Tire recommendation for 1977 GS 400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by John Park View Post
    While we're here, I'd like to mention that the steel rims on these bikes had a propensity to rust. Even if the outside looks pretty good, the moisture would go down the spoke holes and the spoke well would get pretty funky. It's not usually a structural factor, but flakes of rusty chrome can work their way around and puncture a tube sometime down the road. They also used some sort of machine to tighten the nipples, and I've seen the end of the nipple slot twisted up to a point and puncture the rim strip and then the tube.

So the chances of a thorough inspection and service of the rim probably won't happen at the shop. They'll take the usual attitude of 'it held air before, so it will again'. Unless the bike lived in a really dry place, you'll have to take a wire brush and get any loose rust off. I also like to take a file and make sure the nipples don't have any sharp edges poking up. In all probability, the rim strip will be ancient; you'll also need a new tube - keep the old one for a spare.

Spin the wheel bearings to see if they're smooth. You can pry the dust covers off the bearings and pack some fresh grease in. Removing the 20th century grease first is nice, but by that time you're probably best just fitting new bearings; you'll destroy them taking them out and they're cheap.

Being able to service your own wheels and tires is empowering. In theory, bike shops should take a very serious attitude towards tires and wheels, but often the shop flunky gets to do it because the journeyman is in the middle of some major rebuild and can't be bothered. I've seen so many horrors that should never have happened. So, even if it's your first time, at least you know you're sober and care about what you're doing and your mind isn't on something else. And you're not in a hurry.
    John Park,

Thanks again for the attention to detail. I agree with everything you mentioned above. No one is more concerned with ones safety then his or herself.

I think I am going to go for those Duro's you mentioned. Going to wait for some warmer weather up here in Toronto, Canada before I make the swap.

Will let you know how it all goes.

Forums have been nothing short of a gold mine of knowledge.

Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      Come to my house and watch, I'm putting the new Roadriders on the 450 and putting the studded knobbies on the DR today.

Actually this one is good:

http://advrider.com/index.php?resour...e-changing.56/

Thanks again! I'll sign up and check this out.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        Come to my house and watch, I'm putting the new Roadriders on the 450 and putting the studded knobbies on the DR today.

Actually this one is good:

http://advrider.com/index.php?resour...e-changing.56/

For some reason, it's not allowing me to view the full content of the post -- even after registration. Any ideas?

Comment

I'm surprised you have to register at all. Can you other guys see it?

Neduro's thread that covers tire changing with pictures

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

On my 450 (same size rims) I initially had Pirelli Sport Demons on in 100/90-18 front and 110/90-18 rear.

They were great in the wet or dry but the profile was just a little too tall on the front and certain corners at certain speeds had an odd sensation when tipping in. In addition, I was getting 5500km's max out of the rear before the centre was bald from commuting which makes up the majority of my riding unfortunately.

I switched to Avon RoadRiders a while back in 90/90-18 front and 100/90-18 rear. The weird tipping sensation has gone due to the better profile and they still feel great in the dry (in fact a little "softer" on the road), but they're not quite as grippy in the wet. Close, just not the same. I also now get 7500 - 8000 km's out of a rear.

Just my opinion but it's a back to back comparison at least...
            1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

I have not read through all the comments, this tire may have been suggested already, but here is a link to the IRC durotours that I bought, still have not rode on them yet though. They did arrive very quickly too.
              America's trusted online source to shop the best discounted Motorcycle, UTV, ATV, Side by Side, and 4 Wheeler aftermarket tires, gear, parts and accessories.

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
                On my 450 (same size rims) I initially had Pirelli Sport Demons on in 100/90-18 front and 110/90-18 rear.

They were great in the wet or dry but the profile was just a little too tall on the front and certain corners at certain speeds had an odd sensation when tipping in. In addition, I was getting 5500km's max out of the rear before the centre was bald from commuting which makes up the majority of my riding unfortunately.

I switched to Avon RoadRiders a while back in 90/90-18 front and 100/90-18 rear. The weird tipping sensation has gone due to the better profile and they still feel great in the dry (in fact a little "softer" on the road), but they're not quite as grippy in the wet. Close, just not the same. I also now get 7500 - 8000 km's out of a rear.

Just my opinion but it's a back to back comparison at least...
                A 100/90 anything on that skinny 1.60 rim will probably be pinched up in the middle and tippy; 'tall' had little to do with it. Even a 90/90 is on the edge. It may be a back to back comparison, but it's not apples to apples. The original tire was about 80mm wide.

My next winters project is to lace 2.15 rims [alloys!!] so I can run a 'wider' range of tires. The remaining choices are already getting pretty thin and waiting for a stroke of the accountant's axe. Of course, even 18" is getting old now that everything is on 17".
                '82 GS450T

Comment

Thanks for the tire suggestions.

I've also been thinking about a tubed vs tubeless front tire - quick pros and cons? I've heard tubeless is less susceptible for blow outs; any truth to this?

Comment

Originally posted by C_OUELLET View Post
                    I have not read through all the comments, this tire may have been suggested already, but here is a link to the IRC durotours that I bought, still have not rode on them yet though. They did arrive very quickly too.
                    http://www.americanmototire.com/cata...ath=33_145_151
                    They don't list a 100/90-18 rear tire. Did you go with the 100/90-18 front tire on the rear, or the 110/90-18 rear tire?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by mobius View Post
                      Thanks for the tire suggestions.

I've also been thinking about a tubed vs tubeless front tire - quick pros and cons? I've heard tubeless is less susceptible for blow outs; any truth to this?
                      You won't be able to run tubeless with the wire spoked wheels. You can run a tubeless tire, but only with a tube in it. Apart from the sealing bead, they are pretty much the same casing so it doesn't matter in your case.

Tubeless should, in theory, leak down less than a tube so your chances of running under inflated are far lower. So, yes, tubeless is less susceptible to blowouts. With a tube, you have to top up your tires at least once a month. Properly inflated, there should be no difference in resistance to blowouts.
                      '82 GS450T

Comment

Working...
                      X