Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not starting now!

Hello again Forum members

Some more drama has arisen on the GS750 (1977) I have had the bike turning over on the starter switch, after putting in a new wiring loom, to which I did a compression test. However come to the bike 2 days later and it will not turn over on the switch, but if I run a screwdriver over starter contacts it turns over. Checked the battery and have 12.9V I have a NOS switch fitted, but swapped it back to the old one and tried that one as well and neither seemed to work, could not see any reason why it would not turn over from switch, unless I am missing something that is staring me in the face!
    Any help with this annoying problem would be appreciated

Thank you

Little Wagon

Is the starter body grounded well? It needs a good ground to engage the solenoid.

Comment

Raygun,
      I believe so as it turned over before with no problem, and it doe's with screwdriver over starter motor solenoid
      Thanks for the reply

Little Wagon

Comment

Have you checked the clutch safety switch?

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
        1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Originally posted by jsandidge View Post
          Have you checked the clutch safety switch?
          1977 doesn't have a clutch safety switch

I would assume you've checked the connections in the headlight bucket and down near the solenoid?
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Big T
            Yes I have checked them both, watched a youtube video earlier where the spring on the starter switch had fell off and no connection was being made? So that's what I will be looking at next, but I cannot see that both switches have lost or stretched their spring? Unless the unlucky fairy has visited again lol
            Cheers
            Little Wagon

Comment

When you jumped it with a screw driver, I assume that was over the two big terminals on the solenoid.

Have you tried jumping from the + terminal to the small wire on the solenoid....?

AM trying to think how to help here.
              Do you have a voltmeter....?

Where are you located? Add a general location in your user profile (goto User CP), then you location shows up in every post, maybe someone is nearby.

Last edited by Redman; 02-21-2016, 08:45 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                Have you tried jumping from the + terminal to the small wire on the solenoid....?
                I like this line of thought. You might also attempt using the voltmeter on the wire to the solenoid and then pressing the starter button. If you have voltage to that wire then you'll know the issue is likely the solenoid. But if no voltage is there then you've got a wiring switch issue. I'm referring to the switch wire for the solenoid not the wire from the battery or to the starter.

Comment

What's the actual manufacturing date of the bike, if readable, on the frame headstock (below the speedo/tach)?
                  sigpicSome of the totally committed probably should be.
                  '58 + '63 Vespa 150's' (London, GB/RI, US)
                  '67 X6 T20 ('67 Long Beach, Ca.- misty-eyed)
                  '71 Kaw. A1-ugh ('71 SF, CA- worked @ Kaw dlr)
                  '66 Yam. YL1('72 SF-commuter beater)
                  '73 Kaw. S2A-2Xugh ('73 SF-still parts slave)
                  '78 GS 750C ('77 SF-old faithful-killed by son)
                  '81 KZ 750E ('81 SF-back to Kaw. dlr)
                  '81 GS 650G ('08 back to NE&ME- (project)
                  '82 GS '82 (2) GS650GZ, L, Middlebury, G current

Comment

Been and had a play this morning after looking at your advice and some clips on youtube!
                    Tested battery this morning with volt meter and had 12.9v checked across the solenoid and had 12.9v and again with ignition on, but not starting again on the switch
                    Tried a few meter reading, but am not an auto electrician lol and got the following readings:
                    Yellow and Green wire back from switch to starter motor connection 12.9v
                    Yellow and Green from starter motor solenoid 0.65v
                    But when testing it with screw driver across solenoid it fluctuated between 0.65 and 10.4v but the starter motor was spinning alright!
                    Plug the 2 Green and Yellows back in and this time it span off the starter switch, so have put the battery back on charge and will see if it makes any difference to the problem
                    Not that it makes any real difference but the starter solenoid is new, but I suppose that does not mean it is 100% working

Thanks again

Little Wagon

Comment

Even more fun this afternoon, the White and Black wires that go to the contact breaker (Points) needed replacing as were broken in about 5-6 places. Sorted the wires plugged in and turned on ignition and pressed the starter, it then decided to carry on cranking, even turning on the engine stop it carried on cranking! Pulled the Black and White wires and it stopped, then when I tried to start it again, nothing again!
                      Another question on the loom there are 2 earth wires, where about do they go as I cannot see where they bolt to the frame?

Little Wagon

Comment

Working...
                      X