be sure about this detail.

Holes in the fender are not stock. Very odd. Not sure what's the deal with the extra holes but maybe the fender came from a different bike? My S is wearing an 850 fender, which is ever so slightly different from the stock fender, but the mounting holes are same as stock.

Ed, the manufacturer of the screens is KYOWA Gas Chemical Company and the product is called "KYOWALITE" that is the written on right side by the mirror. Actually cast into the plastic.

On the left side by the mirror is the black printed Suzuki GS1000S, both mine have that and are both OEM, (one is a little worn off as it's probably been cleaned a few times but still visible)

Not sure on the extra holes in the fender, certainly not stock and not sure why someone would add them unless like Rich, they didn't like the generous gap between the tire and fender.

I sure like the 1979 model with the flat seat, rather than the 1980 model with the humped seat and rear set foot pegs, maybe I might get me one of those one day.
              2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
              2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
              1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
              2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
              1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
              1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
              1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
              Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi Canuck View Post
                Ed, the manufacturer of the screens is KYOWA Gas Chemical Company and the product is called "KYOWALITE" that is the written on right side by the mirror. Actually cast into the plastic.

On the left side by the mirror is the black printed Suzuki GS1000S, both mine have that and are both OEM, (one is a little worn off as it's probably been cleaned a few times but still visible)

Not sure on the extra holes in the fender, certainly not stock and not sure why someone would add them unless like Rich, they didn't like the generous gap between the tire and fender.

I sure like the 1979 model with the flat seat, rather than the 1980 model with the humped seat and rear set foot pegs, maybe I might get me one of those one day.
                Okay, I relent on the black lettering. Don't remember seeing this lettering on the windscreens on my bikes but maybe it wore off before I got them. Most definitely look for the cast lettering on the RH side of the screen to be sure if it's OEM though.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Mine has the lettering by the left mirror also and I am the second owner of the bike.
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I have purchased two OEM screens, both NOS and at different times. The first one I purchased was in much older packaging than second one. The older packaged one had the black lettering, the second one did not.

Comment

Rich. Its been my belief, based on chats with guys that have been at dealerships in the mid 70s and 80s, that the ones from the factory as placed on going down the line had the printing. However there are conflicting stories about whether the factory replacements had lettering or not. After market ones for sure didnt due to copyright legalities.

Thats the scoop as it has all been explained to me anyway.

Comment

My 1000ST still has the factory screen and it is without the lettering.

Comment

IIRC, the one I purchased with the black lettering was just print and not pressed into the plastic. So, if you have and original and it is not there, it may have simply faded.

Comment

Mines just printed too.. not etched into the plastic.

Comment

Originally posted by Vmass View Post
                              IIRC, the one I purchased with the black lettering was just print and not pressed into the plastic. So, if you have and original and it is not there, it may have simply faded.
                              Wasn't there when I bought it new in '81.

Comment

Originally posted by rudeman View Post
                                Wasn't there when I bought it new in '81.
                                You are right it is printed in black on left side of windscreen.

Comment

Working...
                                X