Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suzuki GS1000e/s/gs1100/gsx1100 project...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bobtail84 View Post
    I have made a late night purchase....

I have sent the hubs to a wheel builder and after a lot of serching and reading on this forum I'm going for 2.5 X 18 front and 4.25 X 18 rear aluminium rims.

I have looked at and read all the info by Sharpy, Storm 64 and Chuck78 and the detail is fantastic, all the work was done for me so all I had to do was decide what sizes I wanted.

When the wheels are back I will post up pictures.
    Yes, some good discussion back then. Private message me if you have any questions. (R.I.P. Sharpy)
    My Motorcycles:
    22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
    22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
    82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
    81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
    79 1000e (all original)
    82 850g (all original)
    80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
      Yes, some good discussion back then. Private message me if you have any questions. (R.I.P. Sharpy)
      I will do thanks.

I was not aware that Sharpy had passed and I'm sorry to here that.
      Jeff

Living the dream...

1980 GS1000 that has been modestly modified.

Comment

You'll love what the 18" front does for turning! You mentioned emulators being used in the front end. What shocks are you using in the rear? There are many video's of adventure touring people using sealants and a type of 3M tape to get rid of the inner tubes on spoked wheels. I am going to try it when I get my mojo working. It's worth about 4.5 lbs of unsprung weight per wheel. My GS1100 is set up like this and I really want to try it with no tubes. 4+ lbs per wheel will make a big difference. I'll try to find the link. Here's a link. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPG8buNvTCc
        Last edited by limeex2; 03-21-2021, 08:32 PM.
        Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
        Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
        Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Originally posted by limeex2 View Post
          You'll love what the 18" front does for turning! You mentioned emulators being used in the front end. What shocks are you using in the rear? There are many video's of adventure touring people using sealants and a type of 3M tape to get rid of the inner tubes on spoked wheels. I am going to try it when I get my mojo working. It's worth about 4.5 lbs of unsprung weight per wheel. My GS1100 is set up like this and I really want to try it with no tubes. 4+ lbs per wheel will make a big difference. I'll try to find the link. Here's a link. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPG8buNvTCc
          I like the idea of the tubless conversion and I am going to give it a go, thanks for the link.
          Jeff

Living the dream...

Comment

I have made a late night purchase....

I have sent the hubs to a wheel builder and after a lot of serching and reading on this forum I'm going for 2.5 X 18 front and 4.25 X 18 rear aluminium rims.

I have looked at and read all the info by Sharpy, Storm 64 and Chuck78 and the detail is fantastic, all the work was done for me so all I had to do was decide what sizes I wanted.

When the wheels are back I will post up pictures.
            Cool! Was it hard to find the rear hub? I bought one some years ago, and it took some searching.. I went with 4.25X18 rear and the original 19" in front. Lately I've switched to 3.5x19 in front and a GSX-R fork and the 4.25 rear matches that nicely.

This is what it will look like with a 150 tyre, but you are maybe going for 160?

Comment

Originally posted by LarsKroghStea View Post
              Cool! Was it hard to find the rear hub? I bought one some years ago, and it took some searching.. I went with 4.25X18 rear and the original 19" in front. Lately I've switched to 3.5x19 in front and a GSX-R fork and the 4.25 rear matches that nicely.

This is what it will look like with a 150 tyre, but you are maybe going for 160?

The Hubs are quite scarce in the UK so when I saw this pair I snapped them up sharpish.

I am going to fit a 160-60 18 in the rear & 110-80 18 on the front.
              Jeff

Living the dream...

Comment

The Hubs are quite scarce in the UK so when I saw this pair I snapped them up sharpish.

I am going to fit a 160-60 18 in the rear & 110-80 18 on the front.
                That's gonna be awesome I see you did the 530 conversion, and that'll give you a lot more space. When I researched for my 520 conversion I found that D.I.D (witch I see you bought) was the best in terms of width/strength. I'll send you some measurements later today, but I can say that the only thing that gave med problems was the support arm for the rear caliper. The round one that runs from the caliper to the front of the swing arm. I haven't sorted that out yet, I've just replaced it with a flat bar mounted on the outside of the mount points to make some more room for the tire. I haven't gotten around to research what solution others have found for this. If anyone knows, please post here, or in my thread. I guess both of us are interested in tips on how to solve this. I've thought about just bending the old one, as you don't apply that much pressure at the rear, but I don't know how much momentum the rear brake generates and if this could make the tube bend further.

Comment

Update time..

The wheel builder has sent me some pics of my completed wheels which he has boxed up and posted, they should be with me at the weekend.

I have also had the tyres delivered as well, they are Dunlop sportmax alpha 13. The rear is 160/60 ZR 18 and the front is 110/80 ZR18.

Jeff

Living the dream...

Comment

Originally posted by LarsKroghStea View Post
                    I can say that the only thing that gave med problems was the support arm for the rear caliper. The round one that runs from the caliper to the front of the swing arm. I haven't sorted that out yet, I've just replaced it with a flat bar mounted on the outside of the mount points to make some more room for the tire. I haven't gotten around to research what solution others have found for this. If anyone knows, please post here, or in my thread. I guess both of us are interested in tips on how to solve this. I've thought about just bending the old one, as you don't apply that much pressure at the rear, but I don't know how much momentum the rear brake generates and if this could make the tube bend further.
                    Hi Lars, thanks for sending me the measurements, they are a great help.

I am working on a torque arm solution using 7mm thick flat aluminium bar with slight angled bends, I will put up pictures when I have a working solution. As I am fitting a 160 on the rear I was aiming to keep the inner edge of the torque arm flush with the inner edge of the swinging arm. My thoughts on whether the torque arm will bend under breaking is I don't think it will due to the fact the caliper mount is held on the wheel spindle and will be held tight by the nut on the spindle which reduce the risk of it moving, the torque arm should not be under massive pressure under braking also the rear brakes are more likely to lock up the wheel before bending the arm, I will report back what I find.
                    Jeff

Living the dream...

Comment

If there's any doubt as to the compressive strength of the torque arm, investigate whether a skinnier one can fit underneath and be in tension.
                      It would be very strong in tension and nearly foolproof.
                      Note, 'nearly'.
                      ---- Dave
                      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

This is going to be awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                          If there's any doubt as to the compressive strength of the torque arm, investigate whether a skinnier one can fit underneath and be in tension.
                          It would be very strong in tension and nearly foolproof.
                          Note, 'nearly'.
                          Dave,

That has defo crossed my mind, I am building the wheels up at the weekend so I will offer the wheel up and see where we go from there.
                          Jeff

Living the dream...

Comment

Up date time..

The wheels have been built up and balanced.

I've also found and puchased a pair of marzocchi strada shocks which are in very good condition

They look very nice on the bike.

All in all I am very pleased with the end result.

Jeff

Living the dream...

Comment

WOW,
                              Your bike looks awesome!! Well Done with your project.

Those Dunlop tires seem to be the Sport Version type.
                              I looked up those tires, here in the USA, seem like Dunlop America, does not sell those Sportmax Alpha 13 tires here, let alone any, "Sport" version in an 18" size.

Again, Great Job.... Do you see any, "Track Days" in the future?

Regards,
                              Mel

Comment

Hey Mel,

Thanks for your comments as the bike has been an ongoing project for nearly 10 years.

I know Dunlop have stopped making the Sportmax Alpha13's and they have been replaced by Alpha14's, I know they are available in the UK and Europe but I would be suprised if they are not available in the States.

As for track days I was at one in May and the next one is on the 1st of July.
                                Jeff

Living the dream...

Comment

Working...
                                X