My first GS - Tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first GS - Tips

Hey there everybody. Just joined and I must say this by far and large one of the best forums I've seen lotta smart people here.
    Mum some what new to restoring bike (3 years in) and I just bought my second bike. My first was a kz440 and I learned a lot from it. Now I moved on up and just bought a 1977 GS 750 and was looking for any help possible and also wanted to share my project. Not sure if I will just be restoring it or if I will decide to custom make it into a cafe seeing as that is the new fad and could always use a different bike in my garage. I picked her up fairly cheap but running. It had a full touring package, tho the radio was busted. So I will be tearing it of and getting back to stock. If any one wants the hard bags just PM me.

So so here's where I need you guys. I've been doing a lot of reading here but any extra tips would be appreciated if u can think of any. I already am tearing into the carbs and have them soaking. I must say I know little when it comes to the electrical side of things so hopefully I won't have to do much there. Also I was wondering if anyone could tell me the exact model I have all I know it is a 77 750 with spokes

Thanks everyone one and happy building

image.jpg

You are correct about your exact model, except the B and 1977 mean the same thing. It's a 1977 GS 750, or 750 B. The standard models don't have a letter designation.

If you've read through the BassCiff cite and the Top 10 Newbie mistakes, you've pretty well have it covered.

Just post up any specific questions you have in the Technical forums
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

So I just finished my carbs. Just a little more information. It's a 1977 GS750 and hasn't been on the rode in a number a years. Brakes a hunk I'll redo the lines with SS ones. Electronics scare me tho the seem to work. I have seen a few posts about stator problems can anyone point me in the right direction.

The bike only has 16,000 miles on it and she starts and runs shift into gears but as a precaution I feel like rebuilding the engine new gaskets seals and such. Is this a good idea? Or just wait till problems come up. The last inspection sticker on it is 20 years ago so it's been a while since she has hit the road. Any motor related things I should be looking into

Comment

With only 16,000 miles on it, I would just clean the outside of the engine and run it. After doing all the maintenance, of course.

A clean engine will allow you to see any leaks, should they occur.

Stators were mainly a problem because of the regulator that was used. Your bike would have separate rectifier and regulator. The two of them should be replaced with a single unit of a better type, typical of what is found in a Polaris side-by-side, specifically a series-type SH-775.

Comment

Your engine has just barely begun to start working right now. Don't worry about rebuilding it unless you have any major oil leaks that you just can't go without. I would do like the others have said and take care of your basic maintenance (valve adjustments, carb cleaning, brakes, electrical cleaning) and ride it for awhile.

Go through and clean every electrical connector you have using something like DeOxit or similar. Look at each of them to ensure the connectors and terminals are still good replacing those that may not be. You can look at the SH-775 regulator as a should do upgrade no matter what and even consider replacing the fuse block if desired.
          Last edited by cowboyup3371; 02-17-2016, 06:36 AM.
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Don't know if that link will work or not but just go to the Home Page and in the Technical tab you will find the Stator Papers. Nice bike and I wish mine had kick starters. PM sent on bags.
            1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
            1983 GS 1100 G
            2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
            2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
            1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Thanks guys I appreciate. Quick question I found a welcome to GSR post before that had a link to a lot of useful sites. It's was different than basscliffs. I could be making it up but I swore there was another helpful link

Comment

Maybe
                1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                1983 GS 1100 G
                2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Thats the one thanks bud

Comment

Cafe or stock..... Or as it is built for the highway. What kind of riding are you planning on doing on it?

And are you talking about cafe style, as the current fad, or a true cafe racer which is all about going fast?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                      Cafe or stock..... Or as it is built for the highway. What kind of riding are you planning on doing on it?

And are you talking about cafe style, as the current fad, or a true cafe racer which is all about going fast?
                      Thinking a little of both. I wanna strip some weight. I heard pods and a 4-1 can increase acceleration. I'll lower the bars. If I do switch up the seat I don't want it to be some hack job so well see. Just ordered new progressive springs for the front and just got a sisal wheel to clean up all the parts. That's what I'm doing now

Comment

Working...
                      X