Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LarsKroghStea View Post
    Thanks for all the info
    I have couple of questions though.. It was quite hard to get the measurements right.
    I just measured my top clamp, and I used a straight piece of rod and did a lot of adding/subtracting. With the clamp installed and the fork tubes raised above it, I laid a piece of drill rod across the tubes and used calipers to measure from it to the start of the middle hole. Knowing the diameter of the fork tube, the drill rod, and the steering stem hole, you can determine the offset.

Heck, if that mill you used has a DRO, couldn't you just use that? That thing is sweet.

Excited to see where this build goes!
    1983 GS650G
    Build thread: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=66251.0

Comment

Originally posted by JonnyC View Post
      I just measured my top clamp, and I used a straight piece of rod and did a lot of adding/subtracting. With the clamp installed and the fork tubes raised above it, I laid a piece of drill rod across the tubes and used calipers to measure from it to the start of the middle hole. Knowing the diameter of the fork tube, the drill rod, and the steering stem hole, you can determine the offset.

Heck, if that mill you used has a DRO, couldn't you just use that? That thing is sweet.

Excited to see where this build goes!
      Will do it as you decribe the manual way. The drill is mainly used for making signs and do not have DRO.

-Lars

Comment

I should have my top clamp from Bullit Custom Cycles in a few days, so I'll let you know if my measurement method was at all accurate
        1983 GS650G
        Build thread: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=66251.0

Comment

Took some tries to get the buck the way I wanted, but this is the final iteration:

20160529_194812_zpsc9rkobar by Lars Krogh-Stea, on Flickr

Hard to bend the metalplates by hand, but I'm not going for the perfect look anyway. The result is okay by my standard.

Bendingtool no 1:
          20160525_174046_zpsq6sclfem by Lars Krogh-Stea, on Flickr

Bendingtool no 2:
          20160525_174040_zpssrtje3v8 by Lars Krogh-Stea, on Flickr

Bendingtool no 3:
          20160525_171654_zpsnjxyx8cd by Lars Krogh-Stea, on Flickr

Result ready for final adjustement. Taped a stencil on the top along the middle to so that I could flip it back and forth and get both sides equal:
          20160529_155158_zpslwvsr8q0 by Lars Krogh-Stea, on Flickr
          Last edited by LarsKroghStea; 01-29-2018, 12:12 PM.

Comment

Original rear wheel with new powdercoated rim by the side.

Snapchat-8854658473716042179_zpsjeazhfri by Lars Krogh-Stea, on Flickr
            Last edited by LarsKroghStea; 01-29-2018, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Man, how you are making that seat just gave me the confidence to go and make my own like that, thanks a lot!

Comment

Originally posted by Rensdw View Post
                Man, how you are making that seat just gave me the confidence to go and make my own like that, thanks a lot!
                Thanks Looking forward to the result. Will post a picure of mine when the welding is done.

Comment

First try with the powdercoating equipment. Next up will be the spokes and nipples.

Snapchat-8548424895810138590_zpshz6x3crk by Lars Krogh-Stea, on Flickr

Snapchat-5750727464801896914_zps9h60mojs by Lars Krogh-Stea, on Flickr

Snapchat-3550012378084688016_zpshtswbcoz by Lars Krogh-Stea, on Flickr

Snapchat-207582542816693880_zpszzjh0kdu by Lars Krogh-Stea, on Flickr
                  Last edited by LarsKroghStea; 01-29-2018, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Had the time to powdercoat the spokes and nipples today. Covered half of the threads on the old spokes with masking tape and screwed the new nipples on them so the nipples would get completely covered in powder. Coated the new spokes by them selves. The finish was as smooth as the rim I ordered with professional powdercoating. The hub I did a couple of weeks ago didn't get quite as nice, and I understand now that it was because I didn't heat it enough before the baking. This causes the powder to not float properly.

Anyway, here are the pictures:

20160707_133821_zpsx0ns4jgx by Lars Krogh-Stea, on Flickr

20160707_145214_zpsppwflcp1 by Lars Krogh-Stea, on Flickr

20160707_212122_zpsp8rix6ty by Lars Krogh-Stea, on Flickr
                    Last edited by LarsKroghStea; 01-29-2018, 03:53 PM. Reason: Misspellings

Comment

The quality of the work on this site never ceases to amaze.
                      Nice work, Lars.
                      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                        The quality of the work on this site never ceases to amaze.
                        Nice work, Lars.
                        Thank you

Comment

My first welding project.

My second welding project.. Pretty steep learning curve, and the result isn't perfect, but I'm going for soul over perfect anyway I'm pretty happy with the metal not warping. Did a lot of short welds jumping around and taking pauses to keep control of the heat. Took an anglegrinder with a flappy disk and removed the excess metal. When I'm finished welding I'll use 80 grit paper in long strokes from front to back to make texture and finish off with Westwood diamond clear paint.

Comment

To check the stance of the bike I've now decided to finish the wheels before I finish and mount the seat. I've ordered a set of 17/48 teeth 520 JT sprockets and the narrowest DID chain I could find; the vx2. Hopefully that will fit without the need for an offset frontsproket. I'm also in the process of measuring the hub and rim to get the correct spokes. Soon my bike will be rolling again ��

Comment

Hej Lars..
                              Fed cykel du er ved at bygge. Glæder mig til at læse og se mere..

Hilsen
                              Benny fra Danmark

Comment

Originally posted by Benny A View Post
                                Hej Lars..
                                Fed cykel du er ved at bygge. Glæder mig til at læse og se mere..

Hilsen
                                Benny fra Danmark
                                Hei, hyggelig å høre fra en nabo Takk for det Søkte opp din sykkel også, og den ser skikkelig fin ut!

Comment

Working...
                                X