Let's Monoshock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's Monoshock

Hey guys I know this has been touched on briefly but I've never seen an actually thread about this. Me and my buddy wanna Monoshock a gs750. I've recently seen a bike like that and talked to him about how he did it. Wish I had pics of his bike.

But I'm looking for your GSR advice

- if you've done it let me know how it worked out
    - for those who are "opinionated" feel free to tell me why I should or shouldn't do this
    - any tips on construction you have
    - also I'm not to suspension saavy so and upgrades shock or tips on the actual suspension would be really helpful

This would be nice. Depending on funding it might happen with my tax return. If not I'll ride the bike as is and for sure do it in the fall.
    This will also help get any Monoshock questions all in one place

http://www.tonyfoale.com/ read this through. Get the software. Play with it, understand what happens when you change geometries, thenmonoshock. It will only help you. Good luck!

Comment

Looked at that link... Looks to be a good program. Has anyone on this forum have any experience with it. Just would like to make sure it's worth it

Comment

Its worth it. I am using it as a lerning tool.

Comment

Are you wanting to do this for looks, performance upgrade or merely as an engineering exercise?
          I ride many bikes.
          Some are even Suzukis.

Comment

Originally posted by Datsa Noydb View Post
            Are you wanting to do this for looks, performance upgrade or merely as an engineering exercise?
            First and foremost I thought it would be an engineering feat plus I've seen a couple who had it done and I do like the way it looks. As far as performance goes I'm not to sure seeing as I have never ridden one. But then again that's part of the reason I started this thread. To see the pros and cons

Comment

Be sure to do your research very well. Some more information about what you are planning would help everyone give you better feedback I think.

What kind of mono-shock did you have in mind? Linkage-less or linkage?
              Do you intend to keep the original swingarm, or swap for a different one?
              Are you planning on any frame bracing? (You really should be, as the monoshock will put different forces into the frame than the original set up)
              Are you also upgrading the forks? Just internals or do you want to do a front end swap?
              What size wheel and tire did you want to run? Do you want to be able to run radial tires?
              Is your ultimate goal to look cool, or actual performance?

Once you answer those questions, I think you will be more prepared to do this.

Comment

Buy an 83 750E / ES. It's already Mono-shock and the frame is light years ahead of what you'll be able to do with an older 750....
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                  Buy an 83 750E / ES. It's already Mono-shock and the frame is light years ahead of what you'll be able to do with an older 750....
                  Pfft - that's too easy.

He's probably seen some hacked together cafe / brat / tracker thing on Pipeburn and wants to have a go at making his GS handle worse, too.
                  Current:
                  Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
                  VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
                  And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Originally posted by hillsy View Post
                    Pfft - that's too easy.

He's probably seen some hacked together cafe / brat / tracker thing on Pipeburn and wants to have a go at making his GS handle worse, too.
                    just got a free botched half hacked 750 that I wouldn't mind trying to do this on. Never heard of pipeburn. Haha plus there's no fun in easy perfection.

Tim Tom I plan on using the original swing arm. I'll upgrade the innards of the front forks but keep the actual forks stock. The couple bikes that I've seen amost seem to have a pipe bent in the shape of a second Spingarn that is braced and that is what the shock is mounted to. As far as linkage vs. link less I haven't looked into which will perform better in that scenario I'll try to find any pics of what I am thinking. Ultimately I want to be able to make this bike that I got look good and look cool. But at the same time I'm not gonna kill the bike and performance just for that. Looking to keep the stock wheels. The frame on the bike I got the p o cut the frame pretty close to the shock mount which its to the point it's kinda sketchy. Thanks again for all ur advice. I'll try to find pics

Comment

Here are some samples

image.jpg

Comment

image.jpg Here's another

Comment

If you want your bike to look cool, build this:

Current:
                          Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
                          VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)

Comment

Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.

One of our own.
                            My 2 cents... this type of conversion requires a high degree of skill to be done right.
                            sigpic
                            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                            -Rusty old scooter.
                            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                              http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ild&highlight=

One of our own.
                              My 2 cents... this type of conversion requires a high degree of skill to be done right.
                              Yep - and that build is a whole different ball game to what the OP is wanting to do here. That bike is using a complete donor rear end and adapting that to the GS chassis as opposed to modifying the existing GS swingarn to make it a monoshock. Big difference.
                              Current:

Past:

Comment

Working...
                              X