What is the best motorcycle OILS ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the best motorcycle OILS ???

What is preferred oil for older bikes ie. 1978 Suzuki GS1000. Was told that synthetic oils even Amsoil are bad for clutches and I should stick to regular oil? I like good synthetic oil but don't want to damage bike or clutch. Or should I just use whatever I like?

This is a bit old but you get a good feel for the issues involved. I'm running 15W40 mineral oil intended for older diesel engined cars.
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

I use Shell Rotella 5W-40 synthetic diesel oil in my bikes.
      Last edited by Nessism; 02-07-2016, 04:34 PM.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

this is the first time this has been asked.

Comment

Like Ed says, Rotella. You can get it at Taiwan Tire fairly reasonably priced. { not as cheap as he can get it but it's the best bang for your buck }
          Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
          Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
          1983 GS 750

Comment

Wealth of info in a oil thread so I gotta ask.....What the F is Taiwan Tire ?
            82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Canadian Harbor Fright.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
                Wealth of info in a oil thread so I gotta ask.....What the F is Taiwan Tire ?
                LOL... Kanadian slang for Canadian Tire or as Tom says, our version of Harbor Fright
                Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
                Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
                1983 GS 750

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                  I use Shell Rotella 5W-40 synthetic diesel oil in my bikes.
                  Yeppers for sure

Comment

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Great info, I live in Canada and have a Canadian tire very close to me.
                      I would never have thought to use that oil as it is in the diesel section of oils.
                      It is cheaper then Mobile 1 or Amsoil.
                      Thanks.

Comment

Damn, I missed an oil thread.
                        ---- Dave
                        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Get any oil that meets the JASO MA2 specifications.
                          GS1000G '81

Comment

Not all synthetic oils will harm the clutch. Avoid car oils with friction modifiers. Can't go wrong with rotella.Mobil1 makes a motorcycle specific oil altho very expensive, golden Spetro is a more moderately priced motorcycle specific oil available in both synthetic and mineral.
                            Last edited by akckhim; 02-21-2016, 11:00 AM.
                            sigpic1982 gs750e 1186 oil cooled engine USD front mono shock rear
                            1994 gsxr1100w
                            1981 gs1260dragbike (this one I've owned for29yrs)

Comment

I have been using synthetic oils since Mobil one first came out in the late seventies. Amsoil, Redline, Rotella, used them all in many many motorcycles. Never had it cause a slipping clutch or any other problems.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                              X