1982 GS550M Katana Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS550M Katana Rebuild

Greetings... New member and first time posting so I figured I might as well jump in the deep end and start a complete restoration!!!! I've been around bikes for 25+ years, racing and riding, but this is my first attempt at a restoration. I figured I watch enough shows on Velocity it's time to get my hands dirty!! I started looking for something interesting to work on and came across the Baby Katana and this site. After reading the history I became intrigued, I liked the look of the bike and the fact that is seems to be somewhat rare in the states. Luck have it I came across a listing in NH on Craigslist and am now the proud owner of a 1982 GS550M basket case!!!! Lol. She's a mess but only has 9,300 miles on it! I grabbed it for $300.00 which I thought was fair... So here we go!

Here's the bike when I brought it home:

The wiring is a mess, parts are missing, bolts are rusted.... but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel... I look forward to being a PITA to all of you with a lot of questions throughout this build! and yes I will search first!!!

Thanks for looking... this should be fun!!!!

Mike

Welcome aboard, Mike.
    Nice first post.
    All Kats are kool.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Welcome, I have a few extra parts should you have a need,

V
      Gustov
      80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
      81 GS 1000 G
      79 GS 850 G
      81 GS 850 L
      83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
      80 GS 550 L
      86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
      2002 Honda 919
      2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Originally posted by gustovh View Post
        Welcome, I have a few extra parts should you have a need,

V
        Thank you for the welcome everyone!

I definitely need parts! Things I can think of right now...

- Airbox
        - Side covers
        - Left / Right handlebar switches
        - Mirrors

I'm sure I'll need more though... I just started decon!

Comment

Welcome to the nut house Mike.

I did a restoration on a baby Kat a few years ago, got mine after it had stood in the Seattle rain for 15 years! Somehow, I kinda doubt yours is any worse and I can tell you she'll come around and turn out nice in the end...

Keep your eye on ebay, parts (including body panels) come up at reasonable cost from time to time usually in batches when a machine bites the dust. Hope you don't need a tank though, they're like hen's teeth.
          It's smoke that make electronic components work.
          Every time I've let the smoke out by mistake, they never work again.
          '80 GS250T... long gone... And back!
          '86 Honda Bol D'Or... very sadly long gone
          '82 GS1000SZ
          '82 GS1100GL
          '01 Honda CBR1100XX BlackBird

Comment

Wallowgreen your bike looks great! I've been scouring eBay and already have parts enroute... my tank is rusted inside and has some dents but I think it's salvageable... I've been reading on here about cleaning and sealing it...

One silly thing I am having trouble locating are the back reflectors and spacers... MA requires them for a legal inspection and I want to put it back to as close to stock as possible...
            Last edited by Guest; 03-01-2016, 10:00 PM.

Comment

Here's a few more shots from when I brought it home. I've started tearing the front end apart and cataloging what I have vs. what I don't.

When I removed the calipers I found a nice mix of fluid and rusty water since the line at the master cylinder was disconnected... Hopefully a clean, rebuild and repaint will save them!

Rats nest of wiring... ugh... I can see some tampering which should be fun to decipher and correct.

Last edited by Guest; 03-01-2016, 10:07 PM.

Comment

Welcome. Good luck with the project.
                If you become frustrated you can always shoot it up with Nerf darts, then resume work with no harm to the bike
                sigpic
                When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                -Rusty old scooter.
                Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Welcome to the site! Looks like a great bike to restore. I found this site 5 years ago when I was doing my first resurrection, I am now addicted.

I am not too far from you and will be happy to help in any way I can. However, I am a little concerned with your location, as I see several firearms that are not on the MA Approved Firearms Roster.

Comment

Way to go you guys.
                    This thread will be in the Vortex before the end of the day. haha.

I am surprised that rear wheel turned at all looking at that caliper.
                    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

I love it... lol... Hey every kid needs a Nerf arsenal!!!! I cannot confirm nor deny if I happen to grab some off the wall from time to time...

VMass thank you for the offer!!! Don't be surprised if you here from me! Can't beat experience!!!

Steve... believe it or not it does roll!!! I was also able to manually turn the rear wheel and spin the motor when looking at it to confirm it wasn't seized...

Comment

Can anyone point me to a resource, or just tell me , which model GS550 air boxes will work in the Katana? This seems to be the hardest part to source right now... although I have found air boxes from other 550's that visually look correct...

Thanks in advance!

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mv577 View Post
                          Can anyone point me to a resource, or just tell me , which model GS550 air boxes will work in the Katana? This seems to be the hardest part to source right now... although I have found air boxes from other 550's that visually look correct...

Thanks in advance!

Mike
                          Unfortunately, it looks like that bike has a model specific air box, only used on this bike for one year:

Parts Search Results

Assemblies where 13700-47320 is used

Comment

Filter assembly (filter only) gives you some options:

Parts Search Results

Assemblies where 13780-47040 is used

Last edited by Vmass; 03-02-2016, 10:13 AM.

Comment

http://www.motorsloop.com/index.php?...ducts_id=42932

http://www.ebay.com/itm/82-SUZUKI-GS...9WeH1E&vxp=mtr
                              Last edited by Vmass; 03-02-2016, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X