Clear All

Originally posted by Berti View Post
    So, let's start counting:
    Berti 1 Set
    Tadakan 1 set
    Chuck ?possibly?
    MechMessiah ?1 Set?

Who else?
    No I have several sets here already! Only 1 engine ready to go with them, got stalled due to difficult long recovery from knee surgery & spending all my time since I was capable enough riding my GS vs wrenching!

I may in the coming years order a 1-off batch of 58mm(?) 570cc GS650 pistons for a +2mm overbored GS550 cylinder block if I start racing more competitively in WERA Vintage 4 (570cc class limit on air cooled 4 stroke OHC 2-valve/cyl) as opposed to running my 489cc GS425 2cyl proposed build in a lesser-attended vintage racing class...
    '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
    '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
    '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
    '79 GS425stock
    PROJECTS:
    '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
    '77 GS550 740cc major mods
    '77 GS400 489cc racer build
    '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
    '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

*push*

unfortunately it looks like the interest is rather limited...
      Vancouver, BC
      Suzuki GS 650G '81

Comment

Perhaps you could try some Facebook groups for vintage Japanese motorcycles? Perhaps there is even a Facebook group for Suzuki GS's. The viewership is much higher, but the past information is perpetually just lost deeper and deeper in the archives, so the forums are far better for reference & cohesive information gathering, but the Facebook groups may find some additional interest due to Facebook engineers intentionally creating a very addictive time-suck...
        '79 GS425stock
        PROJECTS:
        '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Hi everyone,

I've decided to discontinue my GS650G project. It's not worth the time and hassle to get the bike back on the street. Although I like the bike and idea, there are easier and cheaper ways to get a nice bike.

So I have all the parts for sell plus an additional 650G engine. If you need anything, let me know.

Thanks!
          Vancouver, BC
          Suzuki GS 650G '81

Comment

Hi everyone,

I've decided to discontinue my GS650G project. It's not worth the time and hassle to get the bike back on the street. Although I like the bike and idea, there are easier and cheaper ways to get a nice bike.

So I have all the parts for sell plus an additional 650G engine. If you need anything, let me know.

Thanks!
            You give up easily! Putting a 650 top end on a chain drive 550, & basic brake and suspension modifications, good tires, & two tiny little frame braces welded in, and you have a top notch very fast & very agile vintage middleweight superbike candidate..
            That tops most other bikes in this category/era hands down. Although a 1st year GPz550 with a 610cc kit is very fast & agile, the bottom end can't handle abuse with that kind if power, & the rods will be the first to blow if running really hard and with big aftermarket cams.
            A GPz750 basically stock is the only bike that surpasses a GS650E or GS550/650 hybrid in terms of speed/power, light weight, & handling but it still has the issue with weak rods not capable of handling excessive power/mods and abuse.

The 550/650 hybrid build is definitely a VERY POTENT vintage machine...
            '79 GS425stock
            PROJECTS:
            '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

If shipping weren't so far, I'd be looking for a good spare 650 top end and carbs. But I'd urge you to stick with it & use the winter to get the bike freshened up & do the top end swap.
              '79 GS425stock
              PROJECTS:
              '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

It's not about giving up easily....

I want to be on the road next spring. I'm also not looking for 550/650 conversion. I have a GS650G. Actually 2 engines. Both cylinders needs boring, because they were both sitting for ages and the previous owners didn't care.
                In order to get the engine back to life, I need boring. With boring I need oversize pistons. Just boring and oversize pistons(if I even get oversize pistons) are CAD1000+. Plus gaskets, tires and a million other things. So I'm very quickly in a price range, where I get a decent Honda from the 90's or maybe early '00s that will last forever without a lot of maintenance.

Don't get me wrong. I would love to finish this project. But I want to ride and go on adventures. And because I don't have a lot of many to throw out of the window I need to prioritize. I hope that makes sense.
                Vancouver, BC
                Suzuki GS 650G '81

Comment

It's not about giving up easily....

I want to be on the road next spring. I'm also not looking for 550/650 conversion. I have a GS650G. Actually 2 engines. Both cylinders needs boring, because they were both sitting for ages and the previous owners didn't care.
                  In order to get the engine back to life, I need boring. With boring I need oversize pistons. Just boring and oversize pistons(if I even get oversize pistons) are CAD1000+. Plus gaskets, tires and a million other things. So I'm very quickly in a price range, where I get a decent Honda from the 90's or maybe early '00s that will last forever without a lot of maintenance.

