Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs850g

Who knows how to make a simple wiring for a gs850g

Ok, I'll bite. Wiring for what part or rewiring to remove things???
    1981 GS 1000GLX.
    1981 GS 1000G.
    1981 GS 650GLX.
    1975 TS 185.
    1972 100. Kawasaki.
    1968 100. Suzuki.
    1970 Z 50. Honda.
    1984 CT 70. Honda. (Kids)
    1982 DS 50. Suzuki. (Kids)

Comment

It's already about as simple as it NEEDS to be.
      I ride many bikes.
      Some are even Suzukis.

Comment

subbed as I need this as well.

Comment

OK, the question remains, but now it's for BOTH of you, ... what do you mean by "simple"?

Are you trying to remove something?

Are you trying to just get the bike running to check it?

Are you trying to see how long you can go without required equipment before the blue lights show up behind you?

Many of us can do "a simple wiring", but we need some clues what you are trying to do.
          I ride many bikes.
          Some are even Suzukis.

Comment

I do......
            -Mark
            Boston, MA
            Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
            sigpic
            1980 GS850G with 79 carbs.....

Comment

Lets see, you need a ground wire from battery to frame. A wire from battery positive to coil. Two wires from ignition pickup to coils. Thats it four wires... Oh, four spark plug wires. Eight wires that's it...
              My Motorcycles:
              22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
              22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
              82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
              81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
              79 1000e (all original)
              82 850g (all original)
              80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by Datsa Noydb View Post
                OK, the question remains, but now it's for BOTH of you, ... what do you mean by "simple"?

Are you trying to remove something?

Are you trying to just get the bike running to check it?

Are you trying to see how long you can go without required equipment before the blue lights show up behind you?

Many of us can do "a simple wiring", but we need some clues what you are trying to do.
                Haha sorry I should have specified what exactly I was trying to do. I bought the bike with a hacked up harness, and without turn signals on it. It runs, but all wiring is a mess and I have no idea where stuff goes to. Since bike has the frame already cut, I've been working on making it a cafe racer.
                What all I would need is a functioning headlight (hi beam, lo beam), horn, and tail light, stop light. And of course I still need the electric start to work and emergency shut off.
                Thanks in advance
                P.s. I am not opposed to turn signals of course, but the plan is to use after market hand controls, so idk how that would translate in the wiring

Comment

In that case, a stock wiring diagram will work quite well, just don't connect the turn signals.

Have you been given the keys to the "GSR Library"? It's also known as "Basscliff's site".
                  Even a Google search will turn that up. He has manuals for just about all the GS bikes.
                  No idea what bike you are working on, there is not one in your sig. No location, either.
                  I ride many bikes.
                  Some are even Suzukis.

Comment

Originally posted by Datsa Noydb View Post
                    In that case, a stock wiring diagram will work quite well, just don't connect the turn signals.

Have you been given the keys to the "GSR Library"? It's also known as "Basscliff's site".
                    Even a Google search will turn that up. He has manuals for just about all the GS bikes.
                    No idea what bike you are working on, there is not one in your sig. No location, either.
                    Yup, been on the website and downloaded the wiring diagram. The problem is that the harness is all cut up and it seems like wires run where they're not supposed to be running, hence why I was looking at a bare minimum approach. I edited my signature to show it's a 1980 gs850g, my location should show as Charlotte NC though?

Comment

Yep, both edits showed up.

Although Suzuki was not known for wasting anything during a build, the wires don't always take what would seem to be the shortest route. There IS a method to the madness, though, when you look at the BIG picture. Some things don't make ANY sense at all, like the infamous "stator loop" on the US-spec bikes, 1980 and newer. However, if you consider that the rest of the world market still had an operational headlight switch that would plug in to the main harness, it makes sense that they would keep the same main harness for everyone and just change the sub-harness for a particular area of the world.

Let me know if you have particular questions about what goes where. Describing a general location where you find a wire, maybe describe that it is part of a certain-color connector with X number of wires, or even just the color of the wire in question, as Suzuki was pretty good at keeping all the colors the same for a partcular function across all the models.

Comment

depends what you whant on the wire

Comment

Originally posted by phydeauxmutt View Post
                          Yep, both edits showed up.

Although Suzuki was not known for wasting anything during a build, the wires don't always take what would seem to be the shortest route. There IS a method to the madness, though, when you look at the BIG picture. Some things don't make ANY sense at all, like the infamous "stator loop" on the US-spec bikes, 1980 and newer. However, if you consider that the rest of the world market still had an operational headlight switch that would plug in to the main harness, it makes sense that they would keep the same main harness for everyone and just change the sub-harness for a particular area of the world.

Let me know if you have particular questions about what goes where. Describing a general location where you find a wire, maybe describe that it is part of a certain-color connector with X number of wires, or even just the color of the wire in question, as Suzuki was pretty good at keeping all the colors the same for a partcular function across all the models.
                          Cool, I will take the tank off probably this weekend, and try to make some sense of it, I'll try and get some good quality pictures showing the jumbled mess that the harness is haha

Comment

Working...
                          X