What is the best motorcycle OILS ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by John Park View Post
    Sounds like the rings just can't quite scrape enough of the oil off the cylinders when the revs are up. Probably they have got too hot and lost some of their spring tension. The ring lands may be getting loose, too. But nothing that be would worth getting too worried about. It doesn't take much different from perfect to cause a bit of oil consumption.
    I have this bike for 11000km now and the oil consumption is always the same,so i think i wont do anything until it start using more oil than this...

Comment

Originally posted by Uncamitzi View Post
      I've got to read these forums more often... I laughed for about 5 minutes at that..................
      Bahaaaa, what do you expect from a ferrari forum? 95% of their members Never even SAT in a ferrari, just a bunch of bro-science and highschool level physics they made up in their head while they were driving their moms minivan to work.

Comment

I use 15-40 diesel oil most of the time, and sometimes a 10-40 synthetic. The very best oil, however, is clean oil. I change it often and never have come close to losing an engine or having an oil burner.
        Last edited by wymple; 04-13-2016, 07:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wymple View Post
          I use 15-40 diesel oil most of the time, and sometimes a 10-40 synthetic. The very best oil, however, is clean oil. I change it often and never have have come close to losing an engine or having an oil burner.
          That's about the size of it. 2K miles per change for me, over many, many miles and it's been a strategy that's demonstrated no downside so far. As it happens, 2K is about the limit for gear change feel, at least on mine. I might occasionally find an oil that's good for 3K, but not often.
          ---- Dave
          79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
          80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
          79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
          92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

aye.good point. The motorcycle gearbox chops the oil up is how I read it.

Comment

Yep, you can take it out of the bike after 2,000 miles and put it in a modern car that uses 10W-30, run it a long time.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Bertolli extra virgin olive oil. Its Italian, so it has to better. After 3000 miles it still can be used in most recipe's from Olive Garden...
                Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
                Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
                Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Originally posted by limeex2 View Post
                  Bertolli extra virgin olive oil. Its Italian, so it has to better. After 3000 miles it still can be used in most recipe's from Olive Garden...
                  Grapeseed oil is better for air-cooled motors; has a higher smoke point.
                  '82 GS450T

Comment

Originally posted by Fancool View Post
                    What is preferred oil for older bikes ie. 1978 Suzuki GS1000. Was told that synthetic oils even Amsoil are bad for clutches and I should stick to regular oil? I like good synthetic oil but don't want to damage bike or clutch. Or should I just use whatever I like?
                    You should use what you think is best for the bike. You know how it feels and reacts. I used Castrol 10-40, added 50w when the oil needed to be added on my 1982 GS1100L. Rode it up to 97,000 miles with no problems. it was ready for its fourth final drive. That bike loved to eat up the splines. To much engine for that final drive. At that time there was no synthetic.
                    Oh, oil is thicker when it is cold. Metal parts expand when they get hot.
                    My Honda CX500C 1981 is on full synthetic. It has worked wonderfully.
                    Last edited by Guest; 04-13-2016, 03:56 PM.

Comment

I'm running squished up bananas in my 550/675. Runs fine.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I use a purple dye in my oil so folks think I use expensive Royal Purple oil...now where is that deed to the swamp land...
                        sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                        1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Using Mobil Delvac MX 15w-40.

Explore Mobil Delvac 1™ and Mobil Delvac™ products, including diesel engine oils, transmission fluids, gear oils and antifreeze/coolant.

Comment

Oil??? I didn't know you even need to add oil! I'll give it a try and see if it helps.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                            1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                            1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
                              Oil??? I didn't know you even need to add oil! I'll give it a try and see if it helps.
                              Squeezed banana peels...
                              sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                              1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                              2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Working...
                              X