trying to get my 82 650 back on the road

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

trying to get my 82 650 back on the road

over the weekend found this for really cheap and Im looking forward to the challenge of getting it running again. Looking on the internet Im assuming that I am going to have to buy most of the parts online since its a older bike. Also assuming that I am going to have to rebuild and tune the carbs since this is a pretty common problem with these models.
    So Im wondering where the best place to buy parts online is? I really have no idea where to start. Also looking for a repair manual and or owners manual. Lastly im still not entirely sure what model i do have. The Title says "GL", the side panels just have "L" and the exsaust has this on it
    6.jpg

Welcome! You probably have a 650L. There should be a sticker on the headstock which will give you the model and year. Basscliff's site will have a: manual, carb tutorials and a mass of polite help... http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/ Let us know where you are located, maybe we can help. cg
    sigpic
    83 GS1100g
    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Yup,

all the indicators are there for a GL...should have a "stepped" seat and chromed fenders as well, unless it has received the "chopped" treatment.

The 650s are a bit of an odd duck, and don't share many parts with other models. However, they are still just as solid a platform as any of the others.

Welcome to the GSR. Send us more pics. You can put in full size images (up to 10) in a post if you use the IMG links from Photobucket or other image host.
      '83 GS650G
      '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

It's an L ,probably one disc brake caliper up front?
        Anyways, parts available on ebay, plenty of these critters have been discarded and stripped.
        exhaust looks decent,what mileage is showing?

Put your location in your signature, might be member near by
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

For parts there are several resources on-line. BikeBandit, PartShark and more. Suzuki parts availability is still relatively good for these bikes so you may check with your local dealer if you have one near-by. They'll undoubtedly have to order the parts but so will you so might as well give them a shot.
          -1978 Suzuki GS1000EC
          DONE!!! Rebuild thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=155564
          -2012 Triumph Daytona 675R

Comment

Parts Outlaw and Z1 enterprises are the best places I've found for parts. Ebay is good too. I found these after overpaying for a few things at the local dealer.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
            1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

welcome to the forum. there is lots and lots of great info from the members here.
              1982 GS1100G

....I've learned alot by making stupid mistakes..

Comment

thanks

thanks for all the advice about parts guys. Basscliffs websites going to be very helpful for sure. The odometer reads just over 7500. having trouble getting more photos uploaded created and photobucket account I go to upload the photo from the URL it just freezes so heres a link to the album

Oh also I currently live in Clarendon Tx, about an hour outside Amarillo Tx going east on 287

Comment

Pics from poulet-orange!

'83 GS650G
                  '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

That bike will clean just fine. Fork seals are shot, but I guess you figured that out. Seat cover and side covers and it will look good.Clarendon is a bit far for me to come over and help but there are some Texicans around. Good luck and stay in touch.

cg
                    sigpic
                    83 GS1100g

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

If that's the original tank, likely to be an '83, sold in '82, registered as an '82.
                      sigpicSome of the totally committed probably should be.
                      '58 + '63 Vespa 150's' (London, GB/RI, US)
                      '67 X6 T20 ('67 Long Beach, Ca.- misty-eyed)
                      '71 Kaw. A1-ugh ('71 SF, CA- worked @ Kaw dlr)
                      '66 Yam. YL1('72 SF-commuter beater)
                      '73 Kaw. S2A-2Xugh ('73 SF-still parts slave)
                      '78 GS 750C ('77 SF-old faithful-killed by son)
                      '81 KZ 750E ('81 SF-back to Kaw. dlr)
                      '81 GS 650G ('08 back to NE&ME- (project)
                      '82 GS '82 (2) GS650GZ, L, Middlebury, G current

Comment

Originally posted by recycled64 View Post
                        If that's the original tank, likely to be an '83, sold in '82, registered as an '82.
                        you think? how would i check that? the color scheme matches the side covers.

Charlie G, its ok i live in the middle of nowhere.

Thanks for posting the pics BigD_83!

what about all that windstream stuff, I could restore that sweet CB radio in there too

Comment

Originally posted by orangechicken007 View Post
                          you think? how would i check that? the color scheme matches the side covers.

Charlie G, its ok i live in the middle of nowhere.

Thanks for posting the pics BigD_83!

what about all that windstream stuff, I could restore that sweet CB radio in there too
                          Up on the steering stem there should be a sticker which gives the manufacture date, model year. There will be a year code for after GS650GL, a Z would be an 82 and a D would be a 83. Most 83 engines (?) are painted black on other model.

The Vetter Windjammer, now that's more subjective of an item. The following is my opinion only. I generally don't like fairings and the Vetter is my least favorite. It's BIG and although the 650 has enough power to zip you all over the place, it can ill afford a barn door attached to it. I have the complete set that you have and I currently only use the saddle bags on my 1100g. That may change someday when I get tired of the wind. If you take the Vetter off you'll probably need a head light and front turn signals. The top case on the rear bolts off and the saddlebags come off with a key. The Saddlebags come off in a second if the lock keepers are in working order. The saddlebags can be handy. It's nice you have side covers matching the tank.
                          sigpic
                          83 GS1100g

Comment

Welcome, cool project.

Comment

Well I got some parts in. Had to replace the petcock because it was leaking everywhere, New battery, oil and oil filter.

Tried to start it but the starter turns over and nothing else. When i tried starting it a few weeks ago it would huff and puff at me.
                              Not totally sure its getting enough gas. after draining the gas tank to replace the petcock there seemed to be more rust than what I originally thought in the tank. What do you guys use to clean out rust from a gas tank.

Spark Plugs seemed fine but for all i know they could be the originals.

Also think it may be time to tear into the carbs, What is the best Carb rebuild kit out there?

Comment

Working...
                              X