1981 gs750 (gs750e) Retro Racer project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by John Kat View Post
    You might also be interested in this thread I wrote ?
    A modern fork upgrade for 17,18 and 19" wheels - Page 4 (thegsresources.com)

I've read your posts, and lots of others.. I've found out what they're talking about, when they say bikes with too much trail is dangerous in the corners; if the steering is too slow, the front wheel will not follow a natural line around a bend in the road. It will tend to follow a wider arch. If you're expecting it to steer quicker, you will lean into the curve and the bike could fall over because there is not enough force acting perpendicualr to the curve to counter your lean. The result will be a lowside crash.

Not that I'm a pro rider, but I think this would be a bigger problem for inexperienced riders. I've encountered similar effects when entering curves at 100mph with a passenger on the bike. The bike is heavier than normal and wants to "stand up", resulting in a wider arch. Inexperinced drivers will often react by turning more into the curve, resulting in the bike standing up even more and you risk driving off the road on the outside of the curve. Or crashing with cars in the opposite lane. This is countered (opposite to what inexperienced drivers may think) with reacting quickly and turning the front wheel towards the center line of the bike, like you wanted to run off into the woods. This will momentarinly tip the bike over enough that you can lean into the curve and the bike will follow through.

I've never had bikes with very large trail numbers myself, but at a time, early in my riding career, when I was used to my Kawazaki ZX7r which had very short suspension travel I borrowed a Kawasaki Zephyr with very soft, long stroke forks. When I took the offramp near home at the same speed and lean angle that I was used to, I nearly fell into the turn. The trail is about the same 99 vs 102mm, but the suspension reacts diffently.

My belief is therefore that many accidents linked to forkswaps are as much about riders doing what they're used to with a bike that handles totally different instead of taking the time to learn the bike as if it was a totally different bike.

I'll go ahead with the swap, knowing that I'll end up with 1-2 cm more trail. I'll go easy with the riding until I know how it handles, and if I'm not comfortable with it, I'll make the ride hight taller at the rear. If that's not enough I'll make or buy triples with more offset. I don't think the bike will be dangerous or unpredictable, I just think it will have a lower tolerance for high speed in sharp corners and that has to be taken into consideration when riding

Comment

For someone used to riding bikes, there's no danger in more trail, it's just a question of getting used to the different feeling.
      BMW with their R nine T for example has 108 mm and 27.8° of trail and rake.
      I would say that reducing the trail makes the bike more fun to ride in the twisties.
      sigpicJohn Kat
      My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
      GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Comment

For someone used to riding bikes, there's no danger in more trail, it's just a question of getting used to the different feeling.
        BMW with their R nine T for example has 108 mm and 27.8° of trail and rake.
        I would say that reducing the trail makes the bike more fun to ride in the twisties.
        I agree, and I'm grateful for the oppurtunity to have this conversation. I was afraid I was missing some important element to the eqation. I've seen some youtube pro-racing instructional videos and read several articles the last couple of days, and my (and others) conclusion is that much of what you read on the internet about the dangers of too much trail is hearsay stories told by people that don't really know what they are talking about. In one YT-video they went so far as to post questions to several forums about swapping forks. There was a big crowd of keyboard-experts warning about the "dangers of changing geometry". When they were asked followup questions, about 5% of the people warning people not to swap forks knew what they were talking about.

I will go forwad with the swap and do both the calculations and the psysical measurements. I took pictures of the color coding on the Koni shocks before I painted them, and I will maybe order new springs for them. I have the 4-step preload on the highest setting and they seem pretty soft. I haven't measured sag yet, but if sag is way off, I will either order new springs or new more modern (and maybe longer) shocks with better preload adjustment. The Koni shocks are serviceable, and I have recently serviced them. I also think they match the bikes look, so if I can keep them i will.

There are still a lot of stuff to do before the bike is ready, so I will save the fine adjustments for later. It's important to never get too satisfied with the bike. It's a hobby after all, and I don't want the journy to end

Comment

Originally posted by LarsKroghStea View Post
          I agree, and I'm grateful for the oppurtunity to have this conversation. I was afraid I was missing some important element to the eqation. I've seen some youtube pro-racing instructional videos and read several articles the last couple of days, and my (and others) conclusion is that much of what you read on the internet about the dangers of too much trail is hearsay stories told by people that don't really know what they are talking about. In one YT-video they went so far as to post questions to several forums about swapping forks. There was a big crowd of keyboard-experts warning about the "dangers of changing geometry". When they were asked followup questions, about 5% of the people warning people not to swap forks knew what they were talking about.

