Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

80 GS250T intro and questions! (noob for sure)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

80 GS250T intro and questions! (noob for sure)

My wife recently allowed me to purchase a brand new to me GS250T. So far, the bike is not running and half of it is in pieces in a plastic bin. I'm pretty new to all this but hopefully, with this forum's help, I'll be able to put this thing back together. Hopefully by the end of everything, this bike will resemble a bobber.

Unfortunately, the previous owner decided to remove the wiring harness and ruined some of the electrical components while doing it. They snipped wires they shouldn't have. So, looks like I need to start purchasing the electricals, then I can work on a new harness. What parts do I absolutely need to get this bike running and charging? So far I know I need new coils and igniter since the wires on those were cut off.

I'd also like to see if this motor turns. I thought I read somewhere that you can turn the camshaft with a wrench to get everything moving? Is that right? How exactly do I do that?

One last thing, I'm also uploading a pic of the motor. Coming out if it are 2 wires which have also been cut. Do these go to the stator? If so, can it be salvaged even though these wires were snipped?

Thanks for all your help. I'm sure i'll have more questions on the way. Hope I'm posting this in the right section! And hopefully I uploaded these pics the right way.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Guest; 02-29-2016, 03:00 AM.

Here is the wires coming out of the motor. I don't know why it uploaded backwards. Anyone know what I did wrong? It's right side up in my folder.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Guest; 02-29-2016, 02:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gs250guy View Post
      I don't know why it uploaded backwards. Anyone know what I did wrong?
      I am going to guess that you took those pictures with a "smart" phone?

If you host your pictures at a site like Photobucket, Imagur, Image Shack, whatever is out there nowadays, you can copy and paste the IMG link directly into your post. By doing it that way, you can post up to 10 full-size pictures per post.

Speaking of "full-size", it also helps if you limit your pictures to about 800x600. It will be large enough to see clearly, but will not dominate the screen for the few that still have smaller screens, and will also conserve space on your host's hard drive.

Comment

I'd also like to see if this motor turns. I thought I read somewhere that you can turn the camshaft with a wrench to get everything moving? Is that right? How exactly do I do that?
        You turn the crankshaft, not the camshaft. First, remove the spark plugs. Then, on the RHS of the motor (the side opposite the stand) there is a front cover with 2 screws. Underneath this is the ignition pick-up / points plate. Get a spanner / socket / wrench on the larger nut on the end of the crankshaft (I think it's 17mm) and turn clockwise. If there is any resistance....stop - you're motor is locked and you'll break something.
        Current:
        Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
        VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
        And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Oh great! Thanks for letting me know. I'll check out one of those sites.

Comment

I don't know why it uploaded backwards. Anyone know what I did wrong? It's right side up in my folder.
            What I do with my iPad is turn off the orientation lock and then flip the unit upside before snapping the pic.
            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

The thin wire is the neutral indicator sensor, should be a blue wire that connects to loom under the tank. Thick wire is hard wired to the stator by the looks of it.

Comment

Working...
              X