Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spewing gas while riding!

Hey guys,
    So I just got my 1982 GS650G back on the road and not even a week into riding this happens. While stopped at a light I had a kind stranger informed me that my bike was leaking allot! So what I'm seeing is gas flowing from the left carburetor breather hose as well as the left most filter.

Some Background:
    As mentioned this is a 1982 GS650G With pod filters installed but with stock jets and needles.
    Having put it away for the winter I neglected to fully fill the tank, only 3 months. It wouldn't start after the winter but after draining the float bowls it fired up,assuming water condensation in the fuel.
    To avoid confusion this is a 4 cylinder version if there are other types around.

Sorry if I didn't post correctly, I'm a noob here, let me know if anything is wrong and I'll fix it.

Thanks in advance

Whoa. Not good, not at all. The fuel issue, not your post.

Your fuel level is way too high, and/or you are dumping fuel straight down the vacuum line into carb #2 (i.e. broken diaphragm in the petcock). There are some other things that could be happening, too, none of which are good, and could lead to a flaming filter(s)

Time to take it off the road , pull the carburetors apart, and test the petcock.

Still, happy to see yet another 650G owner make their way to the GSR.
    '83 GS650G
    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
      Time to take it off the road , pull the carburetors apart, and test the petcock.
      My thoughts as well, any idea what I need to look for? I was thinking likely a stuck float.

And nice to meet you fellow 650G owner!

Comment

Junk sticking the floats open would be my first thing to check. Doesnt take long for them to varnish up while setting. Clean the seats with some carb spray and Qtips and the needles. Hold the carb upright and work the floats while watching the needles. Ensure they are falling and closing freely as you work the floats up and down.

THEN..hook an aux tank to them off the bike and see if they still overflow. Double check the float hts while the bowls are off also ( without the gaskets in place ).

In case you dont have this.....see the carb section for float ht specs.

MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I'm assuming I need to replace any gasket I pull out with a brand new one.
          Thanks for the reply I'll update after I've pulled them off.

Comment

And note there is a tab on the float hinge that hits against a float lost. this tab stops the float from dropping TOO LOW and allowing the needle to wedge itself. Be sure to check the function o the tab by allowing the float to drop fully and "feel" that the needle doesnt feel like its binding when you lift the float. If it feels even slightly suspicious, bend the tab a little and recheck. I have also had guys bring me bikes and discovered someone had installed a float upside down..so check that too.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

First try smacking the side of the float bowl with something like a big screwdriver handle. Sometimes it will unstick a stuck float. I had to do this today on a carb that I just installed.
              Somehow it was stuck and leaking all over the place. Smacked it and it's not stuck anymore, working fine.

Next time drain the float bowls before letting it sit for months, it may prevent the float from getting stuck.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I'm with the smack the carb crew as well. Certainly worth a try before tearing in there. It can also help to purge the bowls by opening the drains and letting fuel flow on prime for a while.
                97 R1100R
                Previous
                80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Working...
                X