Putting a GS550 back on the road

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
    Sorry, haven't read through your entire thread but this part sounds like a BAD idea. Doing a valve adjust is absolutely critical and should be one of the first things done on any GS restore project. Tight valves can hang open when hot and burn both the valve and seats. Not good.
    Wouldn't the engine exhibit bad compression on tight valves?

Ah, "hot". Makes sense...I'll have a check after the next run. I assume running the engine for a few minutes only should be safe?

Even though I'll have to muster some courage to do my first valve jobbie and fear it'll take a lot of time to source shims, it's a better alternative than to ruin the engine...who know what the PO('s) did or didn't do.
    #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
    #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
    #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
    #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

If your cylinders filled with gas, the crankcase probably filled up also
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
        If your cylinders filled with gas, the crankcase probably filled up also
        It was a minute amount of fuel in #3 only. No gasoline smell detecable. Not too worried about it, and I'll change the oil quite soon again.
        #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
        #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here

Comment

So, time for some updates here. Images are clickable to get both higher resolution and sharpness.

Now, remember where I wasn't sure if exhaust gaskets were installed or not? Took a picture, which to old-timers is quite obvious (not to newbie me)...

...showed it to the owner of the local Suzi shop, and he confirmed that those are old gaskets, and they should come out easily.

Yeeeaaaaah, no. You might recall that I had to use heat to get the exhausts out, and in similar vein, the gaskets were almost fused to the head.

Naturally, I had not much pause to take pretty pictures. Here's one in the middle of the slaugher:

With some – literally – heated persuasion, sweat and swears (no tears tho, I'm way beyond that stage), I managed to get them out.

In this picture, there is no exhaust gasket. It's all corrosion residue, ash, what-have-you. At least I was able to get that crap away with a small dremel wire wheel.

New gaskets in, exhausts back on. One problem solved. Gasket aftermath (new vs. old):

I'm quite surprised that the old ones have stuck that fast. The new ones, while being at least double the thickness, were quite a bit smaller in diameter than the exhaust ports. I had to be quite artistic to get the exhausts on, as there was a challenge three-fold: 1. position gaskets correctly, 2. keep collars on top (they want to slip down and wedge themselves between frame and pipes in such a way that you cannot move the up later on) 3. align the exhausts so both back and front can be screwed on. All three to be done at the same time.

I was about two hands short, but managed in the end.

As for the petcock, out of curiosity I asked aformentioned Suzi shop wether they could get a replacement petcock? Indeed they could, from the suzi warehouse somewhere in Europe, for the low low price of 160$. Eeeeh....a quick ruffle through the misc parts bin, and a GSX 550 E petcock was used instead. Same bolt spacing, minor gasket difference, same principle of operation. Cleaned up sealing area on the tank with some steel wool, filled in a bit gas, confirmed good seal, still so after leaving it over night. Noice!

Also got the rubber and sleeve parts for the tank mount from the same place, screw and washer was already at hand. Hey, this is beginning to feel like IKEA – get the parts and simply assemble.

No, that would be too boring. Since I'm already that far, why not attempt to adjust valve clearances by myself? Suzi shop confirmed to have shims at hand, and will let me bring in old ones to reduce price for new ones (still have to figure out wether the shim club beats this, since I'm located across the big pond...).

Well, whip up an ad-hoc diaper to keep everyhing clean...

...download the valve guide from library, off with the breather cover (a long time since that was off - maybe still from Japan?)...

...and off comes the valve cover. This is somewhat of a milestone for me, since I never was that far into the engine up until now (Shut up, oldtimers).

Measured all tolerances, got two EX at below 0.03 and one IN right on the bottom mark. Unfortunately left my notes at the shop when I got the new shims, so right now I can't tell you which is which and what. More importantly; this is little thing that a garage buddy has brought in was super super useful:

In case you didn't spot it, it's a little magnet, with just the right amount of attraction. Just lift the shim a wee bit – to overcome the 'vacuum' created by the tight fit with oil - and pluck the shim out.

Ah, yes, used the zip-tie method popularized in this very forum to hold the valves open:

Btw, shop owner asked me why I didn't bring the old shims with me in the first place; told him I can't rotate the cams without the shims in place, that would damage buckets and cam lobes (I read that here)? He told me that's not true. So, oldtimers, now's your time. Who is right?

--- splitting up post here because for some reason we can't include more than 10 images in a post, in spite of the recent upgrade --

Comment

Anyway. Getting back home, took the valve cover, breather cover and cam caps (or whatever it's called, online parts fiche are of no help) to the buffing wheel. breather cover halfway through, caps done:

Still trying to figure out why some aluminum parts can be buffed to a mirror finish, others not above "cloudy". Hmmm.
            Last edited by roeme; 02-10-2018, 06:20 PM.

