Carb float height

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb float height

Hey guys so I was rebuilding my carbs and I used the guide from basscliffs site for vm carbs. It's a great write up the only thing I'm not quite sure about is setting the foot height. So it's from the edge where the gasket to where? The top of the black float? Is it upside down or right side up. Also which tab am I bending the one that goes to float needle right? Haha I could just be missing something but pics or a better explanation would be nice

You measure from the edge/lip of the carb body to the top of the float (the black round thing). Do not have the gasket in, you are supposed to measure from the bare aluminum. What you want to be looking at is the float needle as the float tab touches is. Stand the carb up properly as if it was on the bike, the float needle will come out as far as it can, then slowly tip the carb over (upside down) but not fully, you are watching the little tab on the float arm to where it just makes contact with the float needle and seats it. if you look at it a few times you'll quickly see how it all works. It's that tab on the float that you bend one way or another.
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

You can see the small tab in the middle of the float posts, that's what you bend. I usually have my carb body setup on the bench at an angle, and slowly let the float lay onto the float needle while watching it. When I know it's where it's supposed to be I measure the height.
      Rob
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Thanks buddy I'll try that later tonight. Appreciate it

Comment

Just remember to not have the gasket in there.
          Rob

Comment

If you floats look like these, where they are plastic and have that flat spot on the bottom where the brass hinge mounts, then measure to the top of the rounded part not that flat on the top. Hopefully yours are cleaner than these... Sorry don't have and after picture.

Comment

Originally posted by jdvorchak View Post
              If you floats look like these, ...
              Well, he did say that he was working on some VM carbs, so they would look more like what azr posted.
              If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

The VM carb floats have a notch on one side of the circle. The notch faces "down" ( up when installed on the bike) so there shouldn't be any confusion in where to measure to on the float.
                Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
                2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Working...
                X