I will go forwad with the swap and do both the calculations and the psysical measurements. I took pictures of the color coding on the Koni shocks before I painted them, and I will maybe order new springs for them. I have the 4-step preload on the highest setting and they seem pretty soft. I haven't measured sag yet, but if sag is way off, I will either order new springs or new more modern (and maybe longer) shocks with better preload adjustment. The Koni shocks are serviceable, and I have recently serviced them. I also think they match the bikes look, so if I can keep them i will.

There are still a lot of stuff to do before the bike is ready, so I will save the fine adjustments for later. It's important to never get too satisfied with the bike. It's a hobby after all, and I don't want the journy to end
          The best book I read on the subject is :
          Motorcycle Dynamics by Vittore Cossalter.
          It's very technical but covers any question you might have about the dynamics of a motorbike.
          There's a chapter in particular that focuses on the role of the "normal trail" that aligns the front wheel with the forward velocity while the vertical load on the tire tends to cause the wheel to fall into the curve.
          This is very noticeable when you put the bike on the side stand.
          During normal riding, the rider must thus compensate for the action of these two forces to maintain the equilibrium.
          It's all on page 34 of the second edition of the book!
          BTW it's quite possible to get the magic 25°/100 mm numbers with a 19" front wheel as demonstrated by Ducati with their latest Multistrada V4 S quoted at 24.5°/102.5 mm.
          Last but not least, let's not forget that the reason trail bikes use a 19" front wheel is because when you hit a rock while riding off road there is a sudden big decrease of trail with the consequences we know...
          Last edited by John Kat; 12-14-2020, 08:43 AM.
          sigpicJohn Kat
          My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
          GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Comment

The best book I read on the subject is :
            Motorcycle Dynamics by Vittore Cossalter.
            It's very technical but covers any question you might have about the dynamics of a motorbike.
            There's a chapter in particular that focuses on the role of the "normal trail" that aligns the front wheel with the forward velocity while the vertical load on the tire tends to cause the wheel to fall into the curve.
            This is very noticeable when you put the bike on the side stand.
            During normal riding, the rider must thus compensate for the action of these two forces to maintain the equilibrium.
            It's all on page 34 of the second edition of the book!
            BTW it's quite possible to get the magic 25°/100 mm numbers with a 19" front wheel as demonstrated by Ducati with their latest Multistrada V4 S quoted at 24.5°/102.5 mm.
            Last but not least, let's not forget that the reason trail bikes use a 19" front wheel is because when you hit a rock while riding off road there is a sudden big decrease of trail with the consequences we know...

Got a hold of the PDF and read the first chapter. Pretty math heavy, but good indepth explanations of how a motorcycle behaves. One doesn't have to follow all the calculations to understand the hows and whys. I see the next chapter is about motorcycle tires, and I expect to get som good answers there too, about stuff that's hard to get to the bottom of by just reading articles online. Absolutely a great book

Comment

Well, it isn't christmas without a gift from me (and sometimes my wife) to my motorcycle This year it was the nicest gift since the brake master/clutch. Most of the stuff I get for my bike is either pretty cheap to buy, or they're cheap because I make them myself. And to start, the bike itself was as cheap as they come. The most expensive parts so far are the m-unit and the Accossato brake master and clutch levers. Second is the Motogadget Mini and the rear wheel. The Cognito Moto front wheel that I bought this year probably costs the same as all of the others added together. It certainly cost more than the bike itself.