Comment

The reason some of those parts may not shine up is they have a clear coat on them, use 600-800 grit wet & dry sand paper and see if it takes off the clear coat, or use paint stripper.

Nice job so far.

David.
              Last edited by Kiwi Canuck; 02-18-2018, 06:51 PM.
              2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
              2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
              1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
              2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
              1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
              1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
              1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
              Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi Canuck View Post
                The reason some of those parts may not shine up is they have a clear coat on them, use 600-800 grit wet & dry sand paper and see if it takes off the clear coat, or use pint stripper.

Nice job so far.

David.
                Thanks!

I will revisit aluminium parts then with some sandpaper.

In other news, not much happening in terms of project progress, though I did visit the bike today to get the engine running for the first time after valve adjustment.

Was relatively hard to start, and hesistant to take throttle until warmed up, but that was most likely due to very cold temps, me not yet used to this engine&carb setup, and not waiting long enough for the bowls to fill proper.

As the bike is not yet plated, I only drove it around on a nearby parking lot for a bit. Engine felt smooth, and itching to get above 5K rpms, but I behaved myself.

Only "complaint" I have currently that she seems a bit hesitant to drop rpms after closing throttle (I'm well used to that symptom and its causes from my other GS), but this may be due to the carbs set up differently (PO put in 130 jets) and only bench-synch'ed as of now.

All that remains prior to inspection now:
                - Fix mis-wired indicators, maybe replay blinker relay
                - Mount chainguard (Requirement for inspection)
                - Get new tyres on
                - Sync carbs (that one's not strictly needed, but it's not a big job anyway).

Comment

congrats on the first startup and ride!
                  Really nice work so far, following along.

Comment

So I've been a bit lazy with keeping this thread up-to-date, but work on the bike could continue only intermittently anyway, as work and despicable weather interfered.

Nonetheless, the bike now got fresh tyres. After having experienced Metzeler Sportec Classics, Pirelli Sport Demons, and Bridgestone's BT45, I've put on BT45s on this bike as well.
                    Also, cleaned up the front axle assembly parts, those were just horrible, axle nut even required some heat to come loose.
                    The ultrasonic had to take its merry time with all these parts, gotta invest in a parts cleaner to be able to prep the parts better.

Overall the bike still has lots of work still in it, but at this point it's mainly cosmetic and improvements, the fundamentals are now covered, and the bike ready for inspection.

A snapshot before re-mounting the wheels...

After I've got the wheels on, I really wasn't content enough with the parking lot, and took the bike a bit further (non-public roads). However, as it has sat for about two weeks prior, the bike was nearly impossible to start with the kickstart, did take some time with the starter and hung on to choke for a good minute. Also, #3 wasn't firing - a quick check with the ignition lamp told me that at least spark should be getting there...humph, did I screw up the valve adjustment or something in the carbs? This would be real bummer this close to the end...

Still, I wanted to get the bike at least out of the door for a bit. After driving around the parking lot for a bit, upon opening the throttle a bit more, the bike surprised me (and some pedestrians) with a super loud BANG! - cylinder three had woken up, and ignited some previously un-burnt fuel in the exhaust...so at least fuel's coming through carb #3, hence something else must be amiss there

I then took the bike on aforementioned paths, carefully listening for some weird sounds, and opening the throttle incrementally. Mind that I'm used only to my first 550, which has it's own set of issues and things rattling around. Also, this one has non-standard main jets (130 vs 80), so one additional thing which will feel quite differently. The only thing I can say currently is that this setup returns to idle slower than my other 550 (not as serious as with an air-leak though), and dropping off the throttle quickly results it some faint high-pitched rattling noises at the beginning of engine braking. Though nothing too much out of the ordinary I assume, since I was testing without a helmet on anyway, in order to hear better. Possible that I simply heard stuff I couldn't notice before.

But man, am I one happy camper! Finally, finally I can begin using this bike properly. And for once, weather let me take a decent shot:

And another one:

Yes, still work left to do, as previously mentioned. But nothing too serious or I haven't done previously.

Next day, I synchronized the carbs. This time around, the bike came alive quite fast after hitting the starter button, which leads me to believe that the carbs and valves are fine, and I "simply" had the bike sitting around for too long last time. Not 100% convinced yet, but it's too early for myself to jump to conclusions; first I've got to get some experience with this bike's setup .

