Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bike Wont Start! Is it because of my Carbs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike Wont Start! Is it because of my Carbs?

Hey Guys

I have recently picked up a 1980 GS850G i am having some trouble getting this old bike started!! Here are a few things that i have done to the bike so Far!

-Tested Compression All 4 of them 115 psi
    -New Spark Plugs all 4
    -New Battery
    -Fixed Choke Bar (one Carb was Stuck)
    -I have cleaned the Carbs to the best of my ability i am Far from a mechanic in fact this was my first time cleaning any sort of carb Ever!!
    -New Gas tank with brand new Gas
    -Electrical works! single lights brake lights all that Stuff!

But other then these few things I'm not sure what else i can do to get this bike started! The bike will turn over when i switch the ignition on and press the Start Button! I did have the Bike started when i used some Quick Start or Either! But it will not start without it! ones i got it started with the Quick start Can It seems to be idling fine i had it going for about 20 min before i turned it off, as soon as i turn it off and leave it for awhile i can't get it started again unless i use the Quick Start!

So i was wondering If my bike won't start because of my lack of knowledge of cleaning carbs or if there is sort of other problem i should check! Any help would be Great!!

Thanks a bunch

Are you sure you are getting fuel? It could be that once the engine is running it has enough vacuum to pull fuel down the lines, but might not be filling up the float bowls properly with the engine off.
    1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
    1977 GS550
    1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

More than likely the carbs are dirty. There is a tutorial on how to rebuilt the carbs located here http://www.thegsresources.com/carbclean.php

I would also make sure that the tank is not rusty or the in tank filter clogged. Nothing more frustrating than cleaning carbs and then putting rust and

dirt back into them. Avoid using ether, it is bad for the engine. If you must use something, a shot of carb cleaner in the airbox will work. Once the carbs are

clean and petcock working properly you should not need it.
      Last edited by Guest; 03-17-2016, 10:26 PM.

Comment

Welcome to the site.
        Agreed, a proper carb cleaning is in your future.
        That and a bunch of other fix-it tutorials are available here. http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/

Also don't let you bike sit and idle for 20 minutes with out having a large fan blowing on the engine.
        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Steps to get your bike running:
          1. THROW AWAY THE ETHER.
          2. CLEAN the carbs. You have links to tutorials posted above.
          3. Adjust your valves.

That will get the bike running. Then, when it is running, check the electrical side to make sure it will KEEP running.

Don't forget tires and brakes before you go out, but above all, check that nut that holds the handlebars.

Comment

You've cleaned the carbs once, be prepared to do them again and again if necessary.

Also check the inlet rubbers for cracking and leaks.
            The continuing renovation of a GS850L

Comment

Yes, but did he clean the carbs properly by full disassembly and carb dip or ultra sonic cleaning???
              1981 GS 1000GLX.
              1981 GS 1000G.
              1981 GS 650GLX.
              1975 TS 185.
              1972 100. Kawasaki.
              1968 100. Suzuki.
              1970 Z 50. Honda.
              1984 CT 70. Honda. (Kids)
              1982 DS 50. Suzuki. (Kids)

Comment

When cleaning the carbs make sure to also clean the float bowl as well. There is a tiny port in there that is critical.

Comment

Working...
                X