On the other hand, insurance for the GS750 is next to nothing and compared to the insurance on the Kawasaki Zx7-R I drove when I got my license, the Cognito Moto wheel costs about two years worth of insurance. Better to give the money to myself Just realised that what you have been witnessing in the last few sentences is me justifying to myself the process of bying a ridiculously expensive part for my bike

Anyway..I've been looking for cheaper ways to convert to GSXR front fork with spoked wheel. There are other companies that make conversion hubs for motorcycles and most are even more expensive than Cognito Moto. Most of the time they are also far from being as complete a package. I thought of milling one myself, but there's not much room for errors and as T8erbug (thegsresources) said, aluminum blocks that size are so expensive that it doesn't make sense when you factor in errors and do-overs. Another option was a Harley front wheel or buying just the hub from CM and sourcing the other parts myself. I know Harley wheel is only 1mm or so narrower. Used Harley parts aren't as cheap in Norway as they are in the US. Adding to this is the price of special spokes. The cost of other options vary wildly, but the CM spokes are really high quality and looks great.

The last option was to make new front axle to convert my original front wheel. This would be a good option if I didn't want to use a radial fork. The radially mounted calipers sits closer together than older brake setups. On the original GS fork there's already little room between the calipers (depending on wheel size, some use GS1000 calipers with the tapered back to get the wheel to fit).

Long story short; I could probably, with a substantial amount of work/time spent making contacts/sourcing parts/money spent on parts that I didn't need/money spent on materials for adapters and so on, make a front conversion wheel for something between 50 to 75% of the price of the CM wheel.

The way the situation is now, that time is better used working overtime at my regular job and using the extra money to buy a preassembled CM wheel. It's certainly a satisfying feeling to have made something like this (I've alredy made the rear wheel from parts ). On the other hand, you can't take away the feeling when you unpack such an awesome product as the CM wheel.

Conclusion/TLDR: You can not go wrong with buying the Cognito Moto front wheel. The quality is awesome and if you factor in your own hourly rate, I don't think you can make it cheaper (unless you are a professional).

Comment

And here's a couple of pictures of the wheel/GSXR rotors and the custom Cognito Moto steering stops I bought with bonus points from buying the wheel. The unboxing experience really is premium and the wheel comes with soft cloth "showercaps" on both sides for protection. The bolts and steerings stop come in separate small cloth bags that are tied to the spokes so it wont get lost ine the styrofoam pellets.

Cognito Moto Gsxr Wheel by Lars Krogh-Stea, on Flickr

Comment

Like that look.
                  You can get a 120/70 on there? Excellent!
                  2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                    Like that look.
                    You can get a 120/70 on there? Excellent!
                    Yes, the plan is for a120/70 Pirelli, same as the rear.

Comment

Made a new drawing of the front wiring. The current setup is a bit messy, and with the new fork/headlight, I just as well redo it all. Too many wires together makes the loom stiff, and I'm grouping the wires by maximum five.I'm also running the wires inside the clip-ons this time, including the front brake-switch.

Wiring front by Lars Krogh-Stea, on Flickr

Comment

Got a couple of hours in the shed today. First task was cleaning the calipers from the new forks. I'm going to paint them black, so they will have to be really clean. All pistons move ok, and the pads are not too worn. Maybe I'll change pads anyway, now that they are out. It feels better to know what I kind of brakes I have. I can keep the others as emergency backups. As usual, a before/after photo:

Top triple by Lars Krogh-Stea, on Flickr

Comment

Update on the brakepads; they are EBC Double H, and I'll keep them

Comment

I'm using the original top triple, with some modifications. Before:

After, without ignition-tab but with gear indicator:

The plan is to powdercoat the triple and glue the indicator in place. Then I'll drill holes for the instrument lights, lik this:

L by Lars Krogh-Stea, on Flickr

Comment

Today I put together the fork to see what it's like. Seems pretty short without the weel, but I like the look. I'm putting on some shorter mounts for the headlight to get rid of the gap when looking at it from the side.

IMG_2814 by Lars Krogh-Stea, on Flickr

IMG_2817 by Lars Krogh-Stea, on Flickr

IMG_2816 by Lars Krogh-Stea, on Flickr

Comment

As you can see in the previous post I've used some high level CAD (Cardboard Aided Design) to visualize the placement of the fender. The fender is an aftermarket fender for the ducati Monster, and originally looks like this:
                                Ducati Monster fender by Lars Krogh-Stea, on Flickr

Since I'm using the 19" wheel (and because I think the original design looks backwards), I'm going for somthing like this:
                                616aaaa0930fe1857a1c9cc4ec933ca9 by Lars Krogh-Stea, on Flickr

Comment

Working...
                                X