Carb syncing time! They were bench-synced, so adjustments were minor, but still had to touch everyone of them.

That syncing is such a royal PITA on the GS, getting at that #2 sync port must be some engineer's strange idea of humour. Still, I got it done. Didn't go for a test run though, as the weather once again was worsening. The skies are basically just trolling currently.

Now for all the bureaucratic stuff.

Edit: #3 stuff
                    Last edited by roeme; 04-01-2018, 03:14 PM.

Comment

So on monday, I jumped through all the hoops to get the bike road legal. In my particular jurisdiction (the process is not the same across the country), for a bike that hasn't been insured nor inspected for a good 20 years and doing that as a citizen, not commercially, that means getting temporary plates, then getting the bike inspected, then have the title transferred and getting definitive plates.

I will spare you the somewhat kafkaesque experience at the agency ("DMV"), this is popular culture by now – suffice to say I got the plates, and even got them in a timely manner (I was prepared).

Temporary plates are costly, so naturally I got them only for duration of the day the inspection was due. Meaning a proper shakedown ride, highway and all, I could only undertake a few hours prior to the inspection. Including fixing any issues that arose. And you guessed it, issues did appear.

First, the bike began to lose power intermittently, with no clear correlation to rpms. Stumbling, hesitating, re-awakening, exhaust backfires - had it all. A quick spit-check of exhaust temperatures confirmed that 2&3 weren't doing their part, so I prepared to swap a known good ignition coil from my other 550. Just as I had the tank off, I noticed the culprit: The primary connection of the 2&3 coil was broken, one of the spade lugs shook loose. T'was no wonder, I could slip the lug on and off nilly-willy. Squeezed the lug with some pliers good and proper, then it held on like it should.

I realized that this might've happened to the PO, recall that I found the other original coil dead on this bike. My hypothesis is that for whatever reason the bike was run too long on that coil only, so too much load was put on it, until it finally died (No idea if this is possible though).

Anyway, having fixed that, I set off – after I while I noticed the speedo indicating zilch. The speedo cable had finally given up the ghost. It did look very tired when I worked on the bike, but as it worked so far, I put off ordering a replacement (more on that later). Not only that, the rear indicators stopped working as well, once again, a loose connection, and one rear indicator practically disintigrated due to the combination of prior damage done by a third party, and vibration.

Welp, couldn't do nuffin' about it now. Went to the inspection place, and through all the checks with the very friendly inspector. Aforementioned issues were duly noted&recorded, but otherwise the bike was fine, brakes good, headlight adjusted properly, no leaks, engine fine...basically, safe to be put on public roads, sans cosmetics. Passed, under the conditions that I had to fix the speedo/indicators ASAP, no follow-up inspection required.

I am a happy camper.

Went for a few more miles, and upon revisiting the garage found out that I had a replacement speedo cable ready! Ordered that some time ago and forgot about it. On it went. Also, fixed the indicators.

Tuesday, I got insurance and sent off the necessary paperwork to get the bike titled, and plated.

....and finally today, I got the new title in the mail.

So for now, this thread has concluded, as the bike is back on the road, and now begins its service - which was the original goal. Cosmetics and stuff I'll handle in different threads.

I've learned a ton, made mistakes that I'll be able to avoid in the future, and will be able to overhaul my first bike with much more confidence.

Almost can't believe it's been two years already.
                      Last edited by roeme; 04-12-2018, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Congrats..... glad it came together. Now to enjoy it!
                        sigpic
                        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                        -Rusty old scooter.
                        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Congrats and enjoy the ride! Thanks for taking the time to post and share the experience. Your statement that you've "learned a ton" says it all. This website is amazing for those who increased their knowledge, skill and ability due to the sharing of those who know these great old bikes so well. Sure makes the ride more enjoyable when you put it together yourself.
                          GS550T 1981
                          GS850G 1983
                          GS650G 1982
                          GS650G 1982 Under Restoration 😳🏍👍

Comment

Thanks for the kind words.

Totally agree, this is the real magic of the internet for me, bringing like-minded people together from all around the globe.

Comment

Btw, shop owner asked me why I didn't bring the old shims with me in the first place; told him I can't rotate the cams without the shims in place, that would damage buckets and cam lobes (I read that here)? He told me that's not true. So, oldtimers, now's your time. Who is right?
                              I can say with some degree of certainty that if you turn the engine over without a shim or a shim substitute in the bucket, you will chip the edge of the cam lobe.
                              A coin of suitable size is a good substitute.
                              Last edited by Grimly; 08-26-2019, 09:18 PM.
                              ---- Dave
                              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                              X