New speedometer and RPM/tachogauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New speedometer and RPM/tachogauge

Hi! Im a new member and haven't figured out how to search the forums properly. So bear with me!

Anyway!
    I am restoring a GS850G from 1982 and now I'm about to change the gauges to new aftermarket-ones.
    But i seems that i have run in to trouble with the RPM-gauge.
    The original gauges have a cable each, one for the speed and another one for the RPM obviously.
    But the problem i find with the new gauges is that it seems that the speedometer has a socket for the original cable, but i can't find a socket to put the original cable to the RPM/tachometer. Im a little lost on how i will make the RPM/tacho-meter run without the cable. It seems that the new ones doesn't need one?
    Can someone please explain how i can make it work or what my options are?

Regards, Nille from Sweden.

What gauges are you looking at? The universal mini gauges at dimecitycycles.com are great. The tach (rpm) gauges there have the socket for the tach cable.

Comment

Modern tachs use an electronic signal from the engine, so no more cable.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

What kind of gauge did you get? I ask because I've been looking at the Trail-Tech gauges and I know they are digital, as in not cable drive. You may be able to find a signal generator to plug into the stock cable bung on the head, whoever made your gauges might have something?

Otherwise how happy are you with your current ignition? A full digital igniter setup would include a tachometer output.

Comment

I have probebly been looking for a little to cheap gauges. Seems that the "mechanical" versions for my original cable is out there. Thanks for the tip about dimecitycycles. Hope they send to sweden!

Comment

The signal generator sounds really interesting. If i can't find a good model with the mechanical tacho i will definitely seek out that option.
            My current ignition is as a almost 30 year old bike should be but i have no plans to go with the digital version. Trying to keep it kind of old-school.
            But thanks for the tip!

Comment

Working...
            X