Don't get me wrong. I would love to finish this project. But I want to ride and go on adventures. And because I don't have a lot of many to throw out of the window I need to prioritize. I hope that makes sense.
                  It's ok Dude. I know I go through the economy of restoring any bike before purchase. Even have a GS650E under consideration, that might have to include engine boring and camshaft replacement. It does look kinda high priced to me right now.
                  Buying a vintage bike in very good running condition is just good sense.
                  Pistons and cams are available for select popular vintage bikes, I know these include the GS1000 and some Kawasaki GPz bikes including the 550cc. Some vintage GSXR years are supported some are not.
                  Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 11-25-2019, 05:29 PM.
                  "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                  1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                  1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                  1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

If more get on board, I'm highly interested.
                    Also, has anyone considered instead of removing material from the 550 case to fit the 650 cylinders, to remove the individual cylinders and lathe the outer bottom of each cylinder to fit? Doing this route would eliminate potential case shavings from getting dropped into the bearings/bottom end. Just an idea I had.

Comment

EDIT - DO NOT BUY THESE! THEY DO NOT FIT A 650 HEAD!

So this big bore 550/650-740cc mod just got a lot cheaper... I had seen these last year on eBay, but being that the Wiseco are higher compression and able to run aftermarket camshafts (deeper valve pockets), I hadn't said much about the budget alternative, in hopes of others doing a second group purchase of these pistons.

But now it seems that getting another group buy together is a little lacking, I'll just offer up this option:

https://www.cruzinimage.net/2018/12/18/81-83-suzuki-gs650-740cc-bigbore-pistons-kit-65mm-piston/

81-83 SUZUKI GS650 740cc BIGBORE PISTONS KIT 65mm PISTON

-DESCRIPTION-◆10-GS650BB◆
                      *81-83 Suzuki GS650 Bigbore pistons kit with Head Gasket
                      Aftermarket
                      Piston size: 65mm( 3.00mm Oversize )
                      Head gasket: Bore size is 68mm
                      *Set includes: pistons, pins, clips,rings and head gasket
                      Note: Cylinder boring required
                      These pistons are aftermarket.different design from of the Suzuki genuine pistons

All that for $200 shipped to the USA! Japan seller, but made in Taiwan iirc. I have a set of 870cc 70mm pistons for GS750/850 applications, and they appear to be every bit as good of quality as the OEM Suzuki ART Pistons, and the first stuff this company was offering was old Honda CB big bore kits years ago, and those things have been proven to hold up as good as OEM and be of reputable quality... Highly advocated amongst the SOHC Honda Fours crowd. The rings I might suspect aren't as good as OEM, but maybe they will hold up as well as OEM anyways?

You will still need to run a thicker custom base gasket with these unless the head gaskets are thicker than stock (compressed thickness) by at least .005" or more, but that's the easiest part. Cometic can custom make base gaskets for cheap if you tell them GS550 base gasket with GS650 sleeve sizes, and in custom thickness (refer back in this thread for actual thickness needed). Or if Cometic has a GS650E gasket on file, different than the 650G, it is exactly what is needed but in a slightly thicker gasket material. Perhaps the GS650G gasket method may be better though, as a thicker 550/650E style base gasket will leave the rear corner oil feed passage egg-shaped o-rings less compressed than with stock base gasket. Suzuki_Don and others who did the custom thicker base gasket I believe had the 650G style and let the egg shaped oil pressure o-ring seat against the bottom of the paper gasket, which would have it compressing .020" more than it was intended. So A LOT MORE compression vs slightly less compression of this oil pressure o-ring are the two options if you are going thicker base gasket. The verdict is up for debate.

With the cast piston option above, I'd be shaving the head slightly, and running just enough thickness of head and base gaskets to give the piston adequate clearance, in order to maximize the squish band and slightly bump up compression ratio...

EDIT - DO NOT BUY THESE! THEY DO NOT FIT A 650 HEAD!
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Chuck78; 10-22-2021, 08:17 AM.
                      '79 GS425stock
                      PROJECTS:
                      '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

One big argument I see here for the WIseco piston vs these, is that these state that they're a different design than the OEM pistons. I see waaaayyyy less quench area there, perhaps they are more like the 550 pistons in this regard? I'd really like to have a set of these in my hands to see what they are all about.

Perhaps that is a stock image and not actually the GS650 piston kit? Huge difference in dome/quench design, so I'm guessing yes. Comparison:

VS

Last edited by Chuck78; 05-14-2020, 12:35 AM.
                        '79 GS425stock
                        PROJECTS:
                        '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Well, I bought these pistons and this is the result...

Vancouver, BC
                          Suzuki GS 650G '81

Comment

Well, I bought these pistons and this is the result...

https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...23#post2651323
                            Awww man that SUCKS! They basically sold you a hemi head domed piston nearly identical to the stock 77-79 GS750 piston...
                            I would DEFINITELY be contacting them to complain, at least so they pull them and don't screw over anyone else... Unless perhaps they actually did mix up and send you GS750 65mm stock hemi pistons vs big bore GS650 65mm closed chamber head pistons...
                            MAJOR BUMMER...
                            But... an 80+ 8v GS550 head may potentially work on that piston with minor dome machining around the perimeter. There's no way you could machine that big hemi dome down to the 650 dome shape/size, you'd cut through to the back side...
                            '79 GS425stock
                            PROJECTS:
                            '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck78 View Post
                              So this big bore 550/650-740cc mod just got a lot cheaper... I had seen these last year on eBay, but being that the Wiseco are higher compression and able to run aftermarket camshafts (deeper valve pockets), I hadn't said much about the budget alternative, in hopes of others doing a second group purchase of these pistons.

But now it seems that getting another group buy together is a little lacking, I'll just offer up this option:

https://www.cruzinimage.net/2018/12/18/81-83-suzuki-gs650-740cc-bigbore-pistons-kit-65mm-piston/

81-83 SUZUKI GS650 740cc BIGBORE PISTONS KIT 65mm PISTON

-DESCRIPTION-◆10-GS650BB◆
                              *81-83 Suzuki GS650 Bigbore pistons kit with Head Gasket
                              Aftermarket
                              Piston size: 65mm( 3.00mm Oversize )
                              Head gasket: Bore size is 68mm
                              *Set includes: pistons, pins, clips,rings and head gasket
                              Note: Cylinder boring required
                              These pistons are aftermarket.different design from of the Suzuki genuine pistons

All that for $200 shipped to the USA! Japan seller, but made in Taiwan iirc. I have a set of 870cc 70mm pistons for GS750/850 applications, and they appear to be every bit as good of quality as the OEM Suzuki ART Pistons, and the first stuff this company was offering was old Honda CB big bore kits years ago, and those things have been proven to hold up as good as OEM and be of reputable quality... Highly advocated amongst the SOHC Honda Fours crowd. The rings I might suspect aren't as good as OEM, but maybe they will hold up as well as OEM anyways?

You will still need to run a thicker custom base gasket with these unless the head gaskets are thicker than stock (compressed thickness) by at least .005" or more, but that's the easiest part. Cometic can custom make base gaskets for cheap if you tell them GS550 base gasket with GS650 sleeve sizes, and in custom thickness (refer back in this thread for actual thickness needed). Or if Cometic has a GS650E gasket on file, different than the 650G, it is exactly what is needed but in a slightly thicker gasket material. Perhaps the GS650G gasket method may be better though, as a thicker 550/650E style base gasket will leave the rear corner oil feed passage egg-shaped o-rings less compressed than with stock base gasket. Suzuki_Don and others who did the custom thicker base gasket I believe had the 650G style and let the egg shaped oil pressure o-ring seat against the bottom of the paper gasket, which would have it compressing .020" more than it was intended. So A LOT MORE compression vs slightly less compression of this oil pressure o-ring are the two options if you are going thicker base gasket. The verdict is up for debate.

With the cast piston option above, I'd be shaving the head slightly, and running just enough thickness of head and base gaskets to give the piston adequate clearance, in order to maximize the squish band and slightly bump up compression ratio...
                              wow that is cheap! I am considering buying a spare engine for my 1979 gs500e. And cylinder and head from a 650. Now to get this to fit what is needed to be done? This thread is so long it would take ages to read thru 😂 but if i recall correct after reading this a year ago I need to bore the 650 cylinders. And some grinding/machining on the bottom end to make the cylinders slip in?? And was there something needed to be done to the camchain tensioner? Thanx for any answers and advice in advance! Highly appreciated.

Comment

I hope I caught you in time, do not buy that Cruizin Image kit. Although they make some great pistons for other applications, this was a huge blunder on their part. These are basically just GS750 stock bore pistons and have only the correct pin size and compression height to fit a 650 or 550. That's where it ends. The dome and valve reliefs are completely completely wrong, and are not compatible with the 650 head.
                                The 650 combustion chamber shape and intake runner shape is why the 650 is such a superior engine, it is the best two valve for cylinder design Suzuki had back then. It's possible that someone could machine out the 650 head to go back in time to an inferior hemi dome chamber to fit these, but you would lose about the same amount of power that you would have gained just by running stock 650 pistons and stock 650 head...
                                They make a note saying that these are not the same design as the factory 650 pistons. That basically means they just saw that they were the correct height and wrist fin size to make a 3 mm overbore 650... So the manufacturer made the same assumption / mistake that a lot of amateurs do, and thinking that they can stuff listons from a different application into their engine and everything will work perfectly...

Cruizin Image made a huge mistake by just assuming that all two valve per cylinder GS models would be similar, they probably never even looked at a 650 combustion chamber. Very surprising because all of their hemi pistons are same quality as OEM, impressing a lot of people for their price especially.
                                '79 GS425stock
                                PROJECTS:
                                '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Working...
                                X