Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Potential New member!!! GS450L

Hi Guys

I'm a complete newby to the motorcycle world almost got my full license and I stumbled upon a interesting deal. 1983 GS450L 30 000km for 800$ CAD (572$ USD).

The owner sent me a video of the bike and it runs but they temporarily boosted it so I would have to purchase a new battery which is fine with me.

I plan on making this bike into a Cafe Racer/Brat style bike eventually with the help of my friend and father. Do you guys think this is a good purchase? as well as a first bike?

-------------
    I know that next winter i want to start modifying it. I want a long flat seat that can seat 2 people (kinda found it on ebay already), Clip on handlebars(found on ebay as well,33mm)
    Only thing i am worried about is the Tank. I like the sporty look of the GS450E for my Cafe/Brat. Are the tanks interchangeable ?

Pleasure to meet you all, please send me any tips and advice you have for this newby

The 450 (in any configuration) is a decent starting point for your motorcycling journey.

Seems to me, though, that the "Cafe/Brat" idea and a long seat that will hold two people are conflicting points.
    When you DO have your second person aboard, I hope you are friendly and patient. There is not a lot of room and two people will hamper performance quite a bit.

Sorry, but the tanks are not interchangeable without a LOT of work.
    I ride many bikes.
    Some are even Suzukis.

Comment

i only plan on rarely having a second person aboard. Is there any tank that would fit on the GS450L frame? or is my best option to hammer in dents for my knees?

Comment

ive got a 400L that im making into a café looking bike, check out my build thread. As for the tanks, I think putting an E tank on an L would require the most amount of work. I bought a 850 tank I think it is and it requires moving the coil brackets under the tank as well as the front tank supports. Im also going to make a small adapter plate to raise the rear end of the tank 3/4" to level it out

Comment

Originally posted by Rhum View Post

1983 GS450L 30 000km for 800$ CAD (572$ USD).

The owner sent me a video of the bike and it runs but they temporarily boosted it so I would have to purchase a new battery which is fine with me.
          Very high price for a 450 that needs work, especially for the Ladie's model. If you want a 450E wait for a 450E.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

$800 doesn't seem too bad if it runs and is plate ready, I saw this on craigslist this morning. Is there anything that makes this rare or desirable? What makes this GS worth so much?!?

Comment

All it needs is a battery which is about 100$.
              I like the L model but i just feel like the dents on the E tank suits the cafe style better :/

Comment

Originally posted by C_OUELLET View Post
                ive got a 400L that im making into a café looking bike, check out my build thread. As for the tanks, I think putting an E tank on an L would require the most amount of work. I bought a 850 tank I think it is and it requires moving the coil brackets under the tank as well as the front tank supports. Im also going to make a small adapter plate to raise the rear end of the tank 3/4" to level it out
                Was it hard to get the 850 tank onto your frame?
                What kind of tank would fit a 450L with none or minimal modifications?

Comment

Working...
                X