Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi from the Netherlands!

Hey all,

I've been silently reading threads on this forum for quite some time, but never really bothered making an account. Few days ago I had a "technical failure" on the highway, previous owner made a bit of a mess of the starter relay, the poor thing was dangling above my chain and apparently the chain finally caught it that time. It pretty much got rid of the battery plus cable attached to it, so the entire bike just died. A few hours of diagnosing later I decided to clean the starter relay up a bit and zip tie it to a more appropriate place... see there I uncovered the dirty wire.. or should I say what was left of it (a bit of insulation). I already created an account in the mean time, since I really did not understand what the heck was wrong with the thing. Probably a good life lesson, clean your **** up a bit before you assess the situation

Anyho', got 2 Suzuki GS models here in the garage, along with a Jawa 634 350cc twin two stroker. My daily driver, a GS450E from 1988 (lovely bike), and a GS650L (really could use more regular use). The GS450E is engine wise in a top notch condition and recently got itself some fresh tires. The GS650L, from 1981 I believe, was imported from the US. I don't know much of the history of the bike, but it hasn't been ridden a lot for 10 years. Every now and then it goes out for a walk, say once every 2 months or so. When it does it rides perfectly, we take the battery out and put it on a trickle charger when it isn't used for longer than a month (quite often). But it does smoke out of the left exhaust. It isn't dark blue or anything, not even close to my two stroke barrel, but it does smoke and smell bad. I know it is burning oil, not sure how badly. Left exhaust pipes are a colder than the 2 on the right, can't touch the right ones for long. Other than that completely fine and no complaints about the performance.

The GS450E is my first proper bike, before that I drove the Jawa (2 banger), which is quite special; 2 stroke powerband and drum brakes that... brake not so well. Fun bike for around town, scary on the highway. So I decided on getting a Suzuki twin.. best decision I ever made as a beginner. What an absolute blast, friendly handling, easy to maintain yourself, GOOD fuel economy and most of all forgiving.

So yeah, I'm quite enthusiastic about the GS series. Suits my calm highway rides to work and university completely I'll try and post some pictures soon!

PS: I've been riding for around 2 years, before that I had my trusty old moped from 1961... hence I thought it would be "fun" trying an old 2 stroke motorcycle
    Last edited by Tijmen; 03-06-2016, 07:07 PM.

Welkom Tijmen, what part of Holland is your location? You mentioned university, Leiden perhaps?
    IBA# 12860
    Iron Butt SS1000 & BB1500
    1984 KZ1100R
    2008 Kawasaki KLR650
    2011 Concours 1400

Comment

Welcome to the forum! I haven't seen a Jawa in the states since I was in grade school. I had a lot of fun with my 450e. Glen, you hit a 1k posts, cool!

cg
      sigpic
      83 GS1100g
      2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Welcome to the funhouse. Good luck and enjoy your bikes.
        Im a 2 stroke fan as well.
        Along with my GS I also own an old 2 stroke scooter that's a hoot to tool around on.
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
        -Rusty old scooter.
        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

I thought your post said “Hi from the Neanderthals!”
          Wow, I been watching too much PBS.
          "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
          1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
          1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
          1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Welcome to the board.
            Many years ago I spent four months working in the Netherlands, most time spent was in Amsterdam, but I spent a couple of weeks in The Hague.
            Driving around town was Okay, but finding parking for my car was a real challenge. I wish I had a motorcycle while I was over there. I must say I miss it.
            1982 Suzuki GS750E
            1979 Suzuki GS750E
            1978 Kawasaki KZ650 C2
            1977 HD CR1000
            1977 Kawasaki KZ400
            1974 Honda CB750

Comment

On the 650, out of curiosity, is it stored on the sidestand most or all of the time, or on the centerstand?
              sigpicSome of the totally committed probably should be.
              '58 + '63 Vespa 150's' (London, GB/RI, US)
              '67 X6 T20 ('67 Long Beach, Ca.- misty-eyed)
              '71 Kaw. A1-ugh ('71 SF, CA- worked @ Kaw dlr)
              '66 Yam. YL1('72 SF-commuter beater)
              '73 Kaw. S2A-2Xugh ('73 SF-still parts slave)
              '78 GS 750C ('77 SF-old faithful-killed by son)
              '81 KZ 750E ('81 SF-back to Kaw. dlr)
              '81 GS 650G ('08 back to NE&ME- (project)
              '82 GS '82 (2) GS650GZ, L, Middlebury, G current

Comment

Originally posted by recycled64 View Post
                On the 650, out of curiosity, is it stored on the sidestand most or all of the time, or on the centerstand?
                Sidestand! But so is my GS450E without any problems. Interesting observation though. I was going to do a compression test with a bit of oil, to eliminate the piston rings from the equation. It does get less after riding for a little while, but it does consistently, I think, burn oil throughout use.

Comment

Working...
                X