Electrical Phenomena

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrical Phenomena

Hello! I have a 1980 GS850G which has been my project for a few months, just got her street legal a few weeks back.

Among other issues, my electricals do something funny--I will turn the key to the on position, only the neutral light will light up on my instrument cluster (things which don't work include headlight, tail light, brake light, electric ignition, which gear I'm in, pretty much every sign of electricity minus the neutral light).

I fixed this by jiggling a box on the rear left on the left side of the battery (I guess is called an ignition unit or CDI box?). I can either screw in or screw out one screw (the ground I assume) and once I do, all the electricals work again. Sometimes sparks will appear while moving the screw, most times not however.

I have sanded the screw itself down to ensure the connection is good and will try removing ignition unit to see if the connection beneath that is bad, but if this doesn't work, any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
    Alex

Maybe better to post in the electirical/ignition section.

Maybe include picture of this screw (or connection) that you are talking about.

Having a hard time thinking of any one connections that fit your description that can cause all what you are saying.

Last edited by Redman; 03-22-2016, 07:21 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Not sure exactly what you are connecting there, but the whole battery box is rubber-isolated from the frame. That means that anything that mounts to it (R/R, solenoid, fuse panel, etc.) that needs to be grounded will not be grounded until you have a separate ground wire connecting that plate on the left side of the battery to the chassis or the battery.

Comment

20160322_193046.jpg
        Sorry, this is the panel. It's the more brown screw connecting the black box, next to the clear fuse box cover.
        Please excuse the unkept wires ^^ trying to get the bike fully functioning prior to cosmetics

Comment

Working...
        X