Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mystery item found in Crancase - do you know what this is?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mystery item found in Crancase - do you know what this is?!

Hi All,

i recently split the case on my 81 gs650e.
    All went well except... when I separated the two casings by lifting the bottom case off the top (per manual)
    a small dome-headed pin dropped out. Problem is I have absolutely no idea what it is or where it came from! I was hoping a few wise heads who know these engines inside and out might be able to identify it and tell me where it belongs?!
    I've attached a couple of photos below with exact measurements (in mm).
    Hope someone out there can tell me what this is.
    Thanks in advance.

image.jpg

The other photo - Cheers!image.jpg

Comment

It is the neutral or gear indicator pin, goes on the end of the shifting drum (outside)

Comment

Champion! Thank you gearhead, much appreciated!
        Had no idea what I was looking at.

Comment

If it is the neutral/gear indicator pin, that would have been on the outside, left-rear corner, near the sprocket. There is also a possibility that it is the neutral detent mechanism, which lives inside the cases. The neutral detent mechanism is what lets you feel a detent between first and second gears to know that you are in neutral.

Comment

The neutral detent is NOTHING like the plunger in his picture! It is much larger! That plunger goes in the left end of the shift drum & has a spring that goes inside the hole BEFORE you insert the plunger.
            Ray.

Comment

It does look exactly like the neutral gear indicator pin but it would be odd that it fell out when you were separating as it lives in a very small hole behind where your gear indicator bolted to beside the front sprocket. Although I've torn blocks down before and that little part was stuck in the hole till the very end. One thing to look for is the very small spring that goes with it.
              Rob
              1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
              Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Working...
              X