Old member from the old forum, back again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old member from the old forum, back again

I missed the change over of the web site, mostly because I had became greatly involved with my other favorite motorcycle purchase, a 1991 Yamaha FJ1200.

I'm the original owner of my 1982 GS1100GLZ which I bought new in 1985 from Austin Suzuki in Austin Texas.
    Up to that point, this was my dream bike (Large CC inline 4 in a cruiser package).
    All was going well, other that problems with the stock R/R, until the fall of 1987 when at the 9119 odometer reading, I was involved in a high speed, off road, nose dive, over the handle bars, crash of the high side of a steep ditch on a very tight curve.
    The bike did a complete somersault, damaging both ends of the bike, and I was left with a cranked neck and a compression facture of one of my vertebrae.

Never one to give up, I rebuilt the old girl and continued riding it my the spring of 1988.
    It has been a loyal steed, and now has over 20K miles.
    It has shown it's tail light to lesser bikes in a few speed contests, but that is more of a limited activity since buying my FJ.

The GS has also played host for my two sons to the world of motorcycling, but my oldest has been the only one that has followed in my foot steps.
    (He is a Honda man, owning a 919 and a CBR1000RR).

Honestly though, after buying the FJ, my GS has been on the back burner, and I have decided to once again enjoy this bike once again.

I look forward to reading, and catching up on these old GS bikes as I once again start putting miles on her!

I'd like to share some pictures now, to better explain my love affair with motorcycles, in general.
    Thanks,
    Leon

Shortly after bring it home, new, in 1985.

The wreck from 1987.

The GS in the spring of 1988 right after its rebuild.

My all time favorite picture with my kids!

My kids in 1996

The same kids, same bike, in roughly the same position in 2011

My son and I on the Tail of the Dragon. (1991 FJ1200 and 2009 CBR100RR Repsol Edition).
    Last edited by Guest; 02-29-2016, 08:38 PM.

Welcome back to the wonderful world of the GS, Leon.
    Great family pics.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Nice bikes!
      "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
      1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
      1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
      1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Welcome back! Nice pics

Comment

Welcome back. I like the kids "progress" pictures... they grow as fast as time flies.
          Diggin that FJ also.
          sigpic
          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
          -Rusty old scooter.
          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Great read, welcome back Leon. Let see some pics of that FJ!!
            Rob
            1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
            Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
              Great read, welcome back Leon. Let see some pics of that FJ!!
              Oh boy, you let the cat out of the bag with that remake!>>so here she is.

As bought, mostly stock, but did have a Corbin seat and a blue screen.

As she is today with several modifications,
              Larger wheels and brakes, taller screen, new fork valves and springs, Delkevic pipes with a lot of extra parts polished, HID head light, LED tail light with integrated turn signals, plus several more smaller details making this FJ uniquely mine.

I'm well aware of the dislike of the "L", over the more sporty "E", but with my FJ in the stable, I can enjoy a little of both riding styles!

Thanks for the warm welcome.
              The pictures of my kids are a true source of joy for me, I'm a proud papa!

Leon

Comment

That FJ makes up for all the thoughts I had about you owning an "L" (totally kidding) superb looking bike. What are the wheels from?
                Rob
                1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
                  That FJ makes up for all the thoughts I had about you owning an "L" (totally kidding) superb looking bike. What are the wheels from?
                  The wheels are off of an FZR1000.
                  The stock FJ wheels are, 16 x 3.5 rear and the front 17 x 3.0
                  The FZR wheels are 17 x 5.5 rear and the front is 17 x 3.5

The larger rear wheel makes putting modern radials on it a snap due to selection, and the confidence in high speed sweepers a real joy to behold.

Leon

Comment

Just for fun, this is my 1960 Triumph that my dad gave to me.
                    He bought it new in the fall of 1959.

All original, factory issue paint, tires, and seat cover with just a little extra polishing.

Last edited by Guest; 03-03-2016, 08:43 PM.

Comment

What a beautiful survivor... we should all look that good at 57.
                      sigpic
                      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                      -Rusty old scooter.
                      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

That Triumph is a beauty.
                        I think it is great that it is staying in the family.
                        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Working...